Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill

superloosegoose posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, but I'm curious about stop-motion animation/claymation. I recently bought a fairly nice camera, and I want to buy some clay and some other materials and do some stop motion animation. I've made clay figures before and they turned out pretty neat, but other than that I have no former experience sculpting, but I'm familiar with animating stuff in photoshop.

Has anyone here had any experience working on something like that?

Clay figures need to be oil based so they won't dry out when you're working with them, that's most of what I know. That and it's fun to practice with Toy Soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill

9nine posted:

Some awesomeation.

Geeze, this is really awesome. Is this that puppet from before but with ears, or did it already have ears and I never noticed them?

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Hahah, it'd be really cool to see that head in future films. Maybe floating in a jar or something. As for the second armature, I don't think you're being paranoid enough. A lot of stop motion puppets have several stand-ins. They break, it's a fact of puppet animation.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Automatic Jack, would you possibly have a high rez picture of that scene with the camera panning across all the Threed baddies I could use for a background because that picture is just too awesome.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Man, I absolutely ADORE the Thief and the Cobbler. I would be happy if I could make something half as technically proficient as that.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Hot drat, thanks a ton, man! Gon' maybe blow this up a touch, but I got me a new background.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
This thread is reminding me how much I need to bust out my acme paper and doodle animations again.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
I want to buy an animation stand. I used to have a stand for an old camera, but I didn't think I'd need it. I tossed it out and only last year did I realize how absolutely useful it was.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Movie clips really are for script based web presentations. If you're working on an animation project, don't use 'em. I've yet to find an animation thing that movie clips work for that graphics won't.

Big thing to remember, graphics respect the global timeline, movie clips want to work in realtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Sometimes it's just really fun to do bouncing ball animations.