Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

withak posted:

Does North Korea even export any consumer products to the US?
You scrape off that Made in China sticker and all you get is Dear Leader's Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
If Jack Daniels makes you anything other than the man with abilities in his pants, I don't want to know you.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Also Post on SA Forums isn't a loop, it's more like a deep deep well.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ZorbaTHut posted:

Goddamn, now I kind of want some prosciutto.

You see what you did to me, Onstad? I was clean, drat you
No one ever quits prosciutto, they just take breaks.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dove from Above posted:

I still love the strip where he is not afraid of the loving police - and the callback to it months or years later that's actually in character.
What was the callback? I remember tequila getting him all not afraid of the po-lice, but not the callback.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Either Beef is out of character, or Showbiz got a haircut.

Which for him I guess would be out of character as well.
Showbiz would have an Alpine tattoo crossed out with a Blaupunkt tattoo under it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dove from Above posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06242004
If you drink Pimm's, you will still be a little bit afraid of the police.
Thanks!

The things people say when affected by the drink.

KISS MY rear end, BITCH! I'LL BE AT DUANE'S!"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Like Wii Sports Resort only it's Ray's Backyard. Hold the Wiimote up to your mouth to smoke a blunt. Press A to grill the steak. Hold B to enjoy a good time with friends.
Connect a nunchuck to suck at pool, connect a classic controller to school fools at pool.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fillerbunny posted:

Onstad spaced it that way deliberately! Onstad! :doom:
( R-A-I-D-E-R-S )
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07122005

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is this the end of Philippe, and in turn our innocence? :ohdear:
Don't worry. Whenever you feel down or the world has worn you weary, remember this:

Phillipe is five. :unsmith:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

glug posted:

The dude is a professional, or the reincarnation of Phillipe's dad. That's all.
He has been preparing for 24 hours, probably more knowing Steve.

Says so in the previous strip.

And he doesn't look very ottery to me.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 6, 2010

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

McGravin posted:

I think it's coincidental. The whole "Philippe. He is Five." thing pretty much started with this strip, if I'm not mistaken.
He's also had a birthday where he turned 5, and a birthday where he turned five.

And I don't feel like looking them up but dammit he's five and that's it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

trevalyan posted:

Man, now I really want to read some of his Yelp reviews. The one Todd got were priceless. Nice arc, Onstad. Do goons get a discount at your store?
Where did Todd get a review?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Daytime Dan always has neat ideas... :gonk:

No wonder the second book is taking longer, he's resorting to furtive reconnaissance of George Lopez.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

HitTheTargets posted:

Oh that reminds me: I have to buy some terlet pepper termerrow.
Do some drugs, that way you'll remember due to all them active pathways.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dove from Above posted:

I fear that they're going to be consumed by the flames, just two more victims of Nice Pete's high school tomfoolery. Even when Nice Pete is just having innocent prankish fun, people die horribly. It is the nature of the beast.
The difference is this time he's not wearing just a tank top and tube socks.

At least I hope he's wearing more :ohdear:

Teodor...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CannonFodder posted:

The difference is this time he's not wearing just a tank top and tube socks.

At least I hope he's wearing more :ohdear:

Teodor...
He's not wearing anything more than the tank top :gonk:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RandomFerret posted:

I like the garage sale. It's a relatable situation involving two of the main characters, it's only one page, and you get a sense of the writing style with the different dialects going on.

The dialects are the best part of Achewood to me. The way each character is defined by not just what they say, but how they say it. It reminds me of Pogo, and that is never a bad thing.
Phillipe and the Brown Couch is good for dialects, because it has Emeril and the denizens of the transfer station.

Hell, it even starts out with Vlad. "Now, we drink! We feast! We spit on the face of death for another day! BAH!"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I went and read that story arc (edit: T spares Pete near the end of Mister Band), and now I want some moussaka. All with that sauce.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 26, 2010

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I didn't know what "wanted to hang a larry but flipped a bitch" meant. :(

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

McGravin posted:

The strip NMN is referring to is here.
Even the skull on Lyle's shirt is shocked!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ola posted:

One late evening when I was really tired I suddenly realized the dialogue could be translated meows.
And that made me think of this:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07282004

Even the alt text confirms it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Revol posted:

At first I thought 'fece' was his face, because I was compensating so heavily for the way they speak.
Same here, I thought he had a fake face because he lost his in the war.

Nice Pete's stare... :ohdear:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Can one of you guys explain the alt text for dumb ole me? I've seen Citizen Kane but it's been over 10 years and gently caress if I remember it all.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lurdiak posted:

Kane finds the half-finished diss critique of his wife's opera that his old friend and employee wrote, along with his passed-out drunk old friend. Because of the stubborness of his character and the way he clings to principles even well after he loses any real sense of idealism, he finishes the review "in the spirit it was intended" to prove a point, then coldly fires his friend, and they never speak again. That sequence of events would probably have been hard to make into a 2-panel joke, though.
Thanks, that explained a lot.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Howard Beale posted:

Aw, but the Playboy Advisor has been so helpful to our animal friends over the years. Except Roast Beef.

(That small series of Advisor strips has always been one of my favorites.)
It also shows up here so either Ray is a slave to the Advisor or he IS the Advisor and sometimes gives guff about no ice.

And the first cookbook has a recipe for Diamond Juice which is Ketel 1 with zest. Ray loves his Ketel 1.

and I'm using the numeral to piss people off

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Remember when Onstad presented a fried chicken recipe as narrated by Nice Pete? This one?

Trip report: It's pretty awesome. Granted, I didn't get the color to the perfect George Lopez level, but there was caramelized skin and juicy flesh and a wonderful smell while it all took place. I paired it with penne pasta with walnut dressing and some down home green beans, and a tall glass of water.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Capsaicin posted:

A guy on Mythbusters was just wearing a Dude and Catastrophe shirt.

That has to be a much bigger deal than some TIME award, huh?
Do you remember what the myth was?

Or a screencap. That would suffice.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Umm, the arc is finished, High School is OVER.

Sure, there's no closure, but that van is on it's way to David Lynch's house.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ProfZoom posted:

So to anyone who has made the beercan chicken recipe, a question: Would using a smaller bird complicate things?
I just made this today, and I would say use a taller can, anything 20 ounces. I used a 12 ounce can and it barely stayed upright, and I had to stand it back up at one point. As long as the can fits the hole (and the hole can be expanded with a quick knife cut) it's good to go.

It's an easy way to make good chicken.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dominion posted:

Nah he's living on that sweet cookbook money.
I came back into this thread just to say that I'm making Onstad's fried chicken recipe and I still make several stuff from the cookbook. And at this point I'm glad I didn't pre-order the second one.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I love Spaghetti's Dad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cloks posted:

I'll always find Ray's fetish hilarious.

It got him in trouble, with the Queen!
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09072004

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Maybe we should all just stop talkinga bout his update schedule and bask in the glory of a pretty decent comic?

I appreciated finding out that boiled nonsense is a far more horrifying and less silly concept than i thought
I can't remember where 'boiled nonsense' comes from. It sounds like an Achewood thing but it doesn't come up in the strip search.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I guess I just suck at reading :downs:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I would no lie spend many American Dollars on a bottle of Achewater.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

High Lord Elbow posted:

My great-grandfather wore a Dead Kennedys shirt when he lay with his future beloved Eunice for the first time after the Great War.
Was he listening to Blood Beagle?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Howard Beale posted:

For all this fussing nobody's pointed out the comma splice in the alt-text yet?
Oh Achewood, we hardly knew you, etc. etc. etc.

Phones don't really do the alt text thing, or I just don't know how to make it work.

The comic was ok but the blogs were spot on.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Darth Windu posted:

"I tell you what I ain't nobody's picnic" is probably the one line I quote from this comic irl
"You can do whatever you want in life" is a go-to phrase of mine. I'm the only person thinking of Hot Tub Brawls at the time though. Probably.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RandomFerret posted:

I really like the idea of Ray's friday night parties. I like to think that if I had any amount of money at all that's the kind of thing I would do with it. I guess in real life it would get old pretty fast.
It fits the theme of music mogul. The parties happen on time with an ocean of gin, but the memorable parties involve a tank of perfect blue water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Roland Jones posted:

The perfect summation of what people are talking about with Teodor is his panel in this strip. Everyone else is facing some sort of existential horror, while Teodor will... Never be in a band. (He was almost in Mister Band, on a tangent, but he was probably lucky to avoid that fate.)

Also, "DRACULA DON'T GOT MUCH MONEY THIS WEEK MWWWAH-HA-HA" is a great line.

Where is that capo? 8th fret? 10th?

Crane Fist posted:

I figure it's more RB is who we feel like, Teodor is how we act
http://achewood.com/index.php/index.php?date=01072010

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 11, 2016