Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

elbkaida posted:

Yah, with 700 Euro per month you'll be OK in most places for a student lifestyle (shared flat/dorm, not too much expensive food, etc). For expensive places like Munich you might need a bit more to live comfortably.

And I'm not really clear anymore about what you actually want to do. You just want to study? Great, come on over and try it! Or you want to find a decent job? That's harder without any contacts.

There is no way you could make it off 700 euros a month living in Munich.
Good luck finding a decent apartment or a shared flat in a decent location for 300 euros a month.
I got extremely lucky and found a WG for 330 a month. It was an amazing location, but it took me 3 months to find it and the people I was living with weren't that cool, though.

Regardless, expect to be paying 350-400 (student prices) or 500+ for anything to write home for an apartment, 60 euros a month for a month long public transportation pass, and then you gotta pay for food. Food isn't cheap in Munich either. Also, if you live in Munich, you're gonna be drinking beer and beer is a fairly high priced commodity.

If you want to do anything in Munich other than eat, sleep, study, and drink water, then I'd suggest budgeting it at at least 1,500 euros a month.

Muddy Terrain fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Previously on GBS posted:

There are tens of thousands of students in Munich who don't have anywhere close to 1500 Euros and get by just fine. Try 800.

and they also get mommy and daddy to pay their rent
Also a lot of the students there are from Munich, so they still live with their parents.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've always wanted to go to Magdeburg, but never got a chance.
I'll be moving back to Germany in September, so I still got a chance :D

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So can anyone give me some advice on taking the Test DaF (Deutsch als Fremdsprache)?
I hear it's hard as gently caress. I studied German in college... but I feel I'm a bit rusty now. I can read books in German fairly well with no problems and I can understand 90% of what I hear, but speaking it I feel I'm pretty rusty, and I haven't written anything in German in over 2 years.

Is there any online test prep material anywhere?

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stinkyhead posted:

What are the stereotypes about people from different parts of Germany?

just off the top of my head...

Bavarians are conservative country folk and farmers
Berliners are the wild, bohemian communists.
Easterners are lazy and unemployed and leech off the rest of Germany.
Saxons talk funny and sound stupid
Frisians are backward and poor and don't have cars; only boats.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just insist on taking the B1 class, even if they say no.
Steter Tropfen höhlt den Stein!

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fasheem posted:

People who studied German before going to Germany: how quickly did you pick things up once you got there? For someone who is intermediate(ish) based on classroom learning, how long does it take to actually get any good at the language?

It all depends on your level of commitment to learning the language. If you put some effort into not only studying, but hanging out with actual Germans and experiencing 'real' German, you'll be set. You'll have to get used to different styles and dialects of spoken German, of course, which can be quite challenging at times, but that's one of the funnest things for me with regards to German.

Languages are best learned in the most intimate of situations. You learned English from countless hours as a baby bouncing on your mother's knee, etc. Obviously, you aren't a baby anymore so that experience is gone, but you can still learn quite a lot of German on the pillow, so to speak, with lots of cute German girls or boys (whatever floats your boat).

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ich saufe gern Wein! :D

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zwille posted:

Fold it up real tight and use it like a lighter.

Really, once you get the general idea it's not hard to open a beer bottle that's not a screw-top. Friend of mine used to watch so many US television he got used to thinking he could open up beer bottles that way it that he once hosed up his hand trying to twist open a German bottle.

My favorite way to open a bottle of beer still is using the edge of a bottle opener or a closed multitool. Nobody ever gets the irony though. :(

because it's not ironic

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Liface posted:

Irony - the difference between what is expected and what actually occurs. You expect the bottle to be opened with the bottle opener. Instead, the bottle is opened with the edge of the bottle opener.

Hence, it is ironic.

Using a bottle opener to open a bottle isn't ironic.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ziir.... I'm assuming you're American, and if you are, I feel your pain.
No cheap places to buy decent shoes in Germany :(

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hungry Gerbil posted:

There a tons of place to buy rubbish shoes for cheap though.

"cheap" in Germany is like 40 euros.
Moreover, us Americans (God's people) don't want to overpay for crap shoes. :smugdog:

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's similar to writing goin' or walkin' or whatever.

lol saying "hab" or "hab'" is a dialect thing; not laziness.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ziir posted:

Speaking of laziness, something I've picked up here is saying tschö (no I'm not mishearing for ciao) instead of tschüss. Is this some kind of laziness or another dialect thing?

It some extent laziness does create a significant amount of language change.
But to say this is wrong or bad is just silly. It's a natural process that happens to all languages around the world, and it would be incredibly bizarre if this process didn't happen in a specific language. It's like saying English speakers are lazy because they don't pronounce the "e" on the end of the word "name" or "came" or something. Or if someone called you lazy because you used the "gonna" or "wanna" construction instead of "going" and "want to," when in fact, not using those forms usually marks you as a foreigner or as really, really weird.

Speaking of the hab' vs. habe, my girlfriend and her family leave off the final e vowel sound off the verbs like that so much that it sounds weird to me now to actually hear that final vowel pronounced at the end of verbs.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Augustiner Edelstoff or :frogout:

this and Aventinus

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jive One posted:

I realize this question is somewhat specific but can anyone recommend important ancient/medieval Germanic authors, works or literary collections? Mainly stuff from the Holy Roman Empire or even earlier if possible.

Do you have access to JSTOR?
This website might be of interest to you:
http://www.deremilitari.org/
It's military history, but there's still some interesting stuff in there.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone in Munich wanna kick or something sometime?

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What the gently caress is the deal with German bar tenders not knowing how to make an actual White Russian?
Seriously... they just fill up the glass with Kahlua and then put whipped cream on top.

Big Lebowski style or nothing imo

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I take that back. I was at the Ambulance Bar in Berlin a few years back and they made the best White Russians.

But yeah... was at some bar the other night:
me - "I'll take a White Russian."
*few minutes later bartender brings some drink back*

me - "Uhh... what's that?"
bartender - "A White Russian"
me - "It looks pretty black."
bt - "Yeah it's a white russian."
me - "Nah man... A white russian. vodka, Kahlua, and milk."
bt - "That's called a Big Lebowski."
me - "Oh so you've seen the movie?"
bt - "Yes of course."
me - "And what did the Dude call that drink in the movie?"
bt - "A white russian"
me - "owned :smug:"

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's difficult if it's just one guy checking tickets, but if there's two, you're in luck!

Usually what happens when there's two of them is that one will start on one end of the train/cabin/compartment and the other will be at the other end and they'll work their way to the middle. This is what I noticed at least. Best thing to do is if you're on one end, get up and walk to the other end where the person is checking tickets. They'll ask to see your ticket and just say that the guy down on the other end already checked your ticket. I've done this twice, and it's worked both times :)

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can police just randomly search you in Germany?
A friend and I were walking back home one night and the police stopped us and wanted to search my friend's backpack because he looked like "he was on drugs" or some poo poo.
My friend let them search his backpack and the police found nothing and that was it.

How do German laws searches, warrants, etc. compare to U.S. ones?

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zwille posted:

https://www.kijiji.de (redirects to http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/) seems to be pretty big, and Zweite Hand (in print) used to be huge in Berlin, not sure about now. http://www.zweitehand.de/

Friend of mine swears by kijiji.de, though mostly for stuff like old furniture.

wow thanks for this!

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Landsknecht posted:

Here's a question specifically for anyone who has dealt with the münchen studentenwerk for housing:

Basically I'm going to LMU starting in oktober later this year, and I've signed up for residence, but I really want to know my chance of getting in somewhere that's not lovely. Is it worth it to wait and hedge my bets or snap up a studio apartment for 500/month in schwabing?

"studio apartment for 500/month in schwabing"
Gonna need more details.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A lot of apartments in Schwabig are overpriced and dumps. So keep that in mind.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm looking into renting a car in Munich and driving it to Budapest and back.
What's the cheapest rental place in Munich?

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone know of a good website I can buy soccer/fußball cleats from?

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone know how/if it is possible to get a roommate kicked out of flat?
I live in a 3 person WG, and me and roommate #2 are pretty cool and what not. But roommate #3 is pretty loving nuts. She basically an adult child and refuses to interact or have conversations with us. She throws temper tantrums, flips out about the smallest that honestly don't matter at all, is incapable of interacting with us in an friendly manner, etc. The other day I came into the kitchen and asked what she was up to. She said she was reading something, and I said, "Oh cool. What are you reading?" and she literally flipped poo poo and went nuts because I used the word 'cool.'

It's basically at the point that we don't want her to live here anymore, but the lease thing is a bit complicated. The landlord rents each room out to each person with their own separate lease, etc. So it's not like one person has the main lease.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Arwarker posted:

despite the fact that they belong to the most educated people in Germany and all of their literature (and parts of med school) are in English. I somehow don't see that happening in Sweden.

Wait what? one of my old roommates was doing medical studies stuff to become a doctor and all her stuff was in German.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

irohol15 posted:

I had a French teacher in high school who told me to fall back on every other language before English. I know it sounds stupid, I was just double-checking.

Can't trust French teachers.

And you believed your teacher? lol

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Actually it's "Knöößli"

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone know of any good websites that sell camping equipment and stuff?

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

elwood posted:

Discuss. :psyduck:

viertel nach zehn is the only choice here :D

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Square Pair posted:

I have my hotel set for opening day of Oktoberfest in Munich for 4 days. My business partner however only wants to catch the opening day and maybe the next in Munich and then head to Stuttgart for their fest. I know they have an Oktoberfest (as well as every other city in Germany) - but has anyone been? I know it isn't as big as Munich's but I assume it is less "international"?

Why would you go to Stuttgart for Oktoberfest?! :shepface:

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I also live 7~ minutes walking distance von der Wies'n :smugdog:

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Masturbatory Manatee posted:

Leaving for Munich tomorrow, thanks for all the help dudes. Anyone with more munich, berlin, prague advice can email me reggieray2k gmail

I live in Munich. What ya need?

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've only been to Mainz once and I don't really remember much except that hilariously awful dive bar Bavaria or whatever it's called.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah if you're gonna throw a party, just inform your neighbors your having one and if any problems occur for them to talk to you and not the police.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
American tourist attire:
flip flops
plaid, khaki, or striped shorts
polo t shirt
massive aviators

edit: the number 1 tell tale sign that someone is American, regardless of whatever else they're wearing, is if they have a baseball cap on.

Muddy Terrain fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 2, 2011

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
es war vs. zwar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
vote for die Linke!