Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I actually didn't think these were a real-life product type thing; I figured Onstad had made it up, like Fiesta Max. And when I saw them in a freezer case, I immediately had to send a picture to a few people:

"Welcome to Hell, Mr. Smuckles. Here's your 1982 Subaru Brat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

World War Mammories posted:

heck, onstad already did it

This is a rough one lol. Wonder if it would be a good listicle to rank the most Problematic old achewoods

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Bismack Billabongo posted:

This is a rough one lol. Wonder if it would be a good listicle to rank the most Problematic old achewoods

oh for sure, let's take this thing we enjoy and point out the worst ones. great reading material

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
It would just end up being the grunty gin man one and the one where Ray says the n word anyways

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I dunno there's a lot of strips about how funny Onstad found Asian accents that could give 'em a run for their money

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
People pay a lotta money to not see a bunch of rotating Josephs.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

There are a few "Beef is uncomfortable with Molly's Lady Things" strips that even at the time read kind of harsh and disdainful. Unfortunately, some of them are also funny. (The Bead Store is extremely funny and also extremely a strip about "women be makin' you go shopping for her boring stupid lady stuff," for example)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

There are a few "Beef is uncomfortable with Molly's Lady Things" strips that even at the time read kind of harsh and disdainful. Unfortunately, some of them are also funny. (The Bead Store is extremely funny and also extremely a strip about "women be makin' you go shopping for her boring stupid lady stuff," for example)

SUPPORT EUTHANASIA FOR DUDES WHO HAVE BEEN BROUGHT TO THE BEAD SHOP

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Molly and Beef fighting has become old hat but I still adore this early strip

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ullerrm posted:

I actually didn't think these were a real-life product type thing; I figured Onstad had made it up, like Fiesta Max. And when I saw them in a freezer case, I immediately had to send a picture to a few people:

"Welcome to Hell, Mr. Smuckles. Here's your 1982 Subaru Brat."

In high school, my friend's mother used to keep a box of those in the freezer. They weren't half bad!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

moot the hopple posted:

Molly and Beef fighting has become old hat but I still adore this early strip

"He did, ma'am?" cracks me up. Guy is genuinely interested in hearing more about how cheap Roast Beef is, haha

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Oh my god I can't buy a burrito from someone who has done oral on me

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Antivehicular posted:

Somewhere right now Wallace Shawn is ears-deep in cleavage just giggling his head off, and I am at the bead shop.

(Fun Fact! This strip was released around the time that Southland Tales was in production, meaning Wallace Shawn may very well have been ears-deep in Bai Ling's cleavage.)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Both the AirB&B and the actual B&B ones contain no incidence of Molly actually wanting anything, too. He's just inventing lady things to be mad at. Same with the one where he has to buy shampoo for her. Sometimes it seems like the only difference between Pete and Beef is the courage of the former's convictions.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
I'm really digging these longer prose pieces he's been writing. I just hope he writes a regular-rear end long form book.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

theironjef posted:

Both the AirB&B and the actual B&B ones contain no incidence of Molly actually wanting anything, too. He's just inventing lady things to be mad at. Same with the one where he has to buy shampoo for her. Sometimes it seems like the only difference between Pete and Beef is the courage of the former's convictions.

Yeah, it really struck me how literally the only thing Molly even does in the B&B strip is ask Beef if he wants to do something special for his birthday, and then he's off to the races about BAD WOMAN IDEAS and DOING ANYTHING YOUR WIFE WANTS IS EMASCULATING. She doesn't even express an opinion!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The generous explanation is that the joke is supposed to be at Beef's expense, because he has incredibly debilitating depression and anxiety, but it's also funny to imagine Molly asking that and Beef stares into the ceiling for a solid ten seconds.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
beef has thoughtful moments around molly but they’re mostly in the blogs, and also probably get badly outnumbered by his faults as the relationship goes on

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

SacrificialGoat posted:

I'm really digging these longer prose pieces he's been writing. I just hope he writes a regular-rear end long form book.

Onstad says he's got one finished apparently. I'd definitely read it.

Until today's PSA, I was unaware of the dangers of the Savannah motorist and will take care that my feet never touch asphalt if I find myself in Georgia.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Oxxidation posted:

beef has thoughtful moments around molly but they’re mostly in the blogs, and also probably get badly outnumbered by his faults as the relationship goes on

Similarly the blogs are where we see most of Molly as an actual character and not just as Roast Beef's girlfriend/wife, and similarly where most of Tina's real character shows up(seriously Tina with just the comics vs Tina with both the comics and blogs are completely different characters)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

moot the hopple posted:

Until today's PSA, I was unaware of the dangers of the Savannah motorist and will take care that my feet never touch asphalt if I find myself in Georgia.

The Goofy cartoon about Mister Walker, pedestrian, and Mister Wheeler, MOTORIST!! was always one of my favorites

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phy posted:

The Goofy cartoon about Mister Walker, pedestrian, and Mister Wheeler, MOTORIST!! was always one of my favorites

Loved that. "Why, he wouldn't hurt a fly!"

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Youremother posted:

The generous explanation is that the joke is supposed to be at Beef's expense, because he has incredibly debilitating depression and anxiety, but it's also funny to imagine Molly asking that and Beef stares into the ceiling for a solid ten seconds.

The comic from 20 years ago today (February 18, 2004) really captures this aspect of Beef

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
lol @ Philippe

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

That one blissfully doesn't have an extended five panel dream sequence where he rants about stupid women always trying to fit you for drat fool products.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

It would just end up being the grunty gin man one and the one where Ray says the n word anyways
the one where Philippe learns a phrase and uses it to describe Ray's golf shot and gets written a check for six dollars, "a cute amount of money for a cute little guy"

for saying "big wet t_____ mess" or whatever it was

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the one where Philippe learns a phrase and uses it to describe Ray's golf shot and gets written a check for six dollars, "a cute amount of money for a cute little guy"

for saying "big wet t_____ mess" or whatever it was

“big hot ______ mess”

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tacodaemon posted:

The comic from 20 years ago today (February 18, 2004) really captures this aspect of Beef

I was personally thinking the Dec. 18, 2008 comic, specifically the first "selected scene"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Achewood Thread 12: Into the Ultra Peanutverse

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Angry_Ed posted:

I was personally thinking the Dec. 18, 2008 comic, specifically the first "selected scene"

weird sync with 28 May 2002

https://achewood.com/2002/05/23/title.html

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Last panel reminds me of the old Dark Horse books, that was the name for the last collection. Man, I really wanted those to continue or for the big All-in-One volume to come out :sigh:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly Onstad could probably do pretty well if he found one of those small indie publishers and had them do a Kickstarter to do the Achewood collection rather than trying to do it as a mass market release

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

There's not been a lot of doubt about Onstad and Achewood being FUCKIN' BACK BABY, but if anyone is doubting please read the new strip.

It's great. It's all been great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I don’t understand this one at all unless Beef actually dies in the next strip

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly I don’t understand this one at all unless Beef actually dies in the next strip

I imagine it's just Roast Beef being so unused to regular happiness without chemical assistance that he immediately assumes he must be dying rather than he's just having a good day like a normal person would

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
I've had days like that. There's no clear reason for feeling happy, but despite everything there's hot-spice jelly in my big Christmas belly.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

He's not in a good mood, he's just faking the mannerisms of someone that is so that Ray will respond to his emotions whining with more than a grunt and newspaper rustle.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it is well established that roast beef will conclude that anything even slightly unusual means that he's dying, for example that he didn't notice the mailman came, or that he's craving chinese food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

World War Mammories posted:

it is well established that roast beef will conclude that anything even slightly unusual means that he's dying, for example that he didn't notice the mailman came, or that he's craving chinese food

Dracula, the specter of death, the Inuit elder and Roast Beef are carpooling to Comic-Con