Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

And there is life for you in retaliation, O men of understanding, that you may guard yourselves
magical realism again oh boy well you can tell onstad isn't a farmer because he's not giving the soil a break that's for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

And there is life for you in retaliation, O men of understanding, that you may guard yourselves

vonnegutt posted:

shut your stupid face, I would read an achewood spinoff of magical realism until he got bored of making it.
seriously i love them so loving much.

yeah i'm really looking forward to the same routine for about two months or three if the dude feels like updating just like that cartilage head snorefest a couple weeks ago, except with about 3/4 panels full of needless explanation about how teodor's cranky or some chris ware stylized flowchart that's just absolutely redundant considering it's the same drat thing he published for the last three years.

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

hey onstad why don't you have the teddybears thrown hopelessly into tarkovsky movies and only through the power of todd doing a wheely through 35mm can they make it back to being incredible assholes in the present also throw molly in there being an incredible bitch seeing as that's one of two female characters you can manage to write (the other being a feudal era doting mother who, unthinkably, is also an incredible bitch)

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

moan all you want you should thank christ this dude is self published

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

Muffin Loaf posted:

Don't get me wrong. I'm just as sick of "How could that happen?? What's going on!? Oh no it's... *MAGICAL REALISM* (drum crash, studio audience cheers)." Achewood has been on a steady decline for at least a year or two, and it bothers me a lot because I love how the strip used to be. I think it has a lot to do with taking magical realism and turning it from a once-or-twice out of the blue artsy interlude to a recurring yuk-yuk gag, and analogous changes to other formerly strong elements.

You've just got a confusing way of trolling about it. Why should I be thankful he's self-published? What would be worse if he weren't?

no, for real, this aint a troll.

i'm saying that his sporadic updates, his repetitive themes, his tendency to experiment and for the most part overindulge with dialogue would be disastrous from any publishers perspective if he didn't have such an established fanbase and critical acclaim from the first couple of years. I can't see why anyone who just discovered achewood over the last two years would stick around based on the merit of the last two years of strips. it's a godsend that the entire archive is free, so new fans can easily access the entire material without spending a lot of dough which wouldn't exist if he was published from a major distributor from the start, hence why this dude should looooooove self-publishing and you all should too.

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

hahaha boy i sure do post in lf respond to my legitimate criticism or stfu

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

Your arguement is "I don't like Achewood" so I guess I should retort with "I like Achewood". Suck on that.

if you read a word of what i posted instead of skimming through it's kind of obvious i read achewood pretty regularly.

speaking of skimming i'm guessing you read achewood much like most people read dostoyevsky in freshmen year on the subway

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

yeah because i read something i hate just to yell at people because i am literally a loving volcano

shut
the
gently caress
up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

King Nothing posted:

Yes it is.

hahaha nope deal with it

first of all this doesn't exclude him from legitimate criticism whether he takes it or not, and second of all George R.R. Martin????? loving lol it was bad enough you linked notorious childrens author neil gaiman

quote:

You don't like what makes Achewood good. That's fine, but why come in here and tell us about it?

because the author checks in from time to time in this very thread and can take criticism however he likes, but just slobbering at his feet for scraps off the table isn't going to help anybody and it makes you look like a loving idiot

quote:

The most recent anthology, a New York Times bestseller, is published by Dark Horse Comics so I'm not sure what you're on about. It's somehow wrong for a webcomic to gain a huge following by...self publishing on the internet? I can't actually tell what your point is.

my whole point is on quality, not self publishing, and a bestseller from a loyal fanbase doesn't mean poo poo other than a whole lot of fans are willing to shill out an extra couple of bucks to put it on their mantles.

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

King Nothing posted:

The most recent anthology, a New York Times bestseller, is published by Dark Horse Comics so I'm not sure what you're on about. It's somehow wrong for a webcomic author to gain a huge following and make money by...self publishing on the internet, and then self-publishing books/merch to make money and support his family until it takes off and is picked up and marketed by a major publisher? I can't actually tell what your point is, but it sounds like you're mixing the patently obvious with your personal (different from 99% of the people in here) opinions in an attempt to sound smart.

jesus gently caress read my loving post three times, talk to a friend, and then come back and realize I'm talking about quality and how it's simply opportunistic he self published from the start

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

here i'll tell it to you on terms you can understand

King Nothing you are a bad poster!
You....are...bad!

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

So the WRONG people are buying it?

Your argument seems to boil down to,"I don't like Achewood the way it is currently written" and suggests that anyone who shares a different opinion is either wrong or deliberately lying in order to "slobber" for an affectionate pat on the head from Onstad.

There have been TWO storyarcs incorporating Mexican Magical Realism, and a few jokey asides here and there. You also accuse him of going to the well too often in the same sentence as you accuse him of being "too experimental". The "sporadic" updates you complain about are larger and more complex than earlier strips. Not to mention, this is all still being provided free to us, not self published (which to me at least indicates something is being self-made and then self-sold) at a time when all signs indicate that Onstad is busier than normal putting together things to be actually published by a real publisher. Finally, a bestseller IS a bestseller, regardless of why or who is buying it.

None of these things in any way mean you SHOULD like Achewood, but just because you don't, doesn't make everyone else wrong. It just means you don't like it, not that it isn't any good, which it demonstrably is.

My argument is actually what I posted a page ago, and if you weren't so quick to raise arms for you're pathetic club you'd realize there's nothing untrue to what I said: achewood has become repetitive, overindulgent, and boring. Onstads late updating is annoying and unprofessional but can't be a major concern considering the medium, however the overall quality is not exempt and anyone who can't admit to themselves that achewood hasn't fallen off lately is...well...kind of weird.

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

it is AMAZING how you all assume I hate achewood because I offer criticism instead of talking about how i want to gently caress teodor for being so right all the time

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

Jack Bandit posted:

Oh man I logged on and saw 20 new posts and thought some interesting discussion was going on

don't loving count on it

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

Spillane posted:

it is AMAZING how you all assume I hate achewood because I offer criticism instead of talking about how i want to gently caress teodor for being so right all the time

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

BitterAvatar posted:

Maybe we can all agree that we all have opinions on things and that this is the stupidest loving argument ever?

it really is but that's because the only one who offered any semblance of discussion to what I said was Muffin Loaf the rest of you are just sputtering about how 10000 people who like something must be right so therefore gently caress right off smuglook yeah

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

you probably haven't seen me because i don't yell about how banging lenin would be tops all the time

though it would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spillane
Sep 22, 2009

glug posted:

Honestly, the point isn't that you are wrong. The point is.. what the gently caress is your point?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :mad:

Oh yo Onstad you should do three months of just molly like molly doing the dishes or molly working at starbucks or molly going to the mall but it turns out the dress is an axis mundi into the time world where she can shop for clothes in 16th century wales, it really doesn't matter how you do it more molly though please.