Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

withak posted:

I want an anniversary pint glass but can't find $35 worth of stuff that I don't already have and can rationalize buying. :(

drat, 35. I've been thinking of getting the zines, but that's only 30. Maybe I'll spring for the apron or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
Is that a reference to one of my favorite Achewood strips in today's Dr. McNinja?

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
Another reference to aglets. That's the second time in five years. How many times can you go to the well, Onstad?

Panic! at the Fist Jab posted:

Personally, I think it's great that the characters have a persistence. They have depth, character, personalities we can relate to. But even when their lives are changed drastically (Bensington Butters and Ray finding Lonis Edison), those things don't seem to persist. Ray comes back not much more changed for the experience, and we never hear from Butters again. On the flip side, Chris should feel free to alter the state of the characters and have it *not* be a big deal. Perhaps Lyle manages to scrape enough cash together to move out, but nothing drastic happens because of it.

I think this is one criticism I can get behind. It made a special kind of sense when Pat emerged from his coming out more or less unchanged, but I was surprised at how little Ray was changed after the GOF. I didn't expect him to turn into his father, but he still seems like A Guy You Don't Want to Have Lost a Fight To. And he's still desperately seeking Rodney's approval, even after winning the fight and burning the acres to the ground.

I guess one possible answer is that this is just something about the character: even though he's super-successful and popular, for some reason he's also fairly insecure. Look at the progression of his love life: he got all kinds of rear end in high school, did a chick while smoking a cigarette, and once got his bone on six times in one weekend. Yet these days he's resorting to hiring hookers, calling sex lines, and posing as a Saudi prince to hook up with his ex-girlfriend. Meanwhile, his depressed friend and octogenarian friend are both in relationships with hot women. I'd love to see more discussion of how Ray lost his mojo after being the coolest kid in school.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

Man, I would totally make this my avatar if I hadn't already named myself after another Achewood character.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
I was beginning to wonder whether we would indeed see Sidney Yamahata again.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
:siren: Holy Daikon Root, Batman! :siren:

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

Jago posted:

OOHHHH KABOOM!!!

Has the fan subscription thing not been delivering either? I'm getting hungry for some quality poo poo.

It feels like output on the fanflow has been reduced a bit. I actually let my subscription lapse at the end of last month when I realized there'd only been one substantial update in the last two weeks. I'm sure I'll renew as soon as there's a new Nice Pete story or other long-form update. What I'd really like to see on the fanflow is for the blogs to start updating again on a semi-regular basis.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
I just noticed that the two options for chili are "chicken" and "mild."

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
You need one wing or more to execute a class-six landing. Everybody knows this.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
Every time I read one of these long-form fanflows I find myself wishing there would be an Achewood TV series, even though I'm not sure if it would translate.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
Holy poo poo, I did not see that last panel coming. This could be a thing.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
I have a feeling teodor is going to spend all day sitting on his bed, playing old Smiths songs.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
HUUUUUGS!

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

Warm Body posted:

It kind of worries me that Phillipe is five. Other permanent five-year-olds haven't fared too well in fiction. :ohdear:

Whoa, is this the origin of the "Phillippe is five" refrain?

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
I don't know, that Reader's Digest looks like it would be right up Philippe's alley.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
How you doing back there Darin? Good? Good.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

Rodney the Piper posted:

Just noticed that Teodor's junk is always covered. Clearly, the stuffed bear's genitals are to Onstad as feet are to Rob Liefeld.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01252002

:nws: for rock hard stuffed bear cock

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

Dove from Above posted:

I suspect this is one of those neighbourhoods that Beef blogged about walking through late at night to keep himself grounded.

Seriously, where the hell did Nice Pete drive? Isn't Achewood in Southern California? Are there really neighborhoods there where people talk like that?

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
If they're willing to commit an hour or two to reading a few months' worth of Achewood, I would start them on Ray getting the piano and the subsequent road trip. Lot of funny strips, and it sets the direction going forward by really developing the Ray and Beef relationship. And the months following that arc also have a lot of great stuff, like the Oregon Trail emulator, the introduction of Molly and Nice Pete, and gently caress Algebra.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
If this is the first Achewood strip you've ever read, you're going to have some questions.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

Also notice the puckered anus of a mouth. I like this opportunity to see into the mind of Nice Pete, complete with first-person perspective. Were I a lesser man, I may not be able to sleep.

Wow, I didn't even realize that was an anus until you said it. So is that... Blood? poo poo? The mind reels.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
...or do you agree that it is okay

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
:siren: New strip! :siren:

WHAT WILL BECOME OF TEODOR? IS HE DEFINITELY GOING TO DIE?

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

OBAMA ACKBAR posted:

For some reason it gets under my skin a lot worse than most horror movies I've seen.

Because you care about the character in peril?

Also, whatever happened to "he got southern ways and would never Take you after that high gesture"? Figured that would apply to T as well as Ray.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

reach42 posted:

well he kinda did, he didn't follow Ray's suggestion of killing him after the dicer stabbed him.

Exactly, I figured Beef, Ray and T all achieved "don't get killed by pete" status with their act of mercy.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
Might as well, T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
RAY'S PLACE IS COMING BACK!