Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

tuna posted:

In this day and age you'd do fine taking a 2D course and keeping current with the occasional (good) 3D animation in Maya/Softimage with a free rig on your own time. After a few years it isn't impossible to be a fantastic artist in both 2d and 3d. However don't be naive. A lot of the work out there is 3D right now, along with a lot of great animators to learn from.

Last semester a bunch of us went to the Disney animation studios for a special event called "Inspire Days". There was a seminar on 3D animation, the guy was a 3D animator, and he mostly played clips of Peter Pan and maybe a 30-second clip of The Incredibles.

I bet so many 3D animators had no idea what he was trying to tell them. :)

VVVV Exactly.

Megera fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Do animation departments at other schools have a disproportionate amount of hosed up students? In our intro to 2D animation class alone, we had crazy Korean kid who hasn't improved a bit and last I heard he threatened a teacher for giving him a C (to pass and get rid of him) and demanded an A, Asian kid who draws furries (they're like an inch big and he says he animated that size to save time (no, you can't tell what is happening)) and talks to himself, bipolar perky anime chick, talkative fat kid (turned a pitch for a 10 second story into a half hour episode), and bipolar perky anime chick's roommate who is actually cool only if separated from her.

Maybe just public universities have these people? :(

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

BrokenCycle posted:

I have another book recommendation, too.

Eric Goldberg's "Character Animation Crash Course". This book is amazing and has helped me so drat much.

Eric Goldberg came and lectured at our university, and while it's obvious he's way more character animation oriented, he did mention a few things about storytelling poses and the actual designing of characters. I've always been interested in storyboarding and character design and was wondering if anything in this book would help with that. I'd go to a bookstore and look for myself, but I haven't seen a single store carry it. :(

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Times posted:

Eric Goldberg is visiting my school next semester. :)

He's really like a tiny and fat Robin Williams. It's kind of cute. :)

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

BrokenCycle posted:

Anyone buy those "The Art Of... [Kung Fu Panda, Up, Finding Nemo, etc.]" books? I have the Bolt one and it's pretty good, any other recommendations?

I just bought the Kung Fu Panda one (it had been $100, but it's $30 now since it's in print again), and my boyfriend gave me the Finding Nemo one. I recommend both of those along with The Lion King (IT'S HUGE), and Treasure Planet (really good futuristic props and backgrounds) and Brother Bear (lots of nature scenes and storyboards) are my guilty pleasures. Really, though, no concept art books are ever really bad that I've scene. I thought that Narnia was an anomaly to that until I realized I had more of a making of book. :shobon:

Don't know if it counts since it's not animation, but Lord of the Rings and Star Wars have some great concept art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Maybe I'm missing something, but I was able to export a .mov of an animation with movie clips.