Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
Getting my feet wet in animation at a community college like 2 minutes from CalArts. I plan on sending my portfolio to CalArts fairly soon and pray I get in. I'm extremely modest, but still fairly confident.

I have another book recommendation, too.

Eric Goldberg's "Character Animation Crash Course". This book is amazing and has helped me so drat much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...

Megera posted:

I've always been interested in storyboarding and character design and was wondering if anything in this book would help with that. I'd go to a bookstore and look for myself, but I haven't seen a single store carry it. :(

No, there really isn't anything about character designs besides the absolute basics. I have a book by Tom Bancroft, "Creating Characters with Personality", that's fairly decent. I haven't seen many character design books to be honest. I'd just go to CharacterDesign and study others' work, or just practice a lot.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...

Matty D posted:

Sorry Vape, I'm a flash noob.

Here is a pencil test of a fat mant jumpin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8sIOVMvezc

This is good. Tuna gave you some good advice. Something I would say is that maybe you should play with the leg timing at the jump. They seem to move at the same time; so I would have one leg move up, and then the other start to move up a few frames later. Also you could add some character to the legs, by not having them have the same animation. For example you could outstretch one of the legs to have it barely off the ground, or bend the knee more and be higher than the other one.

Actually, you could do that, but I find something really funny about the character be so formulaic in his leg positioning.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...

Times posted:

Hi, I made this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjX3s7wBIRQ

Feedback and critique would be appreciated.

Also I can post the model sheets later.

That one particular random drawing in the middle, and the one at the end, shows that you can draw in a very quirky and funny style. Embrace that. I don't really know how long you've been animating, but it seems like you're a little passive to get that side of you out. But once you break through that, it can be a blast. I was the same way.

As for your animation, it really doesn't look like animation quite yet, but a series of keyframes that need to be inbetweened.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
Yeah most of the animation looks incredibly Flash friendly.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
I actually prefer Character Animation Crash Course a little bit more than Animator's Survival Kit. Animator's Survival Kit, while fairly in-depth, can be extremely confusing. The amount of pages spent on walk cycles alone will boggle anyone's mind. Character Animation Crash Course is as in-depth, and I actually feel that the examples are better too. There is so much charm to the entire book.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
Anyone buy those "The Art Of... [Kung Fu Panda, Up, Finding Nemo, etc.]" books? I have the Bolt one and it's pretty good, any other recommendations?

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...

gmc9987 posted:

Fun story: I had to figure out this insane workaround to get a quicktime export out of flash, involving taking the SWF file into Aftereffects and re-syncing the sound manually with frame numbers. I thought, "This is stupid. There is no way this is how professional studios do it." Then, I went to comic con over the summer, and talked to Ghostbot, Inc, the studio behind the Erin E-surance commercials. I told them what I had come up with and they just laughed at me and said yep, that was exactly what they did.

Is that a huge pain in the rear end, or an annoyance?

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
I'm interested in learning more advanced animation techniques in Flash (CS4). I thought Flash was a good animating program when I took a class on it, but always felt conflicted: I didn't want to do the work because it's a computer program, and I hated my work because I couldn't do exactly what I wanted.

When should you animate by manipulating the vector shapes, and when should you animate with the drawing tools? Any general tips and suggestions? Basically how would a professional do it?

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...

9nine posted:

Heyoo- So I'm taking a puppet animation course this year and it's been really fun thus far. I'm halfway done with my first big puppet and made a quick short just to test the waters with him beforehand. It's my first time animating something other than pencil on paper, but I'm looking forward to the practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQ_ZzwREQc

The monster is just aluminum armature, epoxy, and needle-felted wool.

This is really, really good.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...

Hinchu posted:

No thank you, that's awesome. Keep showing us any progress! I might do my own... :)

Yeah, really. The clip was incredibly inspiring.

What I liked about it, 9nine, was that you obviously took your time to make it as lively as possible. I think a lot of people, even if they're advanced in traditional animation, would half-rear end it because of the medium. The animation could be a little bit more complex, but it was leaps and bounds what I expected. Great job.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...

God, this is so amazing. Pixar job well earned.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
So glad this thread is still around.

Here's my CalArts Character Animation portfolio I sent last week...

Life Drawing

Supplemental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
Hey everybody. I just released my third year film at CalArts, 3/4. Check it out!

https://vimeo.com/164772081