Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it
OK so I don't know a single thing about animating, and I have a couple of undoubtedly retarded questions for this thread. I want to make a moving picture comparable to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2klX-puUU

From what I can gather, this consists of reams upon reams of hand drawn pencil images and none of it is done on the computer, which is what I want. I'm not concerned with the polish that comes along with refining things on the computer, or doing something professional-quality with hand drawn images either like old animations, I just want to get a moving thing into a video from a trillion pages of loose leaf paper, and be able to add sounds from mp3s I made as well.

I can kinda draw stuff and have some amount of faith in my ability to reproduce a character over and over with slight variations that will end up indicating motion, I somewhat understand the mechanics of how things move and look when they're doing things, but my big problem is how the hell do I get it onto the computer like that?

Like I said, retarded questions.

To me, that video I posted looks like they took a bunch of PICTURES of the drawings and then stitched it together in... something. That can't be right, maybe they scanned them all and the "smudginess" (especially in the first bit) are a result of handling the paper or something. This is what I have access to:

-lots of paper
-pens/ pencils
-a scanner
-CS3

Yeah, I'm that animation-illiterate that I don't know what in CS3 I would need to use to make a moving picture. All I use in there is photoshop, but I have the whole thing thanks to a nice friend of mine.

So, can I make a thing like the video I posted using the things I have available to me, without ending up with that "flash look"? Cause I don't want it to look like a flash thing.

Basically what I'm looking for is step-by-step instructions as if you were speaking to a child, like "scan pictures, put them in a folder, open this program, put them in there in this manner, tell it to do this thing, press this button, <computer magic here>, and then you have a video" but it is probably not that simple at all.

I've been meaning to learn the minimum I need to make something like this for a long time, but I've been drawing for hours each day lately and it has really vaulted my ability to draw characters in different poses so I figure now is a good time to finally start in on this type of thing!

If it helps, one time I made a flip book of a dong waving back and forth and it looked like the thing I posted only 2 seconds long and... a dong.

Thanks to anyone who cares to tackle my pathetic situation, cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it

Hackuma posted:

lots of nice advice

Thank you this is very helpful! I am not looking to make anything super clean so this right here should be enough to get me started. It isn't anything I'm jumping headlong into at the moment, but after I clear some projects out of the way then I am going to, so I wanted to make sure I had some vague idea of how to start before I started.

Thanks again!