Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
My mate has asked if there is any "good" free or cheap-ish software, he just wants to do a couple of small intros for his business. Nothing too major, probably something like moving scale or position keyframes.

I think AE or Flash is out of his price range.

He's got both a mac and a pc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I'm doing a lot of high res scans lately on an animated/illustration project, and unfortunately this means doing the dreaded manual scanning of many pages.

I have a great old flatbed scanner (canon 5200F and a backup canon MP280 all in one scan/print/fax), but if I could automate scanning 40-80 pages of stuff at 600-1200dpi that would be awesome. Mostly I work at A5, if that helps.

Anyone got some good advice in this area?

the_lion fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 29, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Neat skeleton!

I think you may be better optimising it in Photoshop. Greyscale gorilla has a Photoshop action that might help you. Skip to around 14:00 in the video here and he goes over how to compress from memory: http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/tutorials/basics-of-seamless-looping-animation-part-2/

Short answer: the more frames,motionblur and colours, the more problems you may have. Gifs are only 256 colours or less, so they tend to cause banding and stuff.

He's doing a lot of similar stuff: http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/tiny-animations/

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

redcheval posted:

Oh, this is cool! I haven't seen his .gifs before. I was fiddling around in the Photoshop settings, but coming at it with a complete lack of knowledge on what all the settings really entailed and how to compress a .gif down to a manageable size without hemorrhaging quality, well, it was definitely confusing! His video and Photoshop action really helped, thank you!

No worries! I just remembered there's a bit in the PYF Gif thread, 2nd post. That might help you too.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537727

quote:

Find an office supply place that has a scanner with a paper feeder?

Paper feeder! That's what I was looking for, but couldn't think of the name.
Buying one is probably out of my league ($4000), but office supply place might be for me.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 2, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

An Ounce of Gold posted:

E: serious question time: why not make digital storyboards? I made a few templates in AI and group each section together as a card (in case I need to move things around). I have not looked back at paper since.

Yeah, I use Wonderunit storyboarder for my digital storyboards. It's free and good!