Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fillerbunny posted:

Am I the only one who reads Todd's voice as a stuttering Err from Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

I can only hear Todd as MC Chris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Vaporware posted:

I understand what you're saying, but onstad's in a storytelling mood. I don't think we'll see a return to gags until he wants that to be the focus. It may be that the gags turn into these storylines instead of just ending after one strip.

Personally I'm expecting the action to cut away from Todd completely, with whatever happened to him being mentioned in a quick throwaway line/panel, if at all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Smoke posted:

:siren: New strip! :siren:

Oh man. I don't really know what to think about this strip. :smithfrog: :smith: :smithicide:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dove from Above posted:

Aren't all these embarrassment issues the exact reason why condoms should be sold from vending machines? That is something the Japanese have got right.

You guys don't have condom vending machines in mens rooms?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Muffin Loaf posted:

On the one hand, I am really glad we're getting frequent new strips. On the other hand, I'm kind of weirded out by the topical humor angle in some of them.

Yeah, the latest strip is a poor joke executed well - what saves it is the weird application of Achewood tropes to what essentially is a "and what's the deal with airline food?" gag.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Teodore can and will still gently caress this up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

This is the first time that Phillipe being perpetually 5 has creeped me out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

DocFrance posted:

Bill Watterson never said "Hmm yes, let's have a story arc exploring the deep philosophical ramifications of a boy who has been six for almost a decade."

It's a joke, people.

So what's the current arc about? What's with that look that his mom gives the pictures of Phillipe that all show him at the same age (5)?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

That was in reaction to his meal request.

They were rhetorical questions to Doc France who I guess is trying to tell himself that a punchline is coming any day now. It'll have brown crunchy bits and delicious juices. :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Chris Onstad posted:

Yeah, people have been saying this since like October 2, 2001. Come on, people. Achewood gets weird in the winter and happy in the summer. There is a trend.

What happens if someone sends you a special lamp to sit under?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

Without getting too fruity-sounding I think Achewood has transcended simply being a webcomic a while back.

Nope, pretty sure it's still a webcomic, no matter how much subtext it has/doesn't have.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I remember someone said "Achewood was best before you started reading it". Might've been in this thread, might've been an older one. The way it's set up, when you're going through the archive and reading all the old stuff, if you don't like a comic, you can just click next. Arc is long? Whatever, you don't have to wait for the next comic or anything. Then you get current, and the ones you don't like stand out since you don't have that "fast forward" anymore.

Yeah, long breaks between strips break the momentum and give you enough time to think about it and go "....this is dragging out, and a bit stupid". If you're reading it all in one go, there's no pacing issues and everything just rolls along.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Grilldos posted:

You are taking a very extreme angle and I recommend you stop before this thread devolves into its monthly argument earlier than scheduled.

He's right though.

If I had the money I'd buy a book rather than donate. That way everyone wins.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Cobweb Heart posted:

Because the "Japan = tentacle rape/high school girls" joke is still funny, right? No, according to Wikipedia, Japanese whisky is supposed to be, for the most part, an imitation of Scottish whisky.

Nikka whisky isn't too bad either.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shmoses posted:

Is this Teodor/Nice Pete story going to get resolved at all?

We'll eventually get a burst of strips that will resolve the plot and have a couple of Ray-centric inconsequential humor strips, then the update schedule will drop back to zero again.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think what makes it worse is the donate link at the top of the page.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

benito posted:

But in all cases, there was an explanation,

This is what's bugging me. I'd be even more pissed if I subscribed to the fanflow.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I see the withdrawal has gotten so bad that we've started writing Achewood fanfiction.

Countdown till the terrible roleplaying begins.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Teodor is his self insert, right?

Maybe Onstead is dealing with coming out.

VVV Neither of these things would surprise me!

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 18, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gomi posted:

I just feel uncomfortable every time there's a new strip and it affords no closure, replacing narrative continuity with a series of narrative continuances, if you will.

Reading through the archives, this lack of closure is pretty common. Storylines just stop without any sort of conclusion, probably deliberately since that kind of neat resolution never really happens in real life. It's fine when there are continuous new strips because you can just keep rolling along with the comic, but when updates are scarce it's more jarring.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

The dude writing Achewood looks exactly like a dude who is not finishing up the arc he started back in loving May.

The arc is over, highschool is over, and it's for the best because if the storyline WAS still going, we'd have to wait 2 months for a continuation instead of waiting that long for a stand alone strip about a sad cat.

EDIT: I was exagerating about the wait, it's just over a week between this one and the previous, which the single-strip stuff probably helps with too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Boy Named Sue posted:

Then Onstad starts to update again, releases several large and entertaining Fanflow updates and yet goons are STILL complaining because "RAAARGGGH FINISH THE STORY, MY PRECIOUS CONTINUITY!!!"

I don't give a poo poo about continuity OR the fanflow, all I want is a regular update schedule, or just a quick "hey guys having some Things happen so updates are scarce".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

stupid ugly retard posted:

When did he say that was what was up? I thought he never said anything so I just assumed he was summering in Europe

He didn't, so I don't know the correct of slack to be cutting here!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

setafd posted:

I'm probably gonna stop checking Achewood. Doesn't seem like much is gonna happen there.

I took it off my reader since I figured that if this thread is bumped there's probably a new strip, but I may have to re think that position as well :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

glug posted:

Feel free to fawn with sycophantic praise or legitimately criticize though.

Onstad is doing himself a disservice with his indifferent update schedule and (reportedly) lackluster fanflow content, and maybe it's time he reevaluated where he wants to go with Achewood because he's losing readers and generally hurting the good thing he had going.

Okay now you go.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

csammis posted:

Where's the donation link to keep the cartoonist lit and firing?

It'd be the url of a place to buy antidepressants online. :smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Man I hope he moves on to other things, dude has talent.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

That was pretty weak, but at least it was an update.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Welp, that's that then. Pack it up, we're done.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Manwithastick posted:

My first instinct was to tweet back "Any news on the cookbooks?"

does this make me a troll?

No, and you should do this.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

So I guess that's our comic for the next year or so then.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'll be pretty happy if Achewood is a consistant one-a-week update like this.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

So if the pattern holds, should we be expecing an update around about now?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Man, I really thought this time would be the time that achewood started updating regularly again.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Telex posted:

It's real hard to do something new. I wish him the best at getting something new figured out, or get back into the groove with what's already been done but this middle ground of nothingness is not healthy in a creative or mental way.

Well he's doin this food review thing, it'll probably work out okay.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

paint dry posted:

Onstad says there'll be three new strips this week:

"1/31/2012: A new strip triptych posting Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday night this week. Stay tuned!"

Excellent, this is all I want. Give me more achewood. Make me care about your strips enough to maybe buy a book when I have the disposable income.

I'd like the cookbook poo poo resolved too, but I don't have a stake in that race so...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

But yay, an update I guess?

Pretty much. It's not all that bad but it would have read better as one in a series of rapid updates, which is what I imagined Onsted planned it as.

Instead we're getting drip-fed non-sequiturs. It's not surprising no-one's impressed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Psycho Serum posted:

Oh look guy with Homestuck avatar has Stupid Opinions about webcomics

Which is why it's so mystifying that someone with a Gunnerkrigg avatar can make such terrible posts. :rolleyes:

There's something definitely up with Cornelius's dialog, and I don't think there's any in-comic reason for it, and Onstad being a bit rusty writing the bear is a pretty good explanation.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

When I was back home for Thanksgiving break, my little brother told me to fluff his hog.

I was laughing too hard to be annoyed.

You should have written him a $6 cheque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MondayHotDog posted:

He's just rusty. He'll get back in the hang of it.

You're right, maybe the next strip in 2016 will be better.