Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I found these too http://ajarproductions.com/blog/flash-extensions/

I have some tips and tricks I have picked up over the years but I'd have to think about them because at this point I don't think of them as tricks, just as part of my workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

That's really awesome, makes me want to start my own project.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

On one of my projects we scanned each picture, imported it into photoshop to clean it up and up the contrast, then into toon boom where we vectorized and colored each one. Finally we rendered the image sequence from there.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

For rough tests we used Digicel Flipbook with a camera setup. This was about 5 years ago though, and I haven't used it ever since so it might not be so good for that anymore.

Alternatively, If all you want is to get the raw drawings into the computer and output a movie, you can probably do that with a scanner with a peg or a camera on a stand. Get all your pictures and then import the image sequence into any editing software such as premiere and render the movie.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I can't see it either on chrome or explorer. All I can see is some zombie thing looping and a black background.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Uncle Jenkins posted:

I've been building and tweaking my demo reel for some time now and I could use some feedback. Would you wanna hire this guy (me)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3A2jQ6_AQ

Make it shorter, put some of the pirate stuff first since there are better clips there. For long term, make it more diverse.

Looks good though, I'm sure you will find a job.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think the issue is that they are not scaling proportionally. The time span is constant but their size difference is not so they scale at different rates. If you want it to loop smoothly, in theory, it shouldn't need any easing at all. That is if it is supposed to be going at constant speed, without acceleration
Also, make sure you remove the last frame, as it would be repeating twice when it loops.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 11, 2012

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I was thinking about it and I was wrong. Going at average speed creates an optical illusion so you do need some easing to offset it. With some playing around I was able to get it to smooth out and look pretty decent.

My advice is this:
-Remove the middle one.
-Make the small one start at .1% and grow to 100%. This way you can't see it in the starting picture and it ends up in the exact same location as the big one.
-Last, just mess around with the easing until it looks right. I got it to work by making it -75 easing and then playing with the curves, using classic tweens.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Octorok posted:

Sweet, thanks!
A couple questions though: how do I input actual values for transforming/scaling? I've only been doing it with the transform tool and mouse. And how do I access the curves?

ctrl+T and the window should appear.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm going to shoot it straight, don't take any of this personally.
-Make the intro faster. Try to simplify all those words (more on this later), and most importantly, add your contact information.
-It is too long. For someone who is just coming out of school you shouldn't have more than a minute, most people won't even stick for that long so you need to make it short and make it count.
-It feels very scattered and lacks cohesion. Too much variety, as you mention. IMO you should pick just one of those things you want to do and get really good at it. Animation, vfx, rigging or modeling.
-The overall quality is pretty bad. The animation, the models, the drawings. I don't mean to discourage you or to be mean, but rather, to bring you to reality. If you really want this then you are going to have to work very hard on it. It can be done but it is not going to be easy. Work on whatever you chose several hours a day. Post your stuff online and get critique. Look at what other people are making. Doing these things should get you there.

If you want more specific critiques on animation I can help you with that since it's what I do.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Well, you are (in theory) always updating your reel, so you can keep whatever you want right now and phase it out as you make new and better stuff. At this point I think you are better off focusing on new stuff. I wouldn't bother with turntables unless you want to be a modeler. Or unless you have a really awesome model that you want to show anyway, but that should be an extra, not the main focus if you want a vfx reel.

Is all the animation Mo-Cap? I have never worked with that so I can't help you there, but just from an animation standpoint everything looks rigid and computer-generated.
On the sneak, the sneak itself is really fast so its hard to see. It's ok, but it could have more overlapping action in the torso and the arms. When he does the sidestep he doesn't have any weight to him. Then the moving hold feels like you didn't touch the graph/curve editor and the computer is doing all the work.
The throw is a bit better. It has more force and overlapping action. The poses could still be exaggerated a lot more, especially the anticipation and the throw. When he is winding back there is no easing. Speaking of that pose, it feels out of balance, in part because he floats to it and in part because it is not pushed far enough. He should get to that pose really quick and then hold it. And it should be more dynamic. Like he is reaaally going to throw the ball very hard.

On the egg mech, first of all, the sound fxs are very distracting in a bad way. It also doesn't even feel like it is synched, so I would get rid of the sound altogether. The whole thing feels very robotic. And you may say "well, he is a robot!". And you are right. But the rules of animation still apply. All the motions are even and jerky. Robots in real life move in very swift, calculated, precise movements. Point A to point B. Point B to point C. You can take this route, or you can make it more human like, in which case you don't want it to look robotic (aka computer-generated)
The feet are sliding a bit. They should be stuck to the ground unless you have a good reason to slide them (i.e. they are actually meant to slide because the particular action calls for it)
I like the way he falls, but when he lands there is no weight to him. You could make him bounce a bit. Or shake the camera. Again, there is no easing either.

The spider mech walk isn't bad but you could stand to loop it a bit longer and give it a bit more up and down movement.

I'm not gonna go over the whole thing in extreme detail but you get the idea. There are some nice poses on the 2D part but the art is unappealing and there really isn't much animation. The bouncy ball is nice but it isn't reel material, it is like a first year student assignment. In general, your 2D stuff feels stronger animation-wise but the drawings aren't helping you.

Hope this helps you, and again, I don't mean to make you feel terrible but to send you in the right direction.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 7, 2013

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Get The Animator's Survival Kit. It is the best resource on walks/runs and animation in general.

You should do the "bouncing ball" exercise, it is one of the classics that will teach you about timing and squash/stretch.
http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/01b/bball.shtml

Animating a flour sack walk cycle is good too. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHAsoVDLR9c
Here you can learn a bit about personality and motion and because you are using a simple shape you don't need to worry about lots of details, just about the kinetics.

Later you can make little acting pieces with a flour sack as well. Like him lifting a rock, jumping and whatnot.

Once you get the hang of the principles of animation you can do the same with a humanoid character. And so on.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Hm... you might have a point there. I got it like 8 years ago so my memory is hazy. I actually can't remember if it was useful before I knew the basics or not, I just know that it has been very useful overall.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'd say it is more than realistic. If you really push yourself you can easily learn the software (you don't need to learn all of them) in 6 months. Once you learn all the basics you can definitely make something in another 6 months or so. Your first attempt is probably going to be slow and not great but that's where you will learn the most. You should also start with something very simple. 5 minutes is A LOT. I wouldn't go any further than 20 seconds for your very first project. And not longer than a minute for your second.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Troll: The walk has a bit of a snap when he hits the ground but seems solid otherwise. The jump is very floaty. In part because the timing is off, in part because there is no easing. Both on the anticipation and the going up. Try to be more aggressive with your timing and poses, when he is going up it doesn't really feel like he is pushing himself up.
The climb needs some work. Take a look at some reference:
http://youtu.be/N70DLM8Az_8?t=2m52s
You can see how the whole body is involved in this and how she really needs to push herself up. The movement is also very uneven.
There is something nice going on in the little set of jumps, especially the last one. You can still push the timing and easing more. It is a little weird that he is only jumping with one foot.
I'm not going over every shot, but the advice is the same. Work on the easing, work on the timing, work on the poses. Try to make the actions more fluid. Avoid that floaty feeling, get into the curve editor and fix that stuff. Watch out the finger animation, hands are very expressive and you are missing out. Finally, be careful with the camera moves, a lot of them are awkward and unnecessary.
Overall it is a good first project but perhaps too ambitious. When there is so much to animate you can't really get to polish it quite as much.

11SC: Try to work on your follow throughs. A lot of the body parts are moving and then coming to a sudden stop, especially the hands, the head and the pelvis. They then just float there. Again, watch out your finger animation. The lip synch seems pretty good but there are a few places where you could tighten it up more.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 31, 2013

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

You can add temporary matching symbols/numbers/letters on your key poses so that it helps you track what is going where between frames.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It looks like it could be the Flash dotted line stroke.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Getting back into FX animation after a while.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Ernie Muppari posted:

Is this more of a traditional animation thread, or are short sequences animated in flash in the style of low-res video games acceptable too?

Both are fine, I think.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

That's awesome dude. Good job.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I like flash v:v:v

It does have some annoying quirks but I have learned to work with them (or use extensions to fix them)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

I've been using Flash for a couple of years, but have never bothered to use extensions. Do you know of any off the top of your head that are must-haves or are generally great/useful?

I don't know if any of these are still required/usable with CC but:

*Multi swap: Swaps all selected symbols for the one selected on the library, can be used while editing multiple frames on a single layer.
*Layer color: swaps layer colors simultaneously. It is useful to organize/color code your file.
*sync symbols to timeline: Useful when your graphic instances get mismatched, instead of having to go one by one manually.
*toggle guide: Turns all selected layers into guides, helpful for quickly hiding stuff.

All of those can be attached to hotkeys, which makes the workflow a lot faster.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 10, 2015

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think this is generally true for blockbusters or really small productions (one man projects), but in some cases it could be cheaper to produce in 3D if you can reuse assets and need lots of content.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

South Park is kinda cool in that respect because they animate it with maya nowadays. And I imagine most of the characters are made out of premade shapes. Or are simple enough they can just make them quickly.

And some other shows like Futurama or Archer are mostly in 2D but use 3D at times.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

HelloWinter posted:

Any general tips for animation interviews? I have one coming up this Wednesday. My prof suggested that I act very extroverted and likeable but I'm a pretty reserved person...

I don't know... that sounds like a recipe for disaster. I think you should just aim to feel comfortable and be pleasant around them. And know your poo poo in case they ask you.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

HelloWinter posted:

Thanks so much for the tips, guys!! I also found it bizarre that my prof suggested that I try on a different personality. I'll definitely try to be as comfortable and knowledgeable as I can during the interview. I have a hard time demonstrating my enthusiasm in proper words, but I'll try my best with that too!!

I'll be interviewing with one person (possibly two); the main guy is the supervising animator that I've met a couple months ago while he was touring our campus and looking at student portfolios. The other person might possibly be the manager of studio operations. I can't exactly predict what questions they'll ask of me (safe to say though that they'll ask about my work process, influences, etc...) but when they are the ones asking me if I have any questions for them, I get stuck. Would it be safe to ask how the studio workflow works? Or something about their on working projects? Anything that demonstrates I got the enthusiasm for the job?

You can make a list of things that you genuinely want to know and ask them if they don't get answered during the interview. How is it like working here? what are your policies regarding X or Y? Do you crunch? what's your favorite part about working here? what don't you like about working here? You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The principle that always struck me as odd is ''solid drawing''. It seems rather obvious, like saying that to be a good writer you need to have solid writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Nah it's not that kind of solidity. It means having a sense of volume/heft, instead of drawing things merely as flat shapes. You can't move stuff in abstract space unless you construct them.
Well, that's sort of my point. To me those things are learned inherently with practice and not a "principle" per se.

Maybe it is because I work in games but I found the ASK to be very helpful, especially since I used to make tons of walk cycles. That, and Edweard Muybridge's books for reference. I can see how the ASK would be deficient in more composition oriented processes though.