Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Germany seems to be the origin of most of the modern "Euro" boardgames - do a lot more people in Germany play such boardgames than elsewhere?

Also, from playing online, Germans seem to play at a much quicker pace than everyone else - is this also true in real life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Hm, I guess I should have asked for more specific information about the german attitude to boardgames. I mean, is it something families do? Do friends regularly get together for a boardgame-play? Is it something where people just pull out a boardgame when they can't think of something else to do, when friends are already there? Is it a general thing, like if you have German friends and pull out a boardgame they'll be cool with it, or is it still a niche thing like it is in England, where most people will think you're a nerd, but it's just a much bigger niche?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

It's just because I like that sort of boardgame, and in most of the UK (ie. outside the biggest cities) finding enough people for a relatively complicated Euro-game is a challenge. Since I've played a fair bit on Brettspielwelt, the fact that probably more than half the players there are German (while a lot less than half the world is) made me curious how much of that was because the site is German, and how much was because Germans just do play such games a lot more.

You can probably just about get UK people together for a game of Pictionary or something involving dice, but unless you're in London it's a chore to even find one person to play, say, Caylus or Puerto Rico with.

So I was curious whether, if I were to move to Germany, I'd have an easier time with that. (Not planning to move to Germany just for that, of course!)

Edit: this is not an invitation to declare how you have TEN!! British people who'll play boardgames with you, just assume I was exaggerating a little bit.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 24, 2009

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

If one were in Germany, speaking otherwise competent German but using the neuter form of everything, are there any (or many!) instances where this would make you hard to understand, or offensive, or would it just make you sound funny, like someone visiting England would sound a bit funny but perfectly comprehensible if they were to say "the table, she is wobbly"?