Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banque
Mar 15, 2010
I'm currently a Traditional Animation major, and I find some of the most inspirational and truly great looking stuff comes from the somewhat washed-up and definite rear end in a top hat John Kricfalusi, creator of Ren & Stimpy. Despite his personal flaws (perhaps because of them) he is an incredible animator and draftsman and has a lot of good ideas to fill in the gaps between his nonsense.

His website is a good place to start as he offers many tutorials and will actually critique your drawings for free. I mention him because his technique once mastered is easily applicable to flash/digital animation--like most traditional animation.

Another good place to look for inspiration would be Augenblick Studios who did all of the animation for Wonder Showzen as well as Superjail. Great example of traditional animation principles applied to a digital medium.

Here's a quick basic walkcycle I did a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banque
Mar 15, 2010
It's been a while since I've checked in, but I wanted to show off and possibly get some critique on my current demo reel. Most of the contents in their full form can be found on my vimeo page, but I'm curious as to the general "pull" of the reel itself. If you have any critique on the individual films as well, let me know!

https://vimeo.com/50726299 - Reel

I'm also currently in the middle of animating a short, "SHANGHAI JOHNNY AND THE GANG UP TO NO GOOD OUT IN CHINESETOWN", a small piece of which can be seen in the reel, some supporting pre-production materials here as well--

http://imgur.com/a/Mjg7M - SJATGUTNGOIC

Banque
Mar 15, 2010

Been working on a some motion tests for semi-animated comics.

Banque
Mar 15, 2010

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Looking for some feedback on this ~5 second scene I did. This is my first real attempt at animation, and I think it's ok but not great. It could use some polishing up in After Effects (color correction and some lens flare etc) but I'd like to know what ya'll think about the camera motion and composition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-3dtPtDMDM

Ease into pan a bit instead of just scrolling at an even pace, and yeah some motion blur up close would help when it passes us. Also give it a little more time on either side, it feels cut off at the beginning and end right now.

Banque
Mar 15, 2010
Crosspost from the daily drawings thread.

Also, I just completed a short. I can't post a link because it's running the festival circuit, but if you think you might wanna see a cartoon about dudes selling bootleg tapes in a cyberpunk chinatown, PM me and I'll send you a private link!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 23, 2013

Banque
Mar 15, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

To anyone who animates with pencil, what do you use for animation paper? Personally, I just use normal copy paper (8.5 x 11) with a three-hole punch. I bought round pegbars from Lightfoot, Ltd. and use it on that.

I wanna try animating for something that's suitable for the 16:9 aspect ratio, though. Animator Milt Gray told me that he uses 11 x 17 paper for that, so I'm gonna try that next time, once my new animation lightbox arrives.

It's great that you're animating on paper, I've been seeing a few posts on here lately about it so I just wanted to share my opinion as a working animator.

If you're animating on paper for aesthetic purposes the paper you use should be appropriate for the aesthetic you're intending to communicate. If the aesthetic is pencil and paper, you're not going to improve on it by purchasing expensive animation bond which is a scam and unnecessary for anyone but a Disney animator.

If you're animating on paper to teach yourself how to animate: awesome. This is exactly what you should be doing because it is a surefire way to really understand the process, it is also completely impractical for the modern world of animation. You are essentially doubling your work overhead (punching, shooting, scanning) for roughs. Learning with a ratio guide is great too, but easy to mess up.

If you're animating on paper because of some traditionalist crap you gotta stop. As much as every animator loves paper it really is a relic of a bygone era now, it is not practical for modern workflows/budgets/productions and the infrastructure for producing traditional animation with paper and cels no longer exists. You'll impress a lot more people if you make a simple but complete animation on handmade or interesting paper than if you animate Goofy Smokes a Joint on animation bond.

That being said, use regular printer paper and a 3 hole pegbar if you want to animate on paper. It will keep your costs down and look fine vs something 4x the price labelled "animation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banque
Mar 15, 2010

korusan posted:

Just finished the 'finale' of my web cartoon so I can move on to bigger and better projects, but before I do can anyone critique the cartoon please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-21EoELxuWc

Also appreciated would be commentary on the writing, voices, etc. if anyone in those fields is browsing and would like to. Thanks, and hope you enjoy it!

A bit too Family Guy don't you think?

Also, for how limited the animation is you could probably spend a lot more time making the cartoon look polished.