Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

withak posted:

Spillane start an achewood sucks thread if you want to have an intelligent discussion on the topic.

I let my fanflow subscription lapse for some of the same reasons Spillane is talking about. Sporadic, infrequent, unexpected updates are not an inevitable component of the creative process. Particularly when the author's method is to promise a time, break that promise, promise a new time, break that promise, and THEN it appears. That's irritating. If a man promises me delicious, free pie at noon, then tells me at noon to come back at 2, then to return at 4, and then again the next morning, it's still a tease, free pie or not, and it's kind of frustrating.

Plus, if a man is squatting on a stage in public, grunting and squeezing, and has me check in every so often to watch him gasp and push, I'm going to be disappointed if he lays just your basic turd. I know that's unfair -- I'm not paying for the turds and what else comes out of there? But with all that loud effort, I'm expecting golden eggs.

Basically what I mean is that Onstad could and should do a better job managing reader expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Rustmouth Chafings posted:

Seriously, where the hell did Nice Pete drive? Isn't Achewood in Southern California? Are there really neighborhoods there where people talk like that?

Northern California. Which is where Onstad lived until recently I think? And Pat doesn't make as much sense in SoCal.

I've met a couple 100% like this. Older, white. They have this elaborate plan where the wife, who is like 5'2" and slender, will handle the intruder-shooting duties because the husband, at 6'1", is less likely to get off on self-defense.

Then the husband lectured me on how I should tilt my computer monitor down to reduce eye strain. THEN they wanted to know how I felt about Israel: do you agree that it's okay to shoot muslims.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

glug posted:

In other unrelated shirt conversation, if you shop at Abercrombie and Fitch it is assumed that you are a pedophile and also enjoy being assaulted by terrible cologne. In fact, they assume this if you just go to a mall that happens to contain one of their stores.

Here is their CEO:

He is 64. (61 in the photo).