Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

tripwood posted:

The GOF concept would work wonders in the Disco Elysium engine!

the Great Outdoor Tribunal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Disco Elysium except it's Ray and he's trying to find a nacho recipe he forgot. Kim is Beef.

don't even have to change the title. or the main character's nickname.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
You know this man. He is your knucklehead from old times.

e:

dogg I will not do pyrholidon with you dogg. that poo poo has hell of sodium molecules.

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 5, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Fister Roboto posted:

Beef doesn't have enough Authority to be Kim, unfortunately.

and Ray is going to be peeling off 100-réal notes right and left. Pat's the smoker. the Sunday Friend is Rod. instead of discussing neoliberalism they get into a mild domestic bicker. join us, won't you.

PS: the first racist is also Pat. he is racist against barbers.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
also there's apparently no evidence that it's good for dyslexia. the major American association notes that some people might find it helpful but that they don't recommend it as a general thing.

https://www.tes.com/magazine/teaching-learning/general/does-comic-sans-really-help-dyslexic-learners

the really exciting people are the ones who get huffy because comic sans was specifically designed for dyslexia (it was not)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

A.o.D. posted:

Duh, it was designed to make Jerkcity possible.

worth it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
from randomwaffle:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I received my cookbook with a quickness. it features a tiny drawing of Philippe hoping I don't injure myself. I am thankful for this book.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

why, it was there in front of our very faces

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm vaguely remembering him talking in an interview once about feeling as though he had to continue living in Silicon Valley and burning through $100,000 a year in rent just to barely be housed

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Never learned where it was coming from but a completely standard "music you can play in a store" playlist from whoever sells those.

my grandfather's office started piping in Muzak at some point. one of the songs on one of the loops was an elevator cover of "Born to Be Wild" and his coworker would reach up and shut off his speaker for 3 minutes every time it came on.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I remember an interview with Flavor where he said something like "even when I was stealing cars everybody in the neighborhood knew me as the kid who could play 16 instruments."

he didn't get booted booted but he refused to do a benefit for iirc Bernie (Chuck said FF never did anything for free) and got a temporary boot.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

this, but the Catholic/Australian H

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
melan chollie

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the upvote: crass, transactional, gamified

the empty quote: sophisticated, reiterative (all can enjoy again)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Teodor is eternally the schlemiel and the schlimazel.

and yet also the hassenpfeffer

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there's an old interview where Onstead says that someone on his way out of a signing turned at the last minute and said "you're Teodor, right?" and he gave him a thumbs-up without thinking about it and at that moment realized that that dude was correct but

I feel as though this story perhaps mythologizes what O knew already.

but but dude generally seems like a reliable narrator. regardless, he's claimed that Teodor is his self-insert, however many facets might be [etc]

edit: not to say this is some kind of 1:1 with his morality or anything even

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
looking at the words in just these couple strips:

cranchety: looks like a nonce* portmanteau of cranky and crotchety. someone put it on UrbanDictionary, but that means nothing

rannygazoo: a Wodehouse word, adapted from one of those weird americanisms from late 19th c (orig meaning "overblown news")

muttershanks: doesn't mean anything, but drat if it's not clear anyway. best guess is that it's a riff on widdershins, but that's still a guess

fannel-cocking: banner-valve. doesn't really mean anything, as far as I can tell.

hurkity: variation on herky (I assume)

scaphism: a really gross method of execution. the victim is pinned in one boat under another and force-fed milk and honey. also lotioned up with it. then they leave him in the sun.

thank you for joining me on this Journey of Words

*not that kind

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phy posted:

Internet people of a certain age will have encountered "rannygazoo" in the hit weirdo song and video "Frontier Pharmacist", aka "That boy needs therapy"

I know this song but clearly have not listened with care

robot roll call posted:

Mr. Bear definitely got flanderized there but I think Beef's stuff is fine. Absolutely in character for him to toss out some made up words that convey his tone

oh, I should have phrased it differently. it feels as though they all definitely mean something in the comic, even if they're not "real"

cranchity and hurkity I could just work into conversation and everybody would get it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the parts of High School that are bad are bad. there's still some funny stuff in there.

Ray drying out isn't terrible, but I get why people find it terrible

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Rough Chuckles

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I posit that "mittelschmerz-inducing clyster" in on par with "pot roast in estrus"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
(speaking of clicking on a link someone posted and then reading several years' worth of strips)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phy posted:

As an aside the internet delivered to me a png so finely calibrated to my tastes it's a wonder I ain't commission it. I give you David Thorpe Roasting Docevil's Wack rear end Shoes, as performed by Ray And Beef:

jesus wept

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm listening to the Rude Tales of Magic Patreon, where they do behind the scenes discussion for their live play D&D podcast.

in one episode they talk a (very) little about a Great Outdoor Fight reference in one show and also how important Achewood is to most of the cast, since a lot of them are artists.

but mostly I wanted to complain about trying to navigate to older posts. the Patreon app is dogshit.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

moot the hopple posted:

Do they maybe give you an RSS feed link? A lot of podcasts go that route so you can listen on whatever podcast app of your choice. I try to avoid the Patreon app as much as possible.

the regular podcast is free in all the usual places. I'll double check to see if there's a Patreon feed.

I've been holding off on subscribing to the new Achewood but this is a good reminder to do it sooner rather than later...

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
dog penis medicine. that strip is the cartoon pilot.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dunny posted:

That's one I always assumed you had to know the culture to understand. She was faster filling the washing machines/dryers? I don't quite get it.

she filled and started one dryer then filled and started the second dryer within 30 seconds of the first, but she normally takes a full minute to fill the second dryer

she is moving faster bc she's on meth

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I always thought she was just faster because she was faster, and it was mostly to highlight how inane the stuff that Beef has to occupy himself with really is, because there's nothing else to do there. Like how he's probably read that Mary Kay poster ten times that day alone.

the mouseover joke is "Corliss was faster for all the wrong reasons." it could be that she was getting out in a hurry to hustle in another sense of the word but something's up. I just figured meth from the later arrest (and also Circumstances)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

also the last panel of that strip has "and and" at the end, then the beginning of a line in the last panel, and once you know this you can never not see it

aww dang

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
lol @ Philippe

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Angry_Ed posted:

I was personally thinking the Dec. 18, 2008 comic, specifically the first "selected scene"

weird sync with 28 May 2002

https://achewood.com/2002/05/23/title.html

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
whoever (compiled and?) linked the comic/blog things, thank you. I've never read the blogs along with the comics and holy loving poo poo it's like reading the whole thing again for the first time

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dunny posted:

2004 was one hell of a year, wasn't it? :)

it is staggering

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
reading Onstead's blog about golf, 9 Aug 06:

"Like most golfers, my extreme emotional problems lead me to swing too hard at the ball. In my case, this leads to a strong slice (when a struck ball shoots out, then curves off to the right). At one point, perhaps around age fifteen, I'd hit a wall in working on this problem, and my dad, sick of watching me not listen to anything he was saying, decided to buy me a lesson with the "pro" one day. It should have been telling that on the clubhouse price board, a half­hour lesson was the same price as a gin & tonic."

then immediately after it is the comic where Pat comes out:

"And, from the chrysalis, emerged...the caterpillar. [SFX - the sharp, short bleat of a cornet]"

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 29, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
heard Branson Reese use it last night during a live RPG show

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
whenever someone is looking for an instruction set here? I am standing in it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I use "scholar's note:" more often than anyone really has need

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
horse dogg maniac. I have called several people horse dogg maniac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
concept seems onsteadian: