Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Tab8715 posted:

I would love to travel Germany sometime - for a month at least. How much should I bring? How much does a hotel/hostel cost?

I'm a big World War II aficionado, but are there a lot of places to goto? I've heard a lot of the history has been buried.

I spent about $2000 living there for two and a half months, but I had a room already paid for and got to eat at the Uni mensa for cheap. There are tons of memorials called Mahnmals in the north German cities I went to, there's not a good English translation, but they're basically memorials with a warning to future generations. Check out Hamburg, St. Nikolais Kirche is amazing. It's a gothic style cathedral that was bombed out in WWII and the rubble was left where it was. The steeple is still standing and has been since fitted with new bells. It's covered in soot and there are just chunks of it on the ground, absolutely amazing. Here's a picture from my study abroad trip last summer:

Click here for the full 358x604 image.

There's another interesting bombed out church in Hannover that stands as a Mahnmal. Really, really interesting. I'd say it's worth going for sure and a lot less history than you think has been buried. Buildings in older parts of some cities still have soot on them from the bombings.

OP: How do you feel about Bayern München and should I plan my honeymoon next summer during the group stages or the quarter-/semi-/finals of the World Cup in order to watch the DFB play and rock it out at the awesome street parties that follow such things? I was in Oldenburg for the Euro Cup and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. It was hilarious when a couple of Germans I was talking to at a bar asked me if I was Dutch, since I was wearing a DFB jersey and had a little German flag stuck in my bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn
gently caress, now I want Lütje Lagen and people to drink them and spill them everywhere with. I miss Germany a lot, I had so much fun there. :[

Okay new question: Why is there always corn on the square pizza?

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Frank Dillinger posted:

whats the deal with germany's attitude to weed? seriously, people react like it's Heroin or something. People freak out when they find out I smoke weed, but then they go out to the disko on the weekend and drink themselves into a coma.

legally, people are allowed to possess 5 grams of weed without criminal charges in Nord-Rhein Westfalen, where I am, but pretty much no one smokes :/

One of my roomates in the dorm was growing pot on the railing of our balcony, in full view (mostly) of the road. Nobody ever said anything, and he sat outside and smoked a spliff every day without fail. Pot ain't a big thing in Niedersachsen, apparently.