Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mobile Sponge
Jan 23, 2010

Scat Cat posted:

My reel which will hopefully net me an internship out west.

http://vimeo.com/8754807

lemme know what you think

It was very good, your anticipation delivery with your 3D animation could use some tweaking to get the full impact of what your trying to get across, but other than that, there all great with a good personality you have expressed through the characters

Unfortunately, I've been getting my AA over in Florida for Art, so I have nothing recent to show of my animation capability, but I do constantly practice to increase my artist skills through this blog, I am trained in traditional animation, and my only real hope of getting into the biz besides illustration is advertising :[
http://mobilesponge.blogspot.com/

The latest animation project I took part of was this collaboration, I am "The Mobile Sponge" animator, I believe you can view just my two scenes, this was a pixel tool collaboration, so I can't even show off my actual applicable skills
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/touchdownturnaround

Feel free to critique any of my works, I'm new to the Something Awful artistic community, but I can already tell you guys are hard working artist willing to improve your body of work, which means the world when your trying to get into the professional line of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mobile Sponge
Jan 23, 2010
I've always used Flash, and up until cs4 I supported it, its not reliable, but I felt it did what I wanted in a timely fashion

But this TVPaint everyone is talking about, this actually does line/inking work good? I've wanted to switch forever to something more trustworthy!

I hand animate and ink (its what I'm most comfortable animating with) but could TVPaint make inking easier for me?

9nine posted:

The wire holds up great, and since the major body parts are soft aluminum, the constant bending and shaping I do to animate it doesn't put too much stress on the wire. In the long run, it will inevitably degrade, but it's perfect at the moment. I bought a spool of the wire online and got the rest of my supplies at a basic hardware store. Here's a picture of where the little guy is at right now, with some of my supplies included. He's about 17" tall.

I'm sorry, it's just so hard to resist posing him. Anyway, those bolts he's holding are what help him stand up while I'm animating the rest of him.

I've never used that apoxie sculpt specifically, but it sounds exactly like plumber's epoxy putty with a longer hardening time. I got mine at Ace hardware, but you can buy it just about anywhere. It comes in a tube and you pinch off a small amount, knead it for a minute, and mold it to the area you want to put it. You get a good 5-7 minutes of sculpting time before it hardens completely. That poo poo reeks, though. For his feet, I sculpted the basic shape and then embedded a nut on the bottom so I can anchor him down when he's standing on a pegboard by screwing the bolt in on the underside.

Anyway, sorry for all the :words:, but here are some earlier pictures of him.

I'm going to be making his head and animating a walk this weekend.

Fantastic work! I love more organic simpler puppetry, Henry Selic is the only man I've seen make complicated stop motion animation to work

The Mobile Sponge
Jan 23, 2010

9nine posted:

Thanks, guys! I just finished another quick little test with him today, and I really had a blast animating it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8QTSxggPRw

Let me know what you think!

How fun! What a nifty little puppet

The only thing that really stands out is the flow of the motion, its fun, but a tad underplayed, it seems it would benefit greatly from more reaction, and more buildup in the antic, but other than that this was awesome!