Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is anyone in this thread a student in Berlin? Can you give me an idea on the cost of rent, food, entertainment and stuff like books etc? Hoping to do an exchange in Berlin next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

And how much would you budget for a US College town? I'm in Australia so I have no idea what the cost of living in the US is like.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Trowadeath posted:

- Language: 3 quarters at a CC is not gonna be enough, so will I be able to take German courses and get my BS at the same place?

Check and see where you think you might match up on this chart http://www.uq.edu.au/uqabroad/forms/language-grid.pdf

My university's exchange department has this to say about it

quote:

In order to have sufficient language skills to study in a foreign language, you need to have achieved a minimum level of B2 on this chart. Even with the level of B2 you are strongly recommended to take an intensive language course for 2-4 weeks before beginning your studies in a foreign language.

If you're still not quite up to a B2 level you might want to see if you can get some private tuition to boost your language skills so you're not struggling if you decide to go over there.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Gold and a Pager posted:

One thing for Americans to keep in mind is that incoming calls don't cost minutes or money

Wait, incoming calls cost you money in America? That's just bizarre.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Tricolor posted:

Are there many work opportunities for foreign students?

schoenfelder posted:

No.

Ich möchte in Berlin studieren. Für Studenten gibt es absolut keine Jobs, oder?

I plan on participating in my university's exchange program, and I will use a combination of savings, loans and such to help fund my exchange. How hard is it to get any part time work as a student, in Berlin in particular? Would I be able to find bar work and the kinds of things that backpackers tend to do?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I'm an EU citizen so I don't need to worry about student visa or the not being able to find a suitable EU citizen first thing.

Most of the stuff I've read online and such says that it's 99.9% impossible to find a job as a student and you will be too poor to afford anything and has been generally pretty pessimistic so I figured I'd ask here, too. The other stuff might have been more aimed at US students or something, though.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Little Treasure posted:

I am interested in the different clothing styles of university students (or that demographic in general) in Germany.

Do they tend to dress more casual or formal, for the most part?
Are there any "scenes" that are unique to Germany?
What attitudes and/or lifestyles are associated with German fashion styles?
Are there equivalents to fashion styles to ones in the US?

I don't know if this would be too fashion-oriented rather than like a regular Joe sort of thing for what you're after, but there's a good blog here if you're interested in Berlin street style. http://stilinberlin.blogspot.com/

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I got the impression that is is a massive hipster, and enjoys being a hipster tremendously but thinks it would be uncool to share that, so he has to think of a roundabout way to write about how much fun being a hipster is. Just sayin'.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

One time I was talking to an American friend (who doesn't speak German) about language stuff and we came to how difficult ü (/yː/ or /ʏ/) seems to be for Anglophones; I recorded some u/ü transitions and minimal pairs and she couldn't even perceive that there was any difference at all. And on the flipside it took me a long time to figure out that English actually has voiced stops at the end of words sometimes, simply because German doesn't.

Can you post some u/ü minimal pairs here because it's the only part of my German pronunciation I am not sure about. I know how most other things are meant to sound even if I'm bad at voicing them myself.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

What healthcare do I get as an EU citizen foreign student? This time next month I'll be living in Germany!

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I'm going to be living in Freiburg for around 4 months and I need phone recommendations too. I'll be bringing my unlocked iPhone 4 so I'll need a microsim with data and voice/texts. Are there any that have better roaming rates than others if I were to go to France or the UK while I'm there?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

eviljelly posted:

I'm considering moving to Germany. I know this isn't the immigration thread so I can move this question there if it'd be better answered there, but any idea on a work visa situation for a Canadian citizen? I've got a BA from Canada and a JD from the US (probably both useless in Germany) and I've worked in insurance for a while, although it's been over a year since I've had a proper job. I speak almost no German but I'm willing to learn, of course.

Before hiring someone from outside of the EU, a company has to show that they cannot hire someone from inside the EU who could fill the role, so unless you have an outstanding and hard to find skill-set it would be quite difficult, I would imagine.

If you are able to get a UK passport as a Canadian, your next barrier would probably be language. I don't really have any experience in job searching in Germany for English only jobs though so I can't help there.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Learning some grammar out of a book is completely different to living in Germany and having to speak German all the time, I learned for two years at university before I came and felt like I knew nothing. Even if you do learn some (which I would recommend) on your own, at least do a course for a few weeks when you arrive here.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Nobody knows what a queue is, and the idea of giving staff lunch breaks at different times is alien to Germans, so lots of stuff (banks, offices, anything that isn't a food or retail outlet) closes for an hour for lunch. Also it's really hard to find tea that isn't some weird fruity herbal relaxation tea. That's what it's like here in Baden-Württemberg anyway, don't know if it's different in Berlin.

Have you spent time in Germany before?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Geokinesis posted:

This sounds very British but;
How does stuff work without queues?

I flew Stuttgart-Berlin earlier this week, and the queue for boarding had several branches, and everyone wanted to be the first one on, there was no politeness about it. It's the same getting on/off the tram or train, noone lets the people in the train out before trying to get on, and the people at the back shove their way through unapologetically. It's only a minor thing, but it still annoys me each time.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I think you need to get an SMS to use the wifi at McDonalds so you'd need a German SIM or roaming on your phone. Starbucks has free wifi for 30 minutes per day though if there is one of those. In general train stations don't have wifi though, just some shops offer it.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Freiburg is really nice, I used to live there. You could also go to Colmar in France or get the train down to Basel. There's the Vitra design museum in Wei am Rhein which is cool if you like expensive furniture and stuff. And you could visit some lakes and go for nice walks, or visit Germany's (second) highest waterfall in Triberg.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

I'm going to be in Frankfurt on Wednesday for only 1 day, 13 hour layover, and I figured I would explore the city some. Any particular recommendations of what to check out? I'm going to wander around a bit and check out some of the older buildings and whatnot, but other than that, no real plans. As a total beer snob, any local brews or bars I should check out? Must try food? I've never been to Germany, if that makes any difference.

There's not many old buildings in Frankfurt really, it's the only German city with skyscrapers. There's some old buildings at Römerplatz in the city centre, and you can go to the observation deck at the top of Maintower and get a good view. If you cross the Main there's a lot of museums around Sachsenhausen and you can try the local drink Ebbelwoi/Apfelwein there, it's a kind of cider. There's also the Fressgasse (Grosse Bockenheimer Str) off of the Zeil, the main shopping street, where you can eat but I don't know where to recommend there.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

There's a truck opposite curry 36 called mustafas gemüse kebap which is way more worth the money if you are going to head down that way.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

Well, at least at my university, you are not allowed to be absent for more than 10% of class without a doctor's note or extra credit - reason being that time in class counts towards the workload for the whole credit point bullshit. That said, even at my university, this is controversial and not enforced by all professors. Since I can't give you a useful answer with any certainty, I guess your best bet would be contacting the program manager with your problem.

This was the biggest shock for me starting at a German uni. It felt like being back in school again. Here in Australia it's up to you as to whether or not you want to bother going to class the lecturer still gets paid so they don't care and if you fail it's your own fault and you bear the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

You get like 200mb of data with CallYa I think, and only if you top up over a certain amount.