Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I just got accepted into RWTH Aachen for a masters program so I'm pretty excited for that. No word on funding, but assuming that I'm not funded, what kind of job could I get as an American to pay some bills?

Can anyone tell me what grad school (masters) is like there? Here, masters and phd students take like 2 classes a semester and do research, but this program has 4 or 5 classes listed per semester on their program guide.

What's Aachen like? Tell me everything! The weather, the city, history, the people, the politics, etc. The more you can tell me about Aachen or the state, the better.

I met a guy the other day traveling in NYC from Köln. He studies in Köln too and said something about tuition includes a bahn pass to ride all around that state for free. Is this true? Not that I think he'd lie about it or anything but it sounds awesome. What other things will my tuition include?

I don't speak German very well. I've been learning it for a year and I'm having no trouble at all. The grammar makes sense, the conjugations make sense, this is my 4th language, etc. But it's quite apparent that trying to actually talk to this guy was extremely different from reading grammar rules. Immersing myself in German will be good if I move there, but until I
get better at it, will it he hard making friends if I don't speak German that well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

elbkaida posted:

For work, I would look at student jobs in your department first, they are usually not very hard and a good way to make some contacts.
Master students mostly do classes, labs, etc for the first couple of semesters and usually some big research project a.k.a. master thesis at the end, but that depends a lot on what you study.

As for the city: It is a not very big and not very exciting city with poo poo weather (always cloudy and lots of rain). The whole Rhein-Ruhr area is mostly known for the heavy industry and coalmining. Historically, Aachen was significant in the times of Holy Roman Empire and before, but wiki is probably better at explaining this. :) The RWTH is a top University though, great that you got in there.

And you don't need to be concerned about not speaking much German, lots of people speak English and you will probably build up on your base knowledge very fast, too.

Is it such a boring city that I'm going to hate the next 2 years of my life if I live there? :(. My professor here who graduated from Aachen and recommended the school to me told me the city was awesome. I didn't ask why though.

It seems I'll have free travel to Köln and Düsseldorf with my tuition, so how far are those places and are they fun to visit? I'd check myself but I'm sitting on a park bench relaxing from walking around for a bit. Also, it's right next to France and close to the Netherlands is it not? Are there any cool cities nearby in those countries? I'm just wondering cause I do like traveling a lot. It won't make or break my decision to accept/decline but it would help cause I do want to live somewhere I'll enjoy for the next 2+ years. The city I live in now, I loving hate mostly cause of the weather (110+ F/40+ C in summer).

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

elbkaida posted:

Haha, I didn't mean to say it is super boring or something, just not a place with tons of options for every subculture like the big cities. There's students, so there's bound to be parties. And yeah, getting to other towns is easy, so you can get around, too.

Good to hear. If anyone could tell me more about Aachen/thar area or about the school or just studying in Germany in general it would be greatly appreciated.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Schisser posted:

I study in Köln so I know a bit about the region.
I have a couple of friends who are enrolled at the RWTH, and while they all like the city, one of its biggest plus is the proximity to the Netherlands (in case you're into :420:) and Belgium.
Once you get bored of the local historical sites, hiking tours through the Eifel, nightclubs, smoking etc., go and visit Köln (theres a train leaving every 30 minutes and it takes you less than an hour to get there; lots of students travel from one city to the other just to party) which is four times the size of Aachen and has TONS of stuff to see and do.
The whole Rhineland is a pretty cool place to live. And it's the home of the German carnival.
You can PM me if you have any other specific questions.

I don't have PM enabled anymore so do you have an email? I'm just extremely excited to go there for school. When does the winter semester start by the way? I still haven't gotten the admission packet in the mail yet so I don't really know anything other than what the their website has.

Could you also tell me about living in that area? Their website says a budget of about 700 euros/month is a good budget. What kind of living space could I get with this budget, and what kind of food/entertainment can I afford?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
How much will health insurance cost me per month as an American student in Germany? And what does it offer/provide? I'm sure you German goons reading this thread have heard all of the yelling and screaming over health insurance here in the US. I have health insurance here, but I'm on my parents plan and I don't really know anything about it since I've never gotten sick or been in an accident and had to use it.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
It seems like I'll be paying €65/month for health insurance, and I think I'm required to get German health insurance even if I am on my parent's plan if I am to stay in Germany for longer than 6 months.

I wear contacts so I'm trying to decide if I'd want to get a new batch of contacts before I left the States, or if it'd be cheaper to get them in Germany. Either way, I'd need a new checkup to get a prescription. Does anyone know how much it would cost for me to see an eye doctor and to buy contact lenses in Germany?

Glasses wise, I don't really care. Those are just a convenience thing for me cause I hardly ever wear them anyway except when I go on flights or long car rides. So I don't care if I pay a couple ten dollars for something ugly as sin.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 5, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I just realized that my German teacher here in the States wears contacts/glasses and he's from Germany so I'll ask him after class next week how much he pays for eye checkups and contacts.

Does anyone know what the best way for me to transfer money from an American bank account into a German bank account is? With minimal fee rapeage? I'm a student so I'd qualify for any student bank accounts I think. The only thing I absolutely need is that the account itself is free, ATM, and online banking would be a plus (but not required).

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Liface posted:

Get a Bank of America account. They are part of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

Which includes Deutsche Bank. You can use your BoA card at any Deutsche Bank ATM for free.

It's surprising how many people don't even know that. Kids that I studied abroad with had like $150 dollars in fees over the course of a year.

Is it completely free? My current bank lets me use my ATM/check card at any ATM with a PLUS logo but if I remember right I still had to pay €5 per transaction because I was using someone else's ATM, so I just ended up pulling the maximum €300 or day that I could to limit the fees.

Edit: Plus I was more looking to open a German bank account and transfer my funds over (and change into EUR) since I'll be living in Germany for at least two years. I figure with the way the exchange rate between EUR and USD is going, my money would be worth more when I converted it back to USD years on down the road.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm not that poster but from what I understand, there are "universities" (University of X), "technical universities" (TUM), and "universities of applied sciences" or Fachhochschulen.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

plasmoduck posted:

I always get kind of confused since there's also "Technische Hochschulen" (THs) that I don't know where to fit, but the RWTH Aachen seems to be one of the top schools too! :cool:

I'd also like to know where THs fit in, especially with RWTH Aachen since I'm going there, if anyone knows :).

Liface posted:

Completely free. I used it for a year and didn't pay a single fee. If you want to open up a German bank account the best way to do it is use your card, pull out 500€ in cash, then deposit the cash to the account to start it. Wire transfers are going to cost money so just do everything through the Bank of America card.

Germany is a cash based economy. It is always good to carry lots of cash because people do not use cards that much.

I'll have to do more research and market analysis to see if my idea would be profitable/better in the long run (convert all USD into EUR, hope the EUR->USD rate goes up in the 2+ years I'm in Germany, convert back to USD for profit when I move back) due to the fees and stuff I'll have to pay. But this sounds like a solid idea too if I'm not charged any fees at all. The €5 per use fees I paid as a tourist were no big deal, but I'd imagine they would add if really quick if I actually lived there.

Fasheem posted:

I've noticed when searching different programs that some are three years and some are four years and it doesn't seem to depend on what kind of institution it is. They have three year degrees at universities, technical universities, and Fachhochshulen.

My adviser (German PhD) told me that the only reason they went from the Diplom system to the Bachelors/Masters system was to integrate with the Bologna process. Apparently companies in Germany still view their Diplom as the better degree, but more and more schools are going the Bachelors + Masters route now so it's more common place.

Edit: How much does it cost for a Bahncard 25 or 50? Bahn.de simply says that a discount is available for students under the age of 27, but doesn't list prices for it. It does say a regular BahnCard 25 is €57 (I assume per year) though. Which seems like a pretty good deal. I just priced a ICE train from Köln to Berlin and it came up to be over €200 round trip without a card. I always thought train travel in Europe was suppose to be cheap :/.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 12, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Liface posted:

Get a Bank of America account. They are part of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

Which includes Deutsche Bank. You can use your BoA card at any Deutsche Bank ATM for free.

It's surprising how many people don't even know that. Kids that I studied abroad with had like $150 dollars in fees over the course of a year.

Are there any other banks that have some kind of alliance with a German bank that lets me use ATMs over there for free? Specifically some kind of online bank with a higher interest rate?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Liface posted:

Not that I know of.

Why are you worried about interest rate on your checking? Just open up a high-interest savings account that you can manage online. I use SmartyPig because they have the best rates. Then get a throwaway Bank of America account that you keep about $1000 in. Link the two accounts and you can transfer back and forth.

German Sparkasse accounts generally have really low interest rates. I would just use the BoA trick to transfer the money for free and invest it back in the US.

As far as I can tell there's basically no personal investing culture in Germany, which is kind of sad.

I'm just going to do this. Does it cost anything to transfer money between your BoA and online savings account? I think I'll still open a Sparkasse account with €500 or something though because I'm probably going to be playing poker while I'm out there.

Trowadeath posted:

-my thread got gassed, so I'll try it out here!-

Is that what happened? Was wondering why I couldn't find it on the first two pages.

Edit: With SmartyPig, it says there needs to be a monthly contribution of $10 unless my savings goal has been met. So can I dump say $9500 into an account and set up a savings goal of $10,000 within 1 month, and next month dump another $500 to meet it and then stop paying the monthly contributions and instead just rack up interest?

Ziir fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 24, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
You're allowed to work officially 19 hours a week as a foreign student. You also don't need a visa, by the way, if you're American. You can just fly over and once you get to the place you're going to live, register with the Einwohnermeldeamt.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Fasheem posted:

That is way way more than the sources I've found online say you can work. Do you have a source? It is incredibly hard to find information about this, and there's a lot of conflicting information. (Probably because different parts of Germany have different rules, and they've been changing a lot in the last couple years.) But, the sites I've seen ALL say you can work 90 days a year only during vacation as a (foreign) student, or sometimes ten hours a week during school time with special permission.

http://www.study-in-germany.de/english/1.120.322.html
http://www.studienkredit.de/studium-finanzieren/student-loans/ (EU students can work 20 hours)

http://www.international.rwth-aache...aubnis/?lang=en

quote:

International students may take up work in the private sector during the semester or the semester break for up to three months without having obtained a work permit. Students thus may take up full time work for 90 days or part-time positions (up to 4 hours per day) for 180 days. This regulation is also stated on the residence permit.

In term-time, students are allowed to take up jobs with working hours of up to 19 hours a week. During the semester break, students may work full-time but only for a maximum of 13 consecutive weeks. To give an example: A student takes up a job at a restaurant. He is to work for 16 hours per week. According to the above stated regulation, the student is allowed to work for 45 weeks of the year. The student's employer is advised to register the number of working days of the student in order to avoid difficulties with the Immigration Office.

I guess you're right. There's something about working only 90 days total full time/180 days part time. The example they give makes no sense when I actually do the math.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Might as well ask, what's Oktoberfest like? I just realized that Oktoberfest starts sometime in September, and I'll have moved to Germany by then. I might head on over to Munich to experience it for a few day cause why the gently caress not?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is there something similar but with a couple hundred minutes?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

polyfractal posted:

More questions: How does healthcare work for foreigns? Do I need to take out an insurance plan or is it all covered under the national healthcare?

You'll have to get German healthcare like elbkaida says. I'm moving to Germany too, but I'll be a graduate student so I'll get the student rate of about €55/month. You'll have to pay more of course unless you can convince them you're a student.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Liface posted:

Oktoberfest is basically a great place if you're looking to pay out the rear end for beer, food, and housing and get drunk with a bunch of Australians. I recommend going to Cannstatter Wasen, which is like Oktoberfest, but a bit smaller, and it's in Stuttgart, so there's barely any tourists.

Can you tell me more about Cannstatter Wasen? I'd like to go to Oktoberfest just to experience it, even if it is full of tourists, but there's always next year too. It might work out better that I go to Cannstatter Wasen after living in Germany for a year though, since I should be nearly fluent with the language then.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I only have 24 more days before my flight to Germany! If anyone remembers from months ago, I'm moving to Aachen to attend RWTH Aachen for graduate school on my own (directly applied to the school as opposed to participating in a foreign exchange program). I should be over there anywhere from 2-5 years.

I finally have been offered a room in a Studentenwohnung. I don't really want to live in this particular one, so I've been looking at postings on wg-gesucht.de for a WG but the problem is that if people respond (which they usually do not), they say that they would like to meet with me first which is something I can't do.

Off the top of my head, these are the things that I need to do when I arrive. Is there anything I'm missing?

• Move into student housing
  • Buy student health insurance
  • Enroll at RWTH Aachen
  • Register in Aachen
  • Apply for residence permit

The only thing I'm confused about is the order to do all of this. For example, I need to show the student housing proof that I'm attending the university before they let me move in, but I need a German mailing address in order to formally enroll at the university. I need to show proof that I'm a student to buy health insurance at the student price as well, but once again I can't enroll at the university until I have health insurance.

Edit: I also have questions about what type of clothes to bring. I'm not sure if I should bring a suit (or at least a sportcoat). Will I need one?

Ziir fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 8, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Liface posted:

As for wg-gesucht, I can understand why someone wouldn't let a random person move in without meeting him or her first. Maybe you can live in a hostel for the first two weeks and go around touring different WGs?

Yeah, I understand why people would be wary.

It's either I move into the dorms I'm guaranteed, or I show up to Germany without a home and hostel it up for x days/weeks/months. I'm perfectly fine with hosteling it up and looking for a place to live because I really don't own anything anymore (sold it all, I'll be flying to Germany with a checked bag for clothes, and carry on and personal item for things I don't want to check like my laptop). But my mom was freaking out about me not having a place to live until last week.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Another thing is, what type of (American) paperwork should I bring and what should I leave in the states? I assume my social security card is going to be useless in Germany and I should just leave with my parents. What about immunization records?

Edit: And birth certificate?

Ziir fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 8, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I finally opened up a checking account with Bank of America today because I think it was Liface who recommended that, because they're part of the Global ATM Alliance. I was led to believe that this meant free debit card pulls from the ATM at any Deutsche Bank, but what this really means is that they get rid of the $5 non-BoA charge. The 1% currency/transaction fee is still there (added on top of the US dollar amount).

Do I just chalk up the 1% charge as a convenience factor or is there a better option? Obviously it's a pretty small charge, but I'm trying to make the most out of my money since I'm pretty much using all of my savings just to make this move.

Also there was talk about the differences between the US and German university system. I'd like to hear more stories and accounts please :). I know as a grad student it'll be slightly different than the undergrad level, but the experiences should be relatively the same I think.

schoenfelder posted:

Engineering, computer science, medicine are the ones that come to mind.

The vibe I'm getting from talking to my European friends that I met on vacation seems to be that there is a general shortage of engineers in Europe, and you just reinforced that (at east for Germany). Why is that? When I was on vacation in Switzerland visiting a friend, she made it seem like nobody went to school to be an engineer, and instead more people went to university for more practical degrees (if they went to university at all, that is). She made it seem like I could pack up and move to Switzerland and easily find a job as an aerospace (or mechanical) engineer with no issues.

Contrast that with America, a ton of people go to college, and a ton of people major in engineering. My graduating class last May consisted of something like 150 mechanical engineers and 20 aerospace engineers, and they're all fighting for jobs and a quite a handful are unsuccessful. My numbers might be wrong but you get the point.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 14, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Liface posted:

Interesting. I never even noticed that they were levying a 1% fee. I think that's the best you're going to be able to do, though. Just get a German bank account as soon as possible.

Yep, it's in the fine print and on the wikipedia article. 1% is $3 per $300 max pull, so it's not that a big of a deal but I'm sure it'll add up after a while. This is probably the cheapest I can transfer money into Germany though, barring that I withdraw my entire savings account and bring it over in cash. Unless I can find a German bank that would let me transfer money from my American savings account for free?

Gold and a Pager posted:

My local bank charges me $1.50 for using other ATMs and no % currency conversion. Last time I took money out it bascially cost me €1 more than what was on xe.com for the day (as opposed to when I took money with my HSBC card and it charged me like $9 extra). So maybe check out some of your local banks? (or are you a resident of Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, or Texas?)

Also, we're going to be city neighbors (I got to Cologne two months ago, here learning German).

As for your visa question, I got mine in about an hour, just had to show proof of German health insurance, my VHS language school acceptance letter and a print out of my bank statement (plus a photograph and the fee). I was actually quite surprised.

I pretty much just brought my passport and drivers license, though I'm not really expecting to drive.

Sup (future) NRW buddy? How do you like that Kölsch? I met a ton of Germans from Cologne when I was vacationing in NYC. We went out to a German biergarten one night and they told me to order a liter of Kölsch because that was their best beer and the beer I'd be drinking. Can't say I enjoyed it too much though.

But seriously though, are you just there for a semester for a foreign exchange program? How hard was it making friends and finding things to do with people? I guess if you're part of a foreign exchange it'd be easier as it seems like people in those programs tend to stick together. Is there anything interesting in Cologne? I'm sure there is and I'd go visit regardless since my tuition pays for a ticket with free travel throughout NRW.

Also, I'm not a resident of those states and I think I figured out the whole visa/order of registration thing after emailing the international office. They said showing my admissions letter should be enough as proof that I'm a student.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
For people asking about prepaid SIM cards, I found this wiki on Lifehacker http://paygsimwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Germany

Going by that list, is there a reason I'd want to choose Blau (it's been recommended before) over Fonic? Fonic is on the O2 network so it's faster/better. Both costs ,09/min for calls/SMS. It's 9,95€/month for unlimited data whereas Blau is 9,90€ for 1GB.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Quoting for new page (and new question):

Ziir posted:

For people asking about prepaid SIM cards, I found this wiki on Lifehacker http://paygsimwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Germany

Going by that list, is there a reason I'd want to choose Blau (it's been recommended before) over Fonic? Fonic is on the O2 network so it's faster/better. Both costs ,09/min for calls/SMS. It's 9,95€/month for unlimited data whereas Blau is 9,90€ for 1GB.

So can anyone tell me how healthcare works in Germany? I saw the PBS special on healthcare around the world, and I understand I need to buy public health insurance as a student (which should cost me about €60/month?). I also know that the first time I visit a doctor in the quarter, I have to pay a copayment of €10. But that's all I know really. What does my student rate cover? If I break my leg will I go bankrupt? If my ears are clogged and I need them cleaned will I have to pay an exorbitant amount? How much will my prescription of antibiotics cost me? Is dental covered? How much will each visit to the doctor cost me? Can I get vaccines I don't have (such as chicken pox... yes I'm 22 and have never had chicken pox)? Eyes? I guess I'm looking for stories and dollar amounts.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Schisser posted:

Thirding one for a couple of Kölsch.

Depending on when I may take the train down to Köln to join you guys.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Quick question about German:

Is it proper to ask, "Sprichst du Englisch?" to people my age or younger (or even friends), or should I always keep to the formal form? It doesn't make sense in my head to always ask, "Sprechen Sie x?" if we were already friends or met at a bar or otherwise informal setting.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Shimmergloom posted:

I think you should be fine asking in the "Du"-form unless it's some random stranger you've just met. Then "Sie" is more polite, also in any kind of business setting.

What about the question, "Wie sagt man … auf Deutsch?" That's the phrase we learned in my German class, but I never liked it because I always thought it should be, "Wie sagst du / Wie sagen Sie" but of course what do I know.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

shortkookyllama posted:

My friend and I are going to Germany sometime next year to go visit some of the amusement parks in Deutschland, like Europa Park and Holiday Park.

Is there anything we should know about the parks there compared to American theme parks? Any parks in particular you recommend that offer some great rides or great experiences? Is the food just as big of a rip-off as it is in American parks?

I've been to Germany before, but confined myself to primarily Dresden and Berlin. Is it relatively easy to say travel from Rust to a major city without car?

Are there any awful kitschy things we can do in Germany? Like is there a pair of the World's Biggest Lederhosen we can visit? Thanks for any responses. =)

I went to Europa Park via train from Zurich, so I'm sues you can get there via train in Germany. I just thought the park was very lackluster.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

shortkookyllama posted:

Are there some other ones in Europe you'd recommend?

Europa Park is the only theme park in Europe that I've been to, so I can't really recommend anything else. I went with my girlfriend and don't get me wrong, we had a good time, but there just wasn't that much to do or see and we were only there for half of the day because we had to get back onto the train to Zurich, but even that felt like it was too long. It really doesn't compare to say Disneyland in terms of things to do, or Six Flags in terms of rides. Plus, the lines were all super long and had little shade.

FLX posted:

I'm flexible this week as well. How about Tuesday or Wednesday, or depending on when Ponelmon is back, Friday?

If you guys wait till next week I can come join you guys as well.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Gold and a Pager posted:

How about next Wednesday, 18:00 at Tag Nacht Cafe (adjusted as necessary)?

That way everyone can participate.

Works for me.

I'm moving to Germany tomorrow. I'm so loving excited.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I don't think I can make it to the Köln meet next week. I don't get my semester pass for free travel in NRW until October 1st when the semester starts (makes sense I guess...) so it would cost me something like €18,30 each way which seems like a lot for a few drinks. So I'll take a rain check for some other time!

Can someone explain to me how this whole bottle deposit thing works? Every other time I was in Germany I never really cared much to get back x cents for my bottles so I just left my bottles standing by a trash can for someone else to take. But since I'm living here now I guess I should start caring a bit? I was at an internet cafe the other day and bought a coke, and they don't make you pay until the end so when I went back to pay the guy asked where my bottle was and kept repeating something about the Pfand and took the bottle back. I really don't know what happened so I just left. Other kiosks I go to to buy beer I see people returning their bottles as they buy new bottles. Am I suppose to keep them or what?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Holy poo poo, the McDonalds here has motherfucking chicken wings. CHICKEN WINGS. The last time I've had these was in a coastal city on the Mediterranean in Spain and I thought they were the most delicious things ever. I figured it was served only in Spain, so you bet I was excited to have them again when I went to Barcelona later on in the summer, only to find out that no McDonalds in Barcelona has even heard of chicken wings.

(Blown out picture taken in Spain, but it's the same wings)

Ich weiß, was esse ich jetzt.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Since I've been here, I tried to test into a German course offered to Erasmus students. I tested A2 level which was "too low" because the lowest course offered to Erasmus students is B1. So instead, they put me in a regular A1 course for international masters students who are required to take the course (I'm not required).

I really don't think I belong in this class because this is seriously the very basics. It's like German 101 back in undergrad all over again- me sitting there "getting it" while wanting to constantly pull out my hair because the rest of the class is too slow. Only this time I don't have to "get it" because it's all review for me, so I'm just sitting there in class bored out of my mind and finishing all of the worksheet handouts before she's even done passing them out to the rest of the class.

Now that I think about it, I'm almost sure I tested A2 which meant I was ready to start B1, but they took that as it being "oh this guy tested at A2 so he should go in an A2 course" except they apparently don't have any A2 courses right now. I think the furthest this class will get (all 100 hours of it) is modal verbs and the perfect tense, both of which are already deeply engrained in my mind.

So I can either pay the 200 EUR and continue this class which I really don't think I'll get anything out of, or buy a book how ever many euros and just dedicate a few hours a day reading it/doing worksheets and then practicing conversations with people. I'm really tempted to just do the second. Can anyone recommend any good books with a lot of worksheets (as opposed to silly activities and games) that would be right up in my alley? It has to be something that would be readily available at a bookstore locally.

Edit: Hell, I'll even take the 200 EUR and find a private tutor once/a few times a week and I think that would be better than this class. How much do private tutors go for here typically?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
B1 seriously just starts with subordinating clauses? poo poo, I thought that would be early A2 stuff cause that was German 101/102. drat it, I'm definitely going to see if I can get in first thing tomorrow. I'm pretty sure what got me on the placement exam was me having been awake for 30+ hours, several plane flights and I didn't review any of my adjetive article endings. Hell I didn't even know I would be taking the placement exam until I got there.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

FLX posted:

Gold and a Pager and me had some beers at the Tag und Nacht Café yesterday evening. We decided to do this again some time, maybe with a few more Kölngoons and maybe somewhere else, where we won't be the only ones under 60, not playing chess competitively ;)

Definitely, once I get my semesterticket in October :).

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Why is everything in Germany so slow? Opened a bank account last week, still waiting for the bank card to be sent to me. Until I get it, I can't do anything and I'm running out of money (I have all of my other money in an online account in America, but I'm waiting for the German one to open to transfer it over). Bought insurance too, and I'm also waiting for the card in the mail. Bought a bus pass the other day, and they told me to come back the next day to pick things up.

Meh. I'm used to getting things when I pay for it. I want it now drat it.

(Not really ranting, it's probably the biggest difference in culture I've noticed)

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Shimmergloom posted:

Well, I don't know how it's handled over in the US, but the banking cards / insurance cards etc. are being ordered at your local bank and then printed at some central place or with a subcontractor of the bank. That just takes its time, I can't see how it could possibly go faster than 5 days.

I don't know about insurance cards cause I've never bought insurance before until I moved here, but in the US every bank I've been to has piles of temporary bank cards that they activate and give you when you sign up so that you can start using the ATM/online banking right away.

schoenfelder posted:

Of course you can do something: Go to the bank with your account number (which you should already know, otherwise go to the bank and ask for it) during business hours, go up to the teller and tell him you want to withdraw X EUR. Voilà.

It's a complicated and long story, but I need online banking access to do what I want to do, and I can't access online banking without my bank card because they gave me this machine that's kind of like a WoW authenticator. I need to slide my card through it to get a code to log in to online banking every time. It's a pretty neat idea.

Edit: The bus card was just a 1 month student discounted bus card since I'm taking a language course at the university. I guess they had to wait for my name to be printed on it which took a day... or something.

Speaking of bus cards and busses, am I suppose to always go in busses in the front door so that I pass the driver (and then wave him my bus card as I walk past like I see others do?), or is it OK to go in on the back/middle doors too? I see people doing both, but I'm pretty sure the doors say to please go in front.

Also, when restaurants/cafes have tables set up outside in the plaza, can I just go sit down at one of them and a server will come to me? Or do I go to them first and tell them I want a seat like in the US? On a similar note, do people tip here? I've never tipped before when I was in Germany, but I spent a month in Switzerland where it was considered polite to tip there on top of the outrageously expensive food.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 10, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Quick- What is the daily withdrawal limit for DeutscheBank ATMs? In the US almost all ATMs have $300 daily limits unless you're in Vegas or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
DeutscheBank isn't my bank though. I have a Bank of America account from the US that lets me withdraw for free at DeutscheBank ATMs. I opened a Sparkasse account here the other week and have my bank card finally, so I just wanted to withdraw money from my BoA account through DeutscheBank so I can have some money in my Sparkasse account.