Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dacap posted:

You can play the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy one online http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game_nolan.shtml

May God have mercy on his soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

McGravin posted:

Like the gigantic plot hole? This one:

All these reporters are trying to figure out the significance of Kane's last word, "Rosebud", right? Except Kane was alone when he died. No one else was in the room to hear it. How did the reporters find out what his last words were? Were they hiding in the walls? Was Claude Rains their source?

And when someone brought it up, Welles' reaction was silence for a couple of seconds then "You better not tell anyone about this".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

say no to bats posted:

Its kinda funny that the dude has totally dropped the ball on all of his "makes me money" Achewood projects for so long now, much less the general neglect the strip has fallen into.

Makes you wonder if the dude's got a real job elsewhere now or a new project and hasn't the heart yet to cut the cord, although all those outstanding preorders on things probably creates problems.

I just want a THE DUDE HAS GOT NO MERCY t-shirt, but I can't justify myself spending a shitload on a shirt and shipping charges.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
At least there's an Onstad that still produces something :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Aeldaar posted:

but it is in character!

That is so violently out of character for Roast Beef and you know it. Dude would just stare at the empty jelly jar for a couple of seconds, marker in his hand ready to write "tip jar", then break down and run to his little corner.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Guava posted:

I'm all for Achewood quitting when it's past its prime. The only thing is...when Achewood deigns to update, it's still great (usually- I wasn't digging Lash of Thanatos). There have been (kinda) recent strips that made me tear up and laugh at the same time. I'll take one of those every couple months over nothing at all.

That's the thing, though. There comes a time where we're all "oh god why won't he update anymore SCREW ACHEWOOD I'M OUT" but then he updates with a hysterical, beautiful, incredibly clever and likeable comic and everything is forgiven, until a month later where the cycle begins anew.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Man, I wish I had Chris Onstad's problems (running a successful business that consists of me getting awards for and writing comics). Hell, I would even do it without begging for money during the months-at-a-time I couldn't be bothered!

My heart truly goes out to him :(

Webcomic guys don't get much scratch, even with merchandise. I agree that the guy isn't acting very professional, but you're being an rear end.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

Yes but they do provide one thing that most other webcomic artists would kill for. Free large scale advertising the likes of which is next to impossible to get. I'm going to echo the sentiment Wolfshein has. Most people would make a deal with a devil to get into the position he had.

There's no ads on the website itself, so Onstad gets no money off of more people visiting it. Merchandise also has a ridiculously small profit margin, so his increase in income would be negligible.
Also, I feel the influx of more people visiting his website while he barely updates would have an effect similar to this on his psyche:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Let's just hope this isn't just a retread of Ray Goes to Hell, like the Lash of Thanatos thing was for Cartilage Head.

(goddamn this comic strip has the weirdest names for its story arcs)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Fren posted:

Achewood has always been about the interactions of our favorite characters and various psychopomps. Trouble Man and No-No, Edison, Cartilage Head. I don't think I'd consider it genuine if we didn't go on these surreal rides every once in a while.

No but I mean that the Lash of Thanatos stunk of being all "hay guys remember CARTILAGE HEAD? He's back! In pog form! :iamafag:"
Let's hope this isn't "Hey guys remember when Ray went to hell? Well here he is in an identical situation again! :iamafag:"

Of course I could be wrong and this is gonna be awesome and classical and I'll happily retract these feelings.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
gently caress me, I envisioned this as a strip perfectly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
ComicsAlliance interview
So, is it verboten to wonder why no one asks him what's up with the preorder money he ran away with? Or has that been resolved and I haven't been made aware yet?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Van Dis posted:

That label was self-applied in alt text, facetiously, to excuse something vulgar, and has since been adopted by fans.

In all seriousness, Onstad's fraud/chicanery aside, Achewood has taught me that you can do mindbogglingly good things with the english language.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zorak posted:

There's no reason Onstad can't use things like Topatco though.

Well people are probably going to be apprehensive to give him money after the whole "ripping people off" fiasco. I don't think Topatoco would get much profit from that.
But yeah poor Onstad divorce definitely sucks and explains 2011's derth of content (but not him stealing from people)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Wootcannon posted:

I wonder if he calls his wife the Vulva Of Despair.

What wife?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Plus, you gotta take into account Beef is supposed to outlive all of his friends, so chances are he either killed himself or depression and anxiety got him so hard that his body just shut down by itself.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I just love Onstadt's way with words in this one. The best thing about achewood is you could read a line completely out of context and almost always correctly guess who said it (assuming you don't have that particular strip memorized).

Seriously. It's kinda incredible how Onstad managed to make each character, each one presumably based off of an aspect of his own personality, so distinct and different from each other. His only slip-up (which I think is more of an indulgence) is that pretty much the entire cast knows a great deal about food and cooking.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Loving Life Partner posted:

I feel like Seth Rogen would work as Teodor

How the hell do you cast Nice Pete? :stare:

Who is the most eerie soft spoken American breadbasket gentleman we can go with?

Mr. Rogers, if he were alive.
Super excited to see where this leads. I don't mind the animation, since I always figured Achewood would have a non traditional style.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Short as it may be, Lyle's brief stint into sobriety and his endeavor to subtly improve the quality of life of a religious, all girl school, where he is imprisoned and trying to escape, via cooking is one of my most favorites bits of writing I've ever read in my life.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh my loving god please just let this story line die already.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Jesus Onstad what did <ex-wife> do to you man

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
He's basically saying he's found a job that made him happy and he'll talk about Achewood at a later date.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Want it but don't have pm. Maybe an email? Calaveron at gmail

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I am happy to have been alive while Achewood existed

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

High Lord Elbow posted:

To Onstadt's credit, all great comic strips tend to burn out after ten years or so. Bloom County, Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes... Their creators all realized that it was time to end it. (Ok, Berke Breathed tried to pull a couple of Onstadt's when he ran out of dough.)

It's the lovely comics that continue forever (Garfield, etc.).

Onstadt's biggest failure is that he neither ran this poo poo into the ground by churning out utter garbage like clockwork for years, nor ended it with a clean and definite break. And so people hold him up for contempt and mockery instead of celebrating a successful and brilliant run that left the party before it got drunk and puked down the front of the hostess's dress.

This would've been the perfect end of the strip, since one of the major themes of Achewood I feel is that while life might sometimes be a shitshow, it is still life and we must learn to enjoy it, and Téodor coming to terms with that makes perfect sense as a closing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Wasn't word on this thread that the facebook group are full of sadbrains people who post the miserable things that happen in their lonely lives?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It's basically a retreat of the isosceles lock strip

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'd legit pay some serious scratch for a big, full-color reproduction of this strip

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I think it really is time to say goodbye to the Achewood thread, and thus, Achewood

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

The idea of Teodor getting threatened by Lyle, doing push-ups in a vain effort to get fit to prevent this happening again, then just bursting into tears, all observed through the lens of Philippe's perspective.... well what a wonderfully unexpected return to Achewood that was :allears:

The implication is that the stuffed tiger forced the teddy bear to do push ups as a punishment for eating the sandwich.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
This is like the perfect Achewood

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

You son of a bitch you edited my post in your quote

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It's not the joke, it's the execution

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Achewood.com is the least mobile-friendly website I've ever visited

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Remember that week where Ray carried around a Ken doll he would randomly pants to keep himself grounded and everybody at random times would have their pants just fall down?
Or the whole deal with Téodor terrorizing Onstad with Risotto, culminating with having Philippe just writing the word risotto with rice.
Or Ray's pool gloves with the VR goggles.
Or Pat being a huge rear end in a top hat?

Man you know the blogs by themselves could've been all the Achewood we ever got and it would still have been fantastic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Leroy Dennui posted:

I also felt it wasn't good and was trying too hard until I realized Charlie Brown is just whining in reaction to being in Nice Pete's van.

He just wants to get to that damned secret ice cream shop

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The one voice Onstad will never be able to not write spot on is Beef's

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Achewood might be coming back but I think this thread needs to die

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006