Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh this poor thread..

Click here for the full 720x576 image.

Here's a little look at a loop I'm working on in gif form. I know I give Flash shitm but I love getting a few good days out of it.

Edit: Hours later and I'm done for the day. Yaaay

Click here for the full 720x576 image.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Just adding the appreciation to the wonderful program that is TVP Animation. I've always preferred bitmaps, as there's a level of detail and organic-ness that vectors can't even begin to touch.

How RETAS though? I'd be curious to a comparison between the two programs, is it even sold in the West?

es to es
Jan 16, 2010

by Peatpot
Having used RETAS, I find it weird. It's a very powerful vector tool with some encouraging bitmap options, but the interface is clunky (breaking it up into 6? different programs doesn't help). The new version, currently unavailable in English, has resolved much of this issue, but it just doesn't fit my liking.

I would say that it does not in the least compare to TVPaint as it just isn't a bitmap application. Comparing it with Toon Boom, I'd say they have the same abilities that break down as such:

Vector Drawing Tools: >RETAS
Camera: >Toon Boom
Touch-Up: >RETAS
Effects: >Toon Boom
Usability: >Toon Boom
Colour: >RETAS
Scanning: >RETAS
Scanning Cleanup: Tie
Customisation: >Toon Boom
Plug-ins: >RETAS
Price: Toon Boom takes the cake at US$1000 for the entire program vs. US$995/module.

Banque
Mar 15, 2010
I'm currently a Traditional Animation major, and I find some of the most inspirational and truly great looking stuff comes from the somewhat washed-up and definite rear end in a top hat John Kricfalusi, creator of Ren & Stimpy. Despite his personal flaws (perhaps because of them) he is an incredible animator and draftsman and has a lot of good ideas to fill in the gaps between his nonsense.

His website is a good place to start as he offers many tutorials and will actually critique your drawings for free. I mention him because his technique once mastered is easily applicable to flash/digital animation--like most traditional animation.

Another good place to look for inspiration would be Augenblick Studios who did all of the animation for Wonder Showzen as well as Superjail. Great example of traditional animation principles applied to a digital medium.

Here's a quick basic walkcycle I did a while back.

rotateTranslate
Jul 19, 2006
ra ra im a dinosaur

Banque posted:

Here's a quick basic walkcycle I did a while back.

Is that running on 2s? Would be nice to see it move a little smoother, but more importantly I think it could really do with some secondary animation on the helmet. Like just a little bounce/jiggle or something.

Otherwise it works :)

EDIT: Here is a walk cycle I did last year for Uni.

http://captainfeathers.deviantart.com/art/Alice-walk-cycle-157493243

It's not perfect by any means. The hands strobe a little at the front of the character and the torso needs some squash and stretch, but all in all I'm happy with this as a first attempt.

Just to warn you though, there is music that plays automatically...

rotateTranslate fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 17, 2010

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, but I'm curious about stop-motion animation/claymation. I recently bought a fairly nice camera, and I want to buy some clay and some other materials and do some stop motion animation. I've made clay figures before and they turned out pretty neat, but other than that I have no former experience sculpting, but I'm familiar with animating stuff in photoshop.

Has anyone here had any experience working on something like that?

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill

superloosegoose posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, but I'm curious about stop-motion animation/claymation. I recently bought a fairly nice camera, and I want to buy some clay and some other materials and do some stop motion animation. I've made clay figures before and they turned out pretty neat, but other than that I have no former experience sculpting, but I'm familiar with animating stuff in photoshop.

Has anyone here had any experience working on something like that?

Clay figures need to be oil based so they won't dry out when you're working with them, that's most of what I know. That and it's fun to practice with Toy Soldiers.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
So I've been slowly building up to working on my own cartoon, that I hope to dole out every week or so in the style of a webcomic. Now that a Cintiq's arrived for me, the pieces are finally in place, and as a means of motivation, I've turned my livejournal into a development blog of sorts. The work starts tomorrow, so feel free to follow along!

There's also a bunch of comics and stuff in there, and cusses!

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

A quick walk cycle test from my cartoon. A friend of mine said it looked like he was strutting, which I sorta see.

philliam
Apr 4, 2007

a short rear end animation thing i did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D_TYDa-BiA

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

philliam posted:

If Brad Neely's stuff moved, this is what it would look like.

EDIT: I'm going to clarify and say that I liked it!

Nate Breakman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 24, 2010

philliam
Apr 4, 2007

thank...you??

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Vaporware posted:

Ok here's something that I don't understand about the new motion tweens. Maybe someone has heard of this.

New Motion Tweens inside symbols don't work between flash files, the motion path is offset/broken!

Ok hurr I need to use this animation again, copy & paste into my new flash file...

Oh no! The gray line has moved, and now the cellphone isn't even in the right place!

This is why we don't use the new motion tweens, even though they would be way easier. If I can't re-use a symbol in a different document, what's the point?

Oh hey I figured out a way to fix this problem, sort of.

Use the tranform tool (q), Double Click the transformation point (white dot) to reset it's position. The Motion path and the object will snap back to the proper place.

weird.

I'm sure debuting CS5 is more important than fixing bugs like this that have been in CS4 since it came out.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

philliam posted:

This is really creepy and I love it. My favourite part was that one sudden skip in the animation, really jarring.

spicybackpain
Mar 4, 2010
I'm working on a new series for my website and would like some feedback on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWnxYslYoL8

I won't go into too much detail just yet - I want to see what your initial reaction to this first episode is, and if everyone comes across as it should.

Thanks for your time!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

spicybackpain posted:

I'm working on a new series for my website and would like some feedback on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWnxYslYoL8

I won't go into too much detail just yet - I want to see what your initial reaction to this first episode is, and if everyone comes across as it should.

Thanks for your time!

I really like the episode because it's an inaction story about a guy trying to get action and the whole premise seems to be promising.

Your opening moves really slow and seems to take longer than the episode itself. I'd dramatically speed up the parts where they are flying and generally make a way to tell the backstory a little quicker.

Also add some echo or experiment with different room reverb for the announcer's voice to give it a booming quality. It sounds kind of flat.

snowcake
Apr 3, 2003

when in rome, we shall do as the romans, when in hell, we do shots at the bar.
Originally made most of these animations as gifs in easytoon. the colors looked a lot better when they were only 100 pixels wide or so. but I had fun making them and is what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM8FWSjLTio

spicybackpain
Mar 4, 2010

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I really like the episode because it's an inaction story about a guy trying to get action and the whole premise seems to be promising.

Your opening moves really slow and seems to take longer than the episode itself. I'd dramatically speed up the parts where they are flying and generally make a way to tell the backstory a little quicker.

Also add some echo or experiment with different room reverb for the announcer's voice to give it a booming quality. It sounds kind of flat.

Thanks for the feedback! The beginning does run a bit slow - I'm thinking of speeding up the blueprint sequence and cutting out the flying segment altogether, and making things run a bit tighter.

The announcer does sound a bit flat - I'll use my limited knowledge of sound to see if I can punch it up a bit.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

spicybackpain posted:

Thanks for the feedback! The beginning does run a bit slow - I'm thinking of speeding up the blueprint sequence and cutting out the flying segment altogether, and making things run a bit tighter.

The announcer does sound a bit flat - I'll use my limited knowledge of sound to see if I can punch it up a bit.

I think that you should build it up to have a more heroic, action-oriented feel to contrast the episode's inaction itself.

The Powerpuff girls' opening had a decent rhythm that started slow and sped up after the origin story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8HdpBXLVYk

and Bakshi's Mighty Mouse used a lot of fast cuts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYpBoYa4pno

I don't know what sound program you are using, but Audacity is decent for editing stuff for the web. Here is a list of the effect menu for you to play around in:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual-1.2/menu_effects.html

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I'm having a really weird issue with flash where a sound file is playing an entire scene before it's supposed to. The file's not in the scene where it's playing at all, and it's not playing again when it's supposed to, so I know it's not just doubled or anything. I really can't figure out why this is happening at all. I've tried messing with the sound sync, and it happens whether its set to stream or event.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind! Apparently it worked if I just set all my sounds to start. Forget I was ever here.

Nate Breakman fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 20, 2010

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is the sound inside a movie clip? I don't even know if that's possible, but that's the only thing I can think of.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Nate Breakman posted:

I'm having a really weird issue with flash where a sound file is playing an entire scene before it's supposed to. The file's not in the scene where it's playing at all, and it's not playing again when it's supposed to, so I know it's not just doubled or anything. I really can't figure out why this is happening at all. I've tried messing with the sound sync, and it happens whether its set to stream or event.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind! Apparently it worked if I just set all my sounds to start. Forget I was ever here.

We had issues with this in published movies all the time, and the solution we found is to go into your publish settings, and up the sound quality from 16 bits to 32 bits. Somehow, this causes sounds to start playing at the right time. This will also work with streaming sounds, so you can hear your sounds playback while editing and scrubbing the timeline.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Thought you guys might enjoy this story reel I'm working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9_CauWqe3g

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Also something else I did in 4 hours:

No sound sadly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iIDhgaa3Z0

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I meant to post this here and it ended up in the daily drawings thread so I'm just gonna quote it.

quote:

EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS I've been working on it for like a month and eventually it'll be the start of a long-running series. If you like it please spread it around and if you don't please tell me why.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Nate Breakman posted:

I meant to post this here and it ended up in the daily drawings thread so I'm just gonna quote it.

That's pretty awesome that you got a whole episode done. I liked the character style, and it's pretty obvious that you spent a lot of time planning this out and doing things properly. This is a pretty polished piece. There were a few problems that kept me from really liking it, though.

The main problem I have is the serious lack of action. The whole episode was like 25% title cards, 70% walking, and 5% awesome cut-away x-ray stuff. I want more awesome cut-aways, I can watch people walk any time I want.

The other obstacle to my enjoyment was the narration. Your voice sounds like you're reading the world's most boring storybook to some kids. Given the tone and character designs you've got so far you could really ham up the voice acting and it would totally work even if you were really bad. Also, you tell a lot of things that you should be showing. You tell me that Aaron doesn't fit in, but I should be able to look at the main character and tell that. He doesn't look that different from anyone else in the cartoon.

There were also a couple other things that, while not technically part of the cartoon, make this look a little amateurish. It's obvious that you put a lot of time and effort into this, but those times new roman title cards and triangle buttons really don't bookend your piece very well. They look like afterthoughts, which they shouldn't be if they are telling all of the backstory that I need to know about this dude. Just picking a more futuristic and less generic font would help out. A story about time travelling super-intelligent machines should have a more awesome title screen than the one you gave me. Also, the standard Flash document size of 550x400 is pretty small - you might want to think about picking a standard widescreen resolution, the aspect ratio gives you a lot more freedom when planning dramatic shots and it gives your finished product more presence on the page.

Don't take this to mean I didn't enjoy it, I definitely think you did a great job with this, it just seems kind of unfocused right now. I can't tell if it's supposed to be a funny series or light-hearted action series or what, and I think that giving your narration voice a tone appropriate to what you want this cartoon to be would be the best thing to start with.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
A couple animations of mine (both are really old)

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1272461464

This was made for a buddy's birthday, just a short loop. It will probably just stay white for a minute, it needs to load.

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1272461758 This was made for my dads birthday about 3 years ago. It makes no sense, and the only thing I really like about it is the part where he gets out of the chair. I was so proud (still am) about that short sitting up animation.

I need to make some new stuff, I just haven't been inspired...

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

Communist Toast posted:

I need to make some new stuff, I just haven't been inspired...

You do, because you have a really cool look! You've got really cool character designs, and I love the way you're stuff moves, it's very ease-heavy in a way I really like. I'd love to see more tiny little bits from you.

Cola Brown
Jul 5, 2006
christian kleptomaniacs will steal anything that isn't nailed down
Here's a little timewaster for the animation thread.

No Recipe

It's a couple of years old now so it's quite unpolished, just a small paired assignment from uni. It's the first animation I ever finished off, and the only one that's actually online right now. All feedback appreciated!

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

Oh no! Can't let this thread die! Also, I'm seeing a lot of flash. Anyone else in here working on more traditional stop motion animation?

I just finished a new puppet animation this semester!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9t3qegEq8

The middle refrigerator parts were totally rushed (and can be redone/ color corrected), but the more polished parts with the puppet were really fun. And time intensive. The first half of it was about 12 hours straight spent in the studio, and the second half was about 14 hours. I tried combining puppet animation with drawn animation, so I made a set with a vertical pegbar where I hung all of the background paper animation. The puppet is about a foot tall, I think, and the set was two feet tall. Sorry there's no sound...just pretend you hear footsteps approaching at the midway point.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill

9nine posted:

Some awesomeation.

Geeze, this is really awesome. Is this that puppet from before but with ears, or did it already have ears and I never noticed them?

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

A Frosty Beverage posted:

Geeze, this is really awesome. Is this that puppet from before but with ears, or did it already have ears and I never noticed them?

Thank you! No, it's an entirely different puppet. My former puppet unfortunately broke right after a shoot and was unfixable (the wire in his neck snapped from overuse). I saved his head, though! Haha- the new guy has a reinforced neck and I didn't pose him around too much. I made a second armature as well, just in case he broke (paranoia?). I also gave him replacement eyes for the blinks and poseable ears for more follow-through in his movements.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Hahah, it'd be really cool to see that head in future films. Maybe floating in a jar or something. As for the second armature, I don't think you're being paranoid enough. A lot of stop motion puppets have several stand-ins. They break, it's a fact of puppet animation.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My film almost got third in the student film fest. That Stanley Kubrick box set would have been cool.

The top winners were good though.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

9nine posted:

I just finished a new puppet animation this semester!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9t3qegEq8

The animation is great, but the pacing of the edit is way too slow. I'd have a few faster cuts before the title and then get to the stop motion well before :50 in. Most of the hand drawn shots could be shorter, the piece overall would feel much better at half its length.

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

butterypancakes posted:

The animation is great, but the pacing of the edit is way too slow. I'd have a few faster cuts before the title and then get to the stop motion well before :50 in. Most of the hand drawn shots could be shorter, the piece overall would feel much better at half its length.

Yeah, I agree with you- pacing and timing have always been my weaker points. I think I might eventually re-shoot the refrigerator/ real-life shots and will keep that in mind when editing it again. Thank you!

teznine
Apr 26, 2010
Hey there is an animation thread! Awesome.

Here's a short thing made mostly for my own amusement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0aNZdt9WMY

philliam posted:

This is really unsettling and I love it.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

teznine posted:

Hey there is an animation thread! Awesome.

That's got some really good timing and motion to it. Do you have any more polished stuff?

Citadel
Jun 9, 2010

teznine posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0aNZdt9WMY

This is cool, the weight shift of the character being picked up works nicely. The tongue being dropped at 0:18 feels very natural, i like little touches like this.

I posted in the 3d Forum but i'd love to get some feedback on my character animation as i'm trying to perfect it:
http://vimeo.com/album/186962

I've attempted a few animation styles in work, its commercials but i try to make the best of ever piece of work:
http://vimeo.com/album/186948

Lastly, I worked on a short called 'Avatar days' a few years ago. Its recently been released:
http://vimeo.com/9157869

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cola Brown
Jul 5, 2006
christian kleptomaniacs will steal anything that isn't nailed down
I just finished off a piece of "viral marketing" for a client. Animated in After Effects. Excuse the dodgy puppetry, the timeframe and budget were zilch.

Shane the Butcher - My Boner's Broken!