Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book/blog/info source on stop motion animation? I feel I have a lot to learn about camera movement and other such things, as my professional training is in writing, and not at all in animation.

I can't really say it's "good", as it's just the things we learned as total amateurs with no prior animation experience, but https://legomatrix.com has a load of stuff on how we made our Trinity Help video, if you can be cared to read through it all.
I imagine it's all pretty obvious stuff, but might be of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Hellwuzzat posted:

Hey, stop-motion homies, I have a question. What sort of cameras do folks use? I only ever used a firewire or machine control camera, whatever you want to call it. Using a DSLR with Frame Thief looks to be a bad idea. Are there similar programs that do support most DSLRs? Is it even healthy to have a DSLR operating for several hours at a time?

My first project used a few point and shoot cameras, but I've used Canon 5Ds running non-stop for 8 hours or so with live preview into Dragon Stop Motion and not had an issue.
Caveat - I have no professional experience, and will never do this for a living.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Hellwuzzat posted:

What is the deal with live preview, anyway? The camera has to be in some kind of live preview mode in order for you to see what you're doing before you take the picture? And it doesn't show the actual image, but a close-yet-low-res approximation of the image? That's what I'm gathering.

Yeah, you're getting a live feed from your camera into your capture software, so you can see exactly what the camera sees without taking a photo. The cameras aren't designed to do it, really, so they get very hot.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Rogetz posted:

Just finished my first Stop Motion. I've worked on it off and on for over a year, putting it down for a while and picking it back up. It's pretty rough but I'm happy with how it came out. Feedback appreciated, thanks!

As someone who has also spent hours bent over a set animating, I would suggest you either get a remote shutter release, or else use the self-timer on your camera. That way you'll get rid of that shake in the video, or at least reduce it.
My friend wrote some custom software to de-shake our footage at one point, but you can't compare against not shaking it to begin with.

You could also look into locking the white balance and aperture so you don't get the shifts in colour and lighting balance, but then we get into the realms of never filming with natural light (the sun moves around and clouds obscure it etc) and so on.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

cannot pake posted:

I’m working on a stop motion and it’s coming out cool but I spent three hours and then got 3 seconds of video lol.

If you include all the planning stages, set and support building, editing etc, my friend and I spent 10 hours a second on our Legomatrix video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Over 10 years ago a friend and I created a Lego stop motion animation of the bullet time scene from The Matrix, all with in-camera effects only. Took us forever to make, but it went a bit viral at the time with some celebrity shout-outs, a few showings in print media, and a clip in the A Lego Brickumentary film. It was weird - we got contacted by a few companies to look at animating stuff for them, interviewed by a few no-name podcast people, and even spoke with Pharrell Williams about making a music video for him. We have day jobs though so none of that seriously interested us. Professional animators we are NOT.

Anyway, we just got a comment on it from one of the guys who worked on the original bullet time system that they created for the film, and that's really cool. It's funny what little things can make you feel good about a piece of work.