Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I bought the animator's survival kit off of amazon; any other books on animation I should get to learn foundational skills in animation or the 12 principles? My goal is to learn skills as a 3D character animator for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

CaptainCrunch posted:

The Illusion of Life
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786860707/

Before the Animator’s Survival Kit, it was the de facto bible of animation.

Thanks!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ccs posted:

For game animation specifically you’ll also want to check out Jonathan Cooper’s book on the subject.
https://www.gameanim.com/book/

Also while self teaching is possible, most people who break into the industry do so by taking classes through iAnimate or Anim School’s game animation programs. It also really helps to be located in a place where the tax credits subsidize the game industry. For example Montreal is stuffed to the gills with game studios because the government is subsidizing everyone by 40%. Meanwhile it’s very difficult to find entry level jobs in the US because there isn’t a subsidy system. Though games are on a bit better financial footing than vfx companies, so they didn’t all flee to the tax havens the way the visual effects industry has.

Currently I am in Montreal working as a gameplay developer. Albeit, not directly for the games industry. I help maintain/add features to industry training simulators. :argh: But at least if I work here for long enough transfering into the actual industry should be easier by actually having "game developer x years" on my CV.

I'm mainly interested in learning animation for indie game personal/side projects and as a potential fall back career as I find it really fun/satisfying. I have some experience with 3D character modeling, rigging and animation but still fairly beginner.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Great stuff Mister Beeg! I would give your socials a follow but I've maxed out on my twitter the number of people I can follow. :(

For the thread in general, I got my copies of the Animators Survival Guide (softcover), The Illusion of Life (hardcover, was cheaper than softcover), and Game Anim; any other resources that would be good for 3D animation or maybe modelling, rigging and so on? Maybe something more geared towards actually shooting/compositing scenes? I'm primarily using Blender.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The strangest coca cola commercial I've seen, pro click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

bitmap posted:

you know what, man, thats so exactly what I was going for it really makes me feel good to see someone say it

Awesome. :)