Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I'm a professional graphic designer/animator for the power industry. Trained as a mechanical engineer, I read engineering drawings and rearrange them all pretty to teach people how power plants work. I do flash & illustrator, but I had to learn them on the job. I can field questions about what I do. I can't do those cool cutaways yet, sorry.

So hey even if you don't expect it, doodling your way through class isn't useless. I'm not doing fine art like you guys, it's all about speed and visualization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
gmc9987 did you use the 3D flash tools to do the island shot & scale-o's body in the walking scene or an outside program? They were smoooth. I've played with it a little, but we work in AS2, so I don't get use it day to day.

I know you're on the main timeline for most animation work (you just can't nest everything), but do you do much AS programming beyond gotoAndPlay() or stop()? We've ended up having to write several functions to speed up stuff that we have to do all the time like endless flows of arrows along a path and fading out the background behind a symbol to highlight it.

What do you do when flash breaks? Do you have a guy-who-knows-flash or some secret flash forum where people actually answer questions about things other than flash banners & how do i flash web?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Ok here's something that I don't understand about the new motion tweens. Maybe someone has heard of this.

New Motion Tweens inside symbols don't work between flash files, the motion path is offset/broken!

Ok hurr I need to use this animation again, copy & paste into my new flash file...

Oh no! The gray line has moved, and now the cellphone isn't even in the right place!

This is why we don't use the new motion tweens, even though they would be way easier. If I can't re-use a symbol in a different document, what's the point?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Oh, I didn't expect anyone to have an answer to my question, it was more a commiseration post.

I liked the jump sequence, but I'm not trained in fine art to offer much crit. The most I can say is that it's really consistent.

Hmm, That's a good point about crits. If you want to put up a flash video, you should probably include a frame-by-frame mode.

I can offer these tips. the quickest dirtiest way to do frame-by-frame is by putting a stop(); in every frame and then using ctrl-enter in flash player to increment frames. That's the least amount of work.

Then you just take the stops out and swf it out with a different name for a continuous loop version.

Alternatively, put a button in that increments frame. This is for AS2, so it'll work pretty far back versionwise.
Draw a button, Make it a button (f8, select type "button"), instance name it. (buttonName)
move it to a layer above your full animation.
select the frame with the button in it.
hit f9 to open the AS panel and paste this code
code:
buttonName.onPress = function(){
nextFrame();
};
stop();
Then just hit that button faster or slower.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
How do you guys troubleshoot shape tweens in flash? I'm not talking about a broken tween. My example is a long thin rectangle moving down. In the first and last frames it's proper, but in between it loses the bottom left corner and becomes a triangle. I've added shape hints and it doesn't change the behavior. I've observed similar behavior in other shape tweens, particularly in a three-keyframe sequence. It will tween fine from first to middle, but lose it's mind middle to end and no amount of shape hints will make it coherent.

I know that shape tweens are basically a black box tween, but sometimes I don't want to make a million stupid graphic symbol squares and circles in my library. I really want to like shape tweens, they are the only tween that can properly do a perspective shift while simultaneously increasing stroke thickness to simulate an object moving in 3D towards the viewer. Also, you can just draw and tween.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I see, I hadn't heard of separating stroke and fills, I'll give it a try.

I just spent the last week working on trying to dynamically generate and properly layer a given number of blades rotating around a hub in AS2 and now swapDepths & turbines in general are forbidden topics for office discussion. None of us are programmers :(

It looked really cool once we got it working but dynamically generating over a thousand blades and moving each of their z/depths/indexes every 90 frames wasn't even an option to export as a movie. Flash just chokes.

There were a lot of ways to look at the problem and in a production environment it really sucks to fail, but hey it wasn't that bad to do by hand, it's just not as dynamic.

The real problem in my mind is that a proper turbine blade twists as it gets longer, so the blade angle changes. I looked at doing it properly and that was at least 5 layers per blade, blah.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
pixel tools breaks in CS4. It conflicts with the bone tool.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I just saw this:
http://theblackheartgang.com/2007/12/18/the-making-of-the-tale-of-how-2007/

The Blackheart Gang put a "making of the Tale of How" on their website. They do a breakdown of two scenes and it turns out that each one has over 300 layers and they go in depth into the creation of the look and feel of the piece.

If you haven't seen it yet, watch it:
http://theblackheartgang.com/the-household/the-tale-of-how/

It was done by three people in their spare time over nine months. I wish I had such dedication and focus.

That's really great.

I'm curious how many flash based effects they use and if they took any steps to make the flash render without skipping frames. I saw some blending masks and some alpha in the clouds, which are processor intensive, but not deadly. Most of the actual animation appears to be timeline based. It looks like flash wasn't the final format so they don't have to worry about syncing the sound in flash. Eh, nevermind, unless they were compiling the final presentation on a netbook it wouldn't be an issue. Really good work by them, especially since they were doing it in their spare time.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Nate Breakman posted:

Hahah, this is exactly the way I feel so nevermind! Still love drawing in it, still wouldn't have finished my senior film without it, but yeah that program needs to not crash on me for undoing twice or something.

I have an instinct now. That instinct is that I almost always save my file before I hit ctrl-z. I've even had a spidey sense moment where I knew flash was going to crash based on wonky text input response and it did.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Butterflysmasher posted:

I used flash and a pixel art extention

Don't use this with CS4. It just doesn't work.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I remember it gave me some errors on every startup & compile, but I can't remember the specifics of any crashes or major problems. I found out the developer abandoned it and I gave up after hitting a few bugs. I didn't give it a fair shake, but since it was unsupported I wasn't willing to spend any time learning why it was giving me problems.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
check the scaling to make sure it's not scaled, check to make sure the text is positioned at whole pixels. I've found that masked text is a total bitch to make sharp, so avoid that if possible.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Hackuma posted:

I have masked text but it looks the same as the non masked. Also, I found out that changing the color from red to white made it less fuzzy, but still not good enough.

Try changing the anti-alias option from "anti-aliased for readability" to "bitmap text"

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I know this is a dumb question, but have you done the oct.09 update? I really haven't had all that many unpredictable crashes since that update.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
agreed, the tongue is AWESOME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Vaporware posted:

Ok here's something that I don't understand about the new motion tweens. Maybe someone has heard of this.

New Motion Tweens inside symbols don't work between flash files, the motion path is offset/broken!

Ok hurr I need to use this animation again, copy & paste into my new flash file...

Oh no! The gray line has moved, and now the cellphone isn't even in the right place!

This is why we don't use the new motion tweens, even though they would be way easier. If I can't re-use a symbol in a different document, what's the point?

Oh hey I figured out a way to fix this problem, sort of.

Use the tranform tool (q), Double Click the transformation point (white dot) to reset it's position. The Motion path and the object will snap back to the proper place.

weird.

I'm sure debuting CS5 is more important than fixing bugs like this that have been in CS4 since it came out.