Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Zereth posted:

Hey, in this strip, can anybody tell what that thing in the outlet is? I never noticed it before.

Judging by the opened pack on the floor, my guess would be that Ray wanted to see if the outlet would smoke a cigarette. He can be a bad influence, sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I'm still not sure I understand the alt-text. "The cat is pulling a low-stakes Verbal Kint." It's a reference to The Usual Suspects and the protagonist/villain, but I'm just not seeing the connection.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

fyodor posted:

I did that. Who wants it?

Also, Pop Art Inc. Chris Onstad hates this thread:

I would also like a copy, please.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Well poo poo. Now I gotta go get politically active instead of subsuming my anxieties in the antics of raunchy cartoon cats.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I just realized that Ray has two whole cooked chickens in his fridge in this strip

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12062005

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

JethroMcB posted:

what would YOU scream to kill a chicken

HUSH! HUSH YE TO A MAN! DID GOD BOO JESUS AS HE WAITED TO BE BORN?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I hit random and rediscovered this gem: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12222008

Words that Beef needed to hear, for entirely misunderstood reasons. I wonder how often he thinks about this clerk.

Also what in the blazes is going on with that outline in the first panel? Is that a fish planting a ski flag?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I don't think I've ever encountered people doing this but the part of my brain that loves trash very much wants to find some examples. Is this an IRL thing or are there examples online I could go and find in the manner of a raccoon feasting on fish heads?

Also, I just noticed that those automated diary strips take place on my birthday. It is nice to find a birthday strip.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Jerusalem posted:

I always forget about the way Philippe knocks on the door in the first panel of this strip :3:

I forgot that this sequence of events is what lead to this rumination on privacy

My friends still quote the fourth panel when one of us overshares.

alt text: Imagine two elevators bashing a lifeless body to death, in alternation

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Jerusalem posted:

However Beef's stomach wanting to know if Showbiz is doing okay is very :3:

This strip led me to a 30-minute wikipedia hole looking up fletcherizing and let me tell you, it was not an interesting food fad.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I know it’s explicitly shown in the strips, but reading the blogs more than anything made me realize that Ray Has Alcoholism

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Does anyone have that collection of the achewood strips with the alt texts below each strip that some goon collected a while back?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Hold on hold on hold on, we're on page 420, we cannot disrespect Ray Smuckles like this and not post Ray Gets Sort Of Stoned.

http://achewood.com/?date=01272005

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Ray has a crush on being high pass it on

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Time from me seeing this to placing an order: Under one minute. Thank you for relieving me of this awful $20

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I keep the first 6 zines in their protective plastic sleeve in my bedside table to cheer myself up with on a rough evening. I could not be more excited to add this one.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Christ, I miss Assetbar. I was just re-reading the archives and I got to the part after uncle Culpepper is revealed to be Liebot, where the bots are driving around showing their asses, and I remembered having an extended discussion in the assetbar comments about whether this was how Liebot celebrated any given extended lie that he pulled off, if it were a hallucination in his dying robot brain, or if it were some kind of unrelated gag strip like Onstad does now and then. That community was one of the best parts of Achewood.
Gone now. Like so many worthwhile things, it was not supportable under capitalism, or the new Web. Such a loss.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Ok Comboomer posted:

what is the saddest thing?

The day that a web forum closes, and each member says their goodbyes, as their comments, one by one, disappear, each saying they will see each other around the internet even as they know it to be a lie. (StrangeCares chubbied this comment)

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Erebus posted:

This?

There are Assetbar archives here, though I can't account for how complete they are.

This legitimately feels like a christmas miracle to me. I'm so happy, you have no idea.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Lurdiak posted:

I mean sure. A huge amount of the casual humor in the strip is about people being tacky, classless or not world wise and thus deserving of contempt. Society has forever associated these traits, and the very concept of class, with poverty. Even Roast Beef, who is dirt poor and carries a ton of baggage, is allowed to judge other trashy people because while he might be poor, he has the good sense not to bother others with his poorness and not be tacky about it. A lot of what Ray doesn't like about some of his other rich acquaintances, particularly bensington butters, is all about this concept of respectability and projecting classiness. And in turn Beef, Cornelius and sometimes even Teodor rag on Ray for being a tacky, Trump-like cash-flasher with no sense of refinement. These dynamics also reflect themselves in the meticulously described fake subcultures he creates for the strip as well, such as Nice Pete's intensely complex country decorum, or the unspoken rules of the garage sale world. There are rules, and there are spaces one is meant to occupy, and stepping outside of them is to invite ridicule.

This is Onstad conveying that anyone can be tacky and ridiculous within certain contexts, but as I said, societally these traits are overwhelming associated with the poor. A loud drunken vagrant will always be considered tackier and more undesirable than a golden helicopter by the public at large. This isn't me trying to say Onstad is bad or secretly reactionary, it's just his work reflecting the culture he lives in, which is why I said this isn't unique to conservatives. Hierarchical thinking that reinforces class disparity can be found in a lot of modern comedy from all over the political spectrum.

I know there's some people who have a kneejerk opposition to trying to examine Achewood like it's literature in this thread, but I wasn't trying to be "vapid" or make myself seem smart when I said that, it's just something I noticed about the comic that I like.

While I don't necessarily agree with all of this, I do love literature-style analysis of pretty much everything I enjoy, so that's always welcome with me.

I agree with the sentiment that Onstad is reflecting the inherent unfairness of society in regards to tackiness, and the toleration therof according to how much money you have. Most of his grotesques live squarely in the zone of deprivation, and tend to have traits that, as I've gotten older, I've seen more and more as inherently sad and reflective of the cruelty of capitalism towards those from whom it can no longer extract value.

To me, a lot of what Onstad's humor lives in is that exact stepping-out of boundaries, both for good and ill, which is something that I identify with strongly as a New Englander. While we might claim to be all about egalitarianism, what New Englanders really love is strict social rules that must apply to everyone, rich and poor. We hate it when anyone steps out of these lines, and will forcefully hammer them back into place with our greatest tool - icy silence and minding our own business.

Ray steps out of the bounds of these rules all the time, and is protected from the consequences by his wealth and, let's face it, almost total lack of the ability for self-reflection. He's prodded back into the bounds of society by the disapproval of his friends from lower social economic status, reflecting the way that society is 'supposed' to keep the rich in line, which of course only works in a comic strip.

Roast Beef is very interesting from a New England point of view because his almost pathological adherence to the rules of society, his ability to manipulate those rules and expectations to his ends, and his rare, intense breaking of them, reflect the other end of the spectrum. Roast Beef had to learn the rules of the system he is in so well that they've been branded into every neuron, because society will not afford him the same allowances as Ray when he breaks them.

Todd lives entirely outside of the rules of that society, which we can also read in his depiction as a silhouette, a void into which the light of the world cannot reach.

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 29, 2020

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I want to frame these and hang them on my wall. A perfect series of words and images.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Made a playlist on YouTube of all of the Radio Achewood tracks I could find. The Lifestyle and Luxxury ones eluded me, so I made some mp3s into mp4s and stuck them up there.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlG05p1MULzGX3ZBGwfDKv1QRnjG3zRA7

Hell yeah dude. I've been tracking down as many as I can through Archive.org, and that's been an rear end and a half to do so I know how much work this must've taken. Thanks for putting this together.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

drrockso20 posted:

The horny levels go up when you find out that one of the proposed ideas for a sequel was a film centered around the Chipettes as adults, and well the known existing doodles for this idea are very cursed

How on Earth did you even learn this extremely cursed knowledge

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 25, 2021

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Is achewood.com down for anyone else?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

What makes it a Judas Priest Friday?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

davidspackage posted:

Yo momma's so greedy, she won't pee.

An exerpt from an essay from 200 years hence, when Achewood has become viewed as the Canturbury Tales of the 2000s

"Onstad's preoccupation with the unwillingness, even inability to micturate freely due to flaws of intellect or temperament mirror the millenial anxiety of the lack of the authentic self.
The freedom to eliminate, even appreciate, bodily waste is seen as both creative freedom and social connection, reaching across class boundaries. One has only to look at the so-named "Toilet Party" arc of Achewood, the free and bountiful joy of cross-class connection, and indeed the "shiv"-ing of Pat Reynolds, a character who holds himself above others, to see how this idea crosses the entirety of the work"

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I thought about that too! I always figured that Rod busted through multiple walls. Once you've gone through one, why stop running? You're only gaining in momentum, like a beautiful husky man-train.

EDIT:
On closer inspection, I have been wrong in this assumption for years. It is a day of discoveries for me.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Happy 20th birthday Achewood. Anyone got plans to celebrate?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

This is exactly what I wanted. All my guys, stoned, together on the thread.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I used to rock up to high school in my cargo shorts with a paperback book in each enormous pocket. This lasted until my junior year abroad in college when a professor commented, not unkindly, on it as being "such an american high school thing," and I shame spiraled into wearing flattering pants.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

e: mistake post

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 26, 2022

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Pattonesque posted:

Ray got in and out at the perfect time, netting him a cool billion dollars, but in both cases he thought he was signing up for and then canceling a massage
EDIT: poo poo, my finger slipped on mobile and now I have two emptyquotes instead of one substance quote.

Ray thought he was arranging for a woman to form a relationship between her bottom, a cake, and his back.

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 26, 2022

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

"Lyle wiped two tokens under his arms and put them back with the rest. It seemed to give him energy."

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Wanderer posted:

You know what, Pat is that one jagoff in every thread on Twitter about blockchain ecological impacts who talks about, well, actually, with this new technology that nobody loving uses, crypto is carbon neutral.

Pat also minted his own token which is entirely run off of a server he maintains that's made out of discarded coconut husks and is powered by a generator that runs off his exercise bike. "Patcoin" is the only true green cryptocurrency and if you think about buying one, the attendant caloric expenditure means you're already out money on the deal.

Pat delivers hand-defunged tokens to a central pickup location via his gravity sensible skitter-cart. The pickup location is an all-vegan bestitute farmer's market where you have to commit to buying $87 worth of goods to enter. There is no parking.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Holy poo poo how did I miss that after all these years of poring over this strip

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

You've got such a wealth of Achewood toilet-based strips:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11052007
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08302004
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01052004

This one gives you a fun experiment you can do once you're off the can: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11012007

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Showing as Jan 2023 on bookshop.org to me!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

MONDAY!

(Which Monday? Ah get outta here with your questions!)

For the love of god let us know what actually arrives in that box

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

hexwren posted:

yeah, I've got the images. also with them are a few small pdfs. lemme see about a way to upload this stuff. it's like six megs.

e: I have never done google drive stuff, tell me if this is inaccessible: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SjSeWLYbZQNAhXqIfrBPbJwG93mNWEwT?usp=sharing

at least I assume this is the right stuff? there's a little bit of overlap with what's been mentioned as already been had, but I am not an achewood expert

There is balm in Gilead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Antivehicular posted:

As someone who has gotten way too involved with Health Products lately, I appreciate Pat's Soothies being described as "nutrio-negative"

I really want to know more about your experience with Health Products, because I'm sure that that phrase unpacks very differently for you than it does for me.