Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
God, the flowcharts. So much of what makes Achewood great is in the pacing -- all Todd all the time would get old, all flowcharts would get old, even all Nice Pete would get old. But Onstad just measures them out like a goddamn wizard of humor titration, pipetting out nanolitres of le mot juste into our expectant veins.

There comes a time when words fail and only the wadding up and hurling of currency will suffice. Off to the Achewood Store I go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

King Nothing posted:

You're one of those picks-up-the-mouse-between-pushes types, aren't you.

He's right though. Nothing's nose looks like a 1025 in a box.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

McGravin posted:

That's as cool as my friend's kid who, at age 5, knew the correct answer to "Who is the best Green Lantern?" (Hal Jordan)

That's the worst typo for 'John Stewart' I've ever seen.

edit: late for the derail, going to the BN thread now

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Guys did you know there is a :siren: new strip :siren:

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

McGravin posted:

"Butt pee".

"Sinner's rear end," to use an Achewood-introduced term.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
I will proffer the merest taste from the fanflow update, because this fragmentary amuse-bouche has thoroughly earned the money I've spent on the subscription:

BEEF: The world is a system of narrowly-avoided truths.

It never stops being true: Celebration of the loving English language.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Sigma-X posted:

(these are all american dates gently caress you british backwards folks)

You know you can defend the many areas in which the US is superior but I can't back you on calling a date order where the time periods are in order by size, instead of month THEN day THEN year, 'backward'. It's like a clock that reads 54:03pm and then the seconds. It is dumb as hell.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Actually sorry but both date systems are beyond fuckin' lame. YYYY-MM-DD 4 lyfe

As long as the time periods are sorted by size, I got no beef with your heterodox ways, even if it obviously makes sense to put the most time-sensitive information first (PROTIP: The year changes a lot less often than the day, google it). We can all agree that putting the month first, then the day, then the year, is the act of a mind unbalanced by febrile monsoon-breezes.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

ManiacClown posted:

Do we know why Philippe lives with the original Achewood crew instead of his mother?

This is addressed to some extent in Achewood Book 2's text sections.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
:siren: New Strip :siren:

:ohdear:

Onstad why do you hate the obviously superior cola beverage

edit: my desire to upbraid the authorial diktat has led to being beaten :(:

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Cats can be assholes in the same ways and for the same reasons people can be assholes: one part natural inclination, four parts bad upbringing.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Thicker, stronger elastic.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Technique posted:

Am i the only one who finds this entire story arc to just feel really forced and melodramatic? To be honest, i don't think any of the "drama" arcs have been very good, though. But i just don't see how this is so darn depressing.

(disclaimer: i love achewood!! i just dont love the drama)

You might just not like drama in general.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Expiration Date posted:

rse off in California they have no Waffle House, or Steak N Shake. The only options are loving godawful Jack in the Box or Dennys I think. I've found it best to just go home when it's late and forget trying to find anything worth going to when you're drunk.

There's Carrows, which is sort of like Denny's non-union Mexican equivalent, to steal a phrase. But if you're ordering anything at Jack in the Box that isn't the real-ice cream Oreo shakes, something has gone terribly awry. Actually, if you order that thing something has already gone terribly awry with your weight management, or you're Rod Huggins and there's a shoot coming up.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Dove from Above posted:

What arrived with my grilled cheese was so off-target it's hard to describe. You know how crinkle-cut fries have ridges running latitudinally across the width of each fry? These had longitudinal ridges, running along their length. (Yes that was redundant, I am just trying to be clear.) Otherwise they were completely ordinary and somewhat dry fries/hot chips.
Let me just say, if I were another kind of person, and if it wasn't a special occasion for my sister, someone might have been Taken.

This is the new Saddest Thing. It is in every way an antipodean replica of the Mickey Mouse pancake Teodor makes for Philippe. :smith:

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Nice Pete is like an ogre from a fairy tale, terrifying and invincible but with sudden, unexpected weaknesses from weird angles.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Food Chain! Get used to it!

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

King Nothing posted:

Was the writer drunk while typing that? There's so many typos and also:

The hell does that even mean?

Journalism is dead, the typos are just gas escaping the corpse.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Those are Sicilians.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Sigma-X posted:

alt text is great, especially because I love the gently caress out of Citizen Kane and that bugged the poo poo out of me the second it happened in the strip.

Someone actually liked Citizen Kane? Why? I watched it just for cultural literacy's sake at home one day and was just bored for 3 hours. "An rear end in a top hat lives, is an rear end in a top hat, dies." Please explain what I was missing?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Happy Hippo posted:

A film that appeared like lightning out of a clear blue sky that created many technical and structural devices that are still in common use today.

Yeah, I can definitely appreciate the technological innovations of it, and for a serious film-nerd I can see it being of great historical interest. But it wasn't very interesting as a story, is what I'm saying. The Jim Corrigan comics have wild visual flair and fascinating games with layout are played, but the stories all boil down to 'a guy is depressed and then bad things happen,' which is why all the technical innovation doesn't create a lasting interest -- it's more the equivalent of a tech demo than an actual game, to draw a videogame analogy.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

GigaPeon posted:

So it was basically Avatar?

"An impressive suite of new techniques in the service of a crappy story" applies pretty well to both, so yes.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
This reminds me that 'placid afternoons of unhurried buggery' was my 'I am not at work but available to chat' IM status for quite a while. Might be time to take it out for another spin.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Dodgeball posted:

It also forces your refrigerator to work overtime to return the internal temperature to normal, causing a waste of electricity.

"Making things cold" is exactly the job I want my refrigerator to do, though, so it's about as much a 'waste' of electricity as running my microwave to heat something up is.

420 put hot things in the fridge every day, I need the drat counter space

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
:siren: YOU GUYS :siren:

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
drat you, Seat Safety Switch.

So, is this sequence of side-story strips more or less officially saying 'I'm not finishing off the story arc'? Because I can make my peace with that if I have to, I just feel uncomfortable every time there's a new strip and it affords no closure, replacing narrative continuity with a series of narrative continuances, if you will.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
That was actually John Turturro in Barton Fink

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Dark Chicken posted:

I thought it was called wifebeater for the same reason why certain shirts are called wifebeater: A Streetcar Named Desire.

You're presuming a lot more literacy from chavs than I think is actually present.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Yeah let's not talk about breaking copyright owned by a guy who literally took the money and ran maybe he'll come after us in internet court

Do what you like, guy, it's your :tenbux:

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

No, and you should do this.

I already did this.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Dodgeball posted:

You're supposed to use chicken stock to deglaze the pan and to provide a base for the sauce that you pour onto the steak once you cook some mushrooms in it.

I don't think anyone is shocked at that, only at the idea that dilute Worcestershire is in any way a substitute for chicken stock.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
People pre-ordered Achewood Cookbook II. Such a creature has yet to appear. The money has not been returned.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
I'm a little vague on how 'here is a cock, you can suck it if you want' is rape, as opposed to a gross and heavy-handed invitation, but I'm willing to be educated.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Dodgeball posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what Beef is doing with the Scrabble board in the first few panels? Is it another language, or just gibberish?

Um, neither? Those are all real English words and legit Scrabble plays.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Feedly is a thing that exists.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Jet Jaguar posted:

Japan Man same as Santa Claus, but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

Wandering around the archives, I found this gem where poor ol' Roast Beef gets dragged into a Boring place.

"Support euthanasia for dudes who have been brought to the yarn shop" is a phrase in common currency in my household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Previa_fun posted:

To be honest on my first read of the new comic I had confused Penny with Polly and wondered what had made her fall so far.

It wasn't until I saw posts about Teodor and the Party Arc that I remembered Penny at all; I too was thinking of Polly.