Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Really Big Shoe posted:

This is all amazing, guys! Awesome thread so far.

I'm assuming just by the attitude in this thread, you are all happy with going to school for animation? I've been considering it for the last year or so, and finally just went back to school and am taking some preliminary classes in the time being, but next semester I'm going to start on some animation courses. What exactly can one look forward to, realistically, as an animator? Is the field oversaturated, or just not as many opportunities? I definitely would like to go for 2D. Now that many of you have gotten this far, is that a silly option with the influx of 3D coming out? Thanks friends!

Hahaha oh boy...

good luck finding jobs as a 2d animator. I will tell you what you have to look forward to, lovely flash tv animations with low pay and wrist breaking weekly animation quotas. A lot of unpaid overtime.

I am a feature film animator currently but I have worked in games and tv as well. the market right now is over saturated. For every animation position there are like 1000 animators. I feel lucky i got into the industry when I did because it is very very hard to do it right now.

If any of you are thinking about going animation make sure you have a secondary skill that will help you along the way. I recommend rigging if you are going 3d and marrying a very rich widow if you are going 2d :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU