Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

HelloWinter posted:

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve one's sense of consistent proportion?
I think your character looks pretty consistent FWIW. The pillow is really distracting, though. When I cover up the hands and pillow, the shot reads fine.

Are you doing cleanup in order of frame hierarchy? (Keys-Extremes-Breakdowns-Inbetweens) It helps a ton. Also, the shift and trace trick is a serious protip. It can also help to have a model sheet or turnaround in your working file as a hidden layer. Look at it for reference when you tie down/clean up your keys and extremes to check against the model.

The other big thing for me is to analyze the proportions and express them in some kind of verbal standard, i.e., measure your good drawings and write yourself notes like "nose is 1/3 from bottom of chin" or "head is 5 eyes wide." A lot of model sheets on studio projects have these kind of notes and it's for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I think those cleaned up drawings look pretty good. You could use a cushion into 33 and/or an overshoot and settle.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You really really need to improve your drawing fundamentals before you try to do anything else.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Unfortunately there's so much that you need to work on that it's hard for me not to be harsh here. But here goes:

- Your lines are all "hairy," as if each one is made up of a bunch of tiny little strokes. This is a common feature of beginner's work. You have to learn to make decisive lines in one stroke. It's OK to make a few light practice lines before you commit to a darker line, but the overall point is that your lines should be smooth and continuous and not "petted" with a bunch of tiny little strokes.
- As a result, there's practically no consistency or believable depiction of form or tone. In the example drawing you posted, the door frame behind the character doesn't look like a door frame. It's lumpy and uneven as if it were made of mud daubs.
- Your perspective is completely wrong.
- The overall impression of the drawing is messy and crude. Other than the presence of some vaguely-recognizable shapes, it doesn't come across as a drawing of a human figure.
- To be extremely frank, it looks like a child's drawing.

If you are serious about learning how to draw, please put away any graphics tablets and go back to really basic fundamentals. Really ANY "how to draw" book would help you. Practice drawing basic forms with a confident hand. This can be difficult to do on a Wacom tablet if you don't already have pretty well-developed skills with traditional media. Good line is especially hard to do on a tablet even if you're great with a pencil. Practice drawing clean circles and straight lines, then progress gradually to three-dimensional forms like spheres and cubes. There's a fairly good free online course here: http://drawabox.com/.

Look very critically at your own work, then look at the level of work you'd like to be able to achieve. You have to do this continually and without flinching. I hope this helps.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
This looks terrific! Very Chuck-Jones-ish.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

nikochansan posted:

Clip Studio Paint finally got animation tools so I've been playing around with that
WHAT

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Yep, everything looks OK here... :confused:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'm just playing around with this here, and it seems pretty obvious to me that this is not really that useful to anyone who doesn't already have a pretty well-built studio infrastructure. This is not for beginners. It also doesn't appear to have raster brush capabilities, so no there's no doing your rough animation directly in the program. This makes sense because in Japan they still do all the roughs on paper. I suppose it's not any worse than Flash in that regard, but the interface is WAY too professional for your average person to just jump in and start animating the way you can in Flash.

I'm not switching from TVPaint anytime soon...

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
It seems like everyone got so freaking excited because of the Ghibli connection that a lot of people assumed that this software was something other than a complex ink-and-paint and compositing system built on a traditional X-sheet workflow. It's probably similar to what Disney used in the latter days of its 2D pipeline (though Calarts trains people on TVPaint now and ToonBoom is widely used in the TV industry). I bet people were expecting something in the interface vicinity of Flash/Photoshop/TB/Manga Studio.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Here's a tip about fixing the OpenToonz interface to be a bit more humane: http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91221#p91221

Oop, and some tutorial videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMskd30Y9Js
https://vimeo.com/160517233

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 27, 2016

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Not really. In studio terms, it's just as expensive if not more. The advantages lie in: perfectly consistent characters without having to worry about draftsmanship; easier to make changes and move the camera or reuse assets; easier to do complex stuff like highly detailed character designs or crowd scenes.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

I still find it odd that 3D can cost more than 2D. Maybe that's due to the cost of rendering farms and less of the actual process?

Here's Cheapo the Rabbit:

Time it took me to badly draw rabbit: <5 minutes
Time it would take someone to model the character: multiple hours

OK, time to animate Cheapo!

Time it took me to trace the character and raise his arm: <5 minutes
Time it would take someone to rig the character so that it can raise its arm: multiple hours
(The actual animation itself is roughly the same amount of hours for 2D or 3D.)

Oh, wait, he needs an efficiency apartment:

Time it took to draw the room: 5 minutes
Time it would take to model the lamp, set up the room, light the scene, texture the assets... you get the picture.

And the stupidest thing of all is that drawings get away with murder. They are much more forgiving to the eye. You can get away with a mere suggestion of a facial expression, a room, a chair, a mouth, a hand. Drawings cause people to fill in the blanks. You can't do that with CG or it looks like poo poo. You have to invest way more with CG to get to the same level, and I'd say much of that time and money is wasted.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Anyway, do you guys think big budget 2D could make a comeback?
It's very unlikely that 2D will ever come back in the US, since it's now extremely difficult to get any medium-scale film funded at all. Movie budgets are either huge risk, huge reward (superhero blockbusters), or minimal risk, very high ROI (little indies or festival films made for $1 million or less). The middle has been eliminated, sadly. It's not that they wouldn't make money, or that they wouldn't make a profit. For example, the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie was made for $30 million and made $33 million box office. Disney's Planes cost $50 million and grossed over $230 million. Now, which one of those are you going to pitch to the board of directors/shareholders? I don't think there's a privately-held major movie studio in the world anymore. Thus, even if you make a smaller film that makes a tidy profit, you've wasted the opportunity cost of putting that time/energy/staff into a potential blockbuster. If you make an "artistic" decision, you can get ousted by the board for failing to maximize shareholder value.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Nice atmosphere you've been able to achieve there.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This all makes perfect sense. Though it just goes against what I've been told about the cost of doing 2D and 3D for years. But again, that was in video games. And being that you seem to be a professional, I believe you.
Full disclosure, I would not call myself a "pro," I have only done personal films and freelance stuff.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I really want to practice coloring in backgrounds.

Is there a site that has templates of non-colored in drawings that I can import to Toon Boom or Gimp to color in?

Google Image Search: animation layout drawings

Have a party :toot:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

An Ounce of Gold posted:

E: Oh and since we aren't under the NDA for Frederator anymore is anyone interested in seeing our failed pitch board for Bubbletopia (named and worked on before Zootopia I swear)? I could upload it somewhere on Wednesday somewhere if anyone has any suggestions.
Yes. I've heard about a lot of folks pitching to them, but I'm curious as to what that actually looks like.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I guess I'm kind of... I don't know, maybe I missed a day of class or something, but how do people get in a position to pitch to these networks in the first place? Bear with me because I didn't go to art school and I have never worked in the animation industry, and I live in a city that has scanty (and now almost nonexistent) presence in the animation business.

Like, if I come up with a bunch of ideas for cartoon shorts, can I seriously make unsolicited pitches to networks?! How do they control who gets access to the people who hear pitches? It just seems so... open?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
What experience do you have with animation so far? Can you draw?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Stuff4and5 posted:

Little to zero experience in animation, I've been drawing for about 40 hours a week for the last month and a half, I have proportions and perspective down to a minor extent and I'm guessing these are the real major points to animation? Like as long as you have proper steady proportions and your perspective isn't off you are set right?
It's probably a good idea for you to work on your thumbnail/gesture/pose drawing. Poses that would take you 10-15 minutes to dial in on a 3D rig can take you literally 10 seconds to draw. If you use a 2D program for pose testing you can work out a lot of issues (if not your entire shot) before you even touch the rig.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Futaba Anzu posted:

Not to throw doubt, but show us your stuff. I want to see the extents of someone who says they're diligent with practicing

Yes, please post and show us what you have so far. When you ask for suggestions about what to work on, it's hard to give useful guidance without knowing where you're at.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
yes

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah you need some serious work on your drawing fundamentals. In AM it doesn't matter all that much for the curriculum, but drawing is going to make you a better animator because a lot of good animation principles are based on visual design (like line of action, clear silhouette reading, and visual rhythm).

Go through the Preston Blair animation book and copy the drawings. It'll be better practice than doing drawings of Nintendo characters for now (though there's nothing specifically wrong with drawing Nintendos). Like JuniperCake said, you need to improve your line quality. Starting today, never draw on lined paper again. Draw from your shoulder, not your wrist. The Andrew Loomis books will also be helpful for you to learn how to draw believable solid forms and turn them in space.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

HelloWinter posted:

Ahh, thank you!! I ought to buy that book someday, now might be the time for it.

That would be terribly awesome, bitmap! Specifically, I'm trying to learn more about incorporating motion arcs in my animation. I've looked into Richard William's Survival Kit book about the subject, but it's still unclear to me how to efficiently plan out an arc (notably figure eights) into an animation without the involvement of trial and error. Would drawing the curve path/figure eight help?
Yes yes yes draw the path. Also you will probably want to indicate the spacing on the arc when you draw it by way of making little tick-marks along the path. It's the same principle as timing charts on the top of the drawings, but you can plan out the speed along the path before you start drawing the action. Does that make sense?

HelloWinter posted:

Do you guys know of any good websites that studies the 12 principles more thoroughly rather than just offering a basic overview description of them?
This page is kind of cheesy-looking but it's got really good fundamental lessons:
http://brianlemay.com/Pages/animationschool/animationschool.html

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Re: the 12 principles again --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haa7n3UGyDc
This is a pretty good video series that explains each one.

Also, I'm a strong believer in Mike Nguyen's mystical approach to animation. His writing on animation is somewhat opaque. Part of that is language-based (he's not a native speaker of English). But it's also because he write about the process from an intuitive perspective rather than a strictly technical one.

Richard Williams was a protege of Milt Kahl, and Kahl's attitude toward everything was supposedly pretty analytical. As a result, Williams has mastered 11 of the 12 principles but has never really understood the last one: APPEAL. Appeal is probably the most important one! It's the only one that isn't a "technique." It's all emotional. It's all about empathy. You can animate with technical perfection (as Williams has many times) but if the audience doesn't give a poo poo, you've lost. You can practically stuff the other 11 principles in the trash bin if you have a handle on Appeal.

/rant

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Nah it's not that kind of solidity. It means having a sense of volume/heft, instead of drawing things merely as flat shapes. You can't move stuff in abstract space unless you construct them.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah and most of those walks are just completely stupid and impractical. They're technical exercises. There's almost nothing in that book about dealing with camera angles!! So much material is just a flat proscenium layout, which is useless for the majority of TV and cinematic animation. The only example of a full shot in the whole book (the guy picking up chalk and writing on a chalkboard) is a 4-second fixed camera side view, not the sort of thing you'd see in any film or TV show made in the past 30 years.

A large amount of TV-level animation is going to be built around medium shots and dialogue, as well as organizing the characters into a believable background environment through good layout.

Cinematic-type animation skills these days involve a lot of fast cuts and camera angles. There's also a lot of complex layout challenges in action sequences where the character has to get from point A to point B through the scenery in perspective.

The Animator's Survival Kit has little to no information about any of that.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
WOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Are those AE and C4D?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Futaba Anzu posted:

and we're supposed to be doing a jump cycle next week, but I mocked one up in csp just now here:

The first bounce doesn't seem to have a proper impact and could be snappier, but I couldn't figure out what timing was in my sleep addled state. Anyone else can critique?

The frame right before the first impact -- get rid of it. Have a gap there. It's a dumb but effective trick to make the impact punchier. When the sack hits, you have some kind of "splash" linework. I don't think that works very well, I'm not sure what it's supposed to communicate, but it isn't consistent with the physical characteristics of the sack.
I did a revision with the pre-impact frame removed and a couple differences on impact in red:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
:stare: What did Frog and Toad do to get put in jail for life?!

(by the way that's adorable as heck)

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

AAAAAAAAAAA ANIMATING ON AN IPAD AAAAAAAAAA
:supaburn: :siren:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I dig it. Makes me want to play Animal Crossing. :3:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
RoughAnimator is great.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

nikochansan posted:

I haven't animated in forever so I hopped on Flipnote and pumped this out
My hands started cramping due to the 3DS XL's screen though so I may export this to my computer and finish it up in CSP EX

For some reason your picture didn't embed right but I looked at it on imgur. Pretty impressive to do all that on a DS!! What is the context though? Part of a larger story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Awesome!! Congrats. :)