Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Spillane posted:

magical realism again oh boy well you can tell onstad isn't a farmer because he's not giving the soil a break that's for sure

shut your stupid face, I would read an achewood spinoff of magical realism until he got bored of making it.
seriously i love them so loving much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
We are a big fan of doing an egg wash, then a breading of a mix of cornmeal and flour with a few spices mixed in, then pan-fried.

Now I am hungry ... for more cookbook.

(I loved the first one, The Dogg is Home is a great late night study food. And Flavor Burgers were a big hit at the last barbeque I went to)

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Tony Millionaire!

What an amazing guest appearance! I love seeing other people draw Roast Beef.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Achewood anecdote. I met a girl at a conference and she had a small tattoo of Phillipe and Ultra Peanut holding hands. It was the cutest tattoo I have seen to date. She told me that it is not often recognized.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

pseudosavior posted:

If he's buying tampons for his lady, it just means there isn't a kid on the way.

If a dude is buying tampons it also means that he has a serious girlfriend who loves him and trusts him and he's enough of a dude to not be weirded out by a routine hygiene product.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

choobs posted:

All I would really want is the ability to see the new cartoons including the alt-text. I aim low.

Maybe it could beep or something when there was a new strip.

That's my only real beef with Achewood: I don't mind the nonstandard posting schedule, but before this thread it was always such a crapshoot. Usually I would end up checking it 3-4 times before a new one would be posted, but occasionally I would end up a couple behind.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I agree, I always saw it as portraying the funnier parts of marriage, and it's too bad that happiness isn't as funny as "Up yours wife"

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

OBAMA ACKBAR posted:

I'm not gonna say GURLZ WONT LIEK IT because I know that's not a given, but in general I think the GOF has a more direct appeal to guys than girls.

I'm a girl and I love Achewood and I bought the GOF book and gave it to my boyfriend and he thought it was "weird". Which is totally wrong of him but whatever, I'll win him over on Achewood one of these days.

(Also one of my friends is coincidentally also a girl, and has a tattoo of Ultra Peanut, and her husband has one of Phillipe which is so :3)

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
So I tried the brined pork tenderloin from the Achewood cookbook (vol. I) tonight, and it was extremely delicious! My sister turned up her nose at first since I got the recipe "from a website" but she ate a lot, and we have leftovers for tomorrow as well. The cat prowled around begging for all of dinner as well.

I brined the tenderloin for 3 days and it was kind of scary looking when I pulled it out of the fridge, but it cooked up real good (despite accidentally overcooking it due to a kale mishap). I can't wait for the 2nd cookbook.

[edit] because the cat was not brined

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 11, 2010

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

CannonFodder posted:

I didn't know what "wanted to hang a larry but flipped a bitch" meant. :(

He wanted to make a left turn but at the speed his vehicle was travelling, he could not maintain control and the car rolled over.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
:siren:New strip you jerks:siren:

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I liked that storyline mainly because we got to meet Lurquilla and Maynard.

"I GOT TO STAGE A LAWN-FIRE WHAT LOOKS BELIEVABLE!"

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Dorsal Penis posted:

Yeah, I don't care in what form Achewood appears, its a blessing that it appears at all, let alone that its completely free, archives and all. Cookbook fiasco aside, something of Achewoods quality to be free is a gift, and one that I don't plan to ever complain about or wish it be different. Theres an element of truth in that culture of 'entitlement' amongst fans that Gaiman talked about in that article Onstad linked to.

I totally agree with this. He has built his fanbase by producing years of amazing work, and that is no small challenge. Furthermore, he gave it away for free at his own expense - something that has somewhat paid out in donations and merchandise. Demanding a regular schedule for a free webcomic is ridiculous.

However, it would be nice if he announced a sabbatical instead of disappearing for months only to show up from time to time to say "Regular webcomicing again!". You're going to get some grumbling for failing to deliver on your own statements.

Furthermore, I was also one of the ones who pre-ordered the second cookbook - I don't know if the pre-order money is tied up with his distributor or what, but there was some serious oversight in taking pre-orders for a product that was not in the late stages of production and on its way to shipping. Someone is responsible for a refund, and I hate that this conversation is mixed up with the "write moar comix nao!!" whining. While he is not responsible for explaining his actions via his free, creative enterprise, on this issue we really need a statement, even if it is bad. Acting like it never happened is hurting his credibility more than any business issues here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Kenny Logins posted:

I really like the idea of making a food so shameful that you have to leave it at a fire station, and take pains to do so anonymously.

It also works because a mandrake root looks like a little man and has traditionally been the subject of baby-replacing folklore!