Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I'm sure I missed it upthread, but I just read a little interview in a blog called The Believer, dude got divorced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

It's a hard hitter today, that's for sure.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

One of my buds ordered the What We Need More Of Is Science hoodie a long time ago and got a few stickers thrown in, one of which was Keith Moon’s head.

He gave it to me, since I’m gonzo for The Who, and you better believe that sticker lived on my car until the wheels fell off.

“Delighted expression!”

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Everyone is absolutely spot on about the Beef At The Laundromat strip. Onstad is so good at using things in these strips.

The thing that’s always driven me nuts about that strip though, is this: I live in Minneapolis, and Edina is a suburb, which does have 952 as the area code. Except we didn’t get 952 as an area code until I was in high school, the internet tells me the year 2000. It doesn’t parse with a young 1980’s Beef. In all seriousness though who gives a gently caress? Why would Onstad give a poo poo about Minnesotan area code minutiae? I just love that it’s something I DISCOVERED. ON MY OWN.

Also we don’t really have any Bank Of America’s up here either. But if we did, they’d probably be in Edina anyways, buncha cake eaters over there.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Does anybody else’s cookbook have a drawing in it?

Mine has Ray in a chef’s hat accidentally drawn on Beef’s body.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Nessus posted:

I have made Teodors flavorburgers to mild acclaim.

Same here. I don’t follow the recipe exact anymore, but I never ever ever make burgers without mustard and cheese mixed into the beef.

And the thing about thin burgers being better? Absolutely true.

Also, before I got sober I enjoyed a half bottle of diamond juice every day.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

CannonFodder posted:

Mine has Ray telling me to drink alcohol

Awww yeah. Here we go.

Tall Tale Teller fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 11, 2019

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Stringent posted:

Ah yeah, "ankle drunk" is one I've used quite a bit irl.

Stiff coal is mine.

I think about that phrase a lot.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I named my iPod GIN OCEAN. Back when an iPod was a thing.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

CannonFodder posted:

Keith Moon's head from 2006 is a pretty direct lift from the Zombie Survival Guide published in 2003.

What? There is absolutely no Keith Moon in that book.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Pastry of the Year posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08302013

This one is pretty dark until you read the alt-text, and then it's extremely dark.

I've been sober for five years but this is absolutely the last month before I went to rehab.

Alcoholism is real lovely my droogs.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

SAUSAGE LASSO

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

In my life a utility kilt is a sure sign of an attention person.

They want it, I'm not gonna give it. Please let me buy my onions in peace.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Kaboobi posted:

A personal note: This book was originally intended for release in 2010, but the whisker's width of a near-fatal ending to the "drinking chapter" of my life led to its agonizing and haunting postponement. Its appearance here, and at this level of quality, is a deeply healing personal victory. If you were disappointed by the slow-motion crash-and-burn of the first attempted release, I sincerely apologize. But you will like this version much, much better, as I no longer use vodka to move my pen around

Hey this is loving great. I'm in recovery too, and it's awesome he can write that and view it as catharsis.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Sass gut is absolutely a phrase in my life.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

One of my favorite achewood arcs culminating in Ray asking for pants on a peach.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Teodor always struck me as the most inserted of the self insert characters.

There's lots of Onstad in everyone in the strip but Teodor always seemed the most grounded in reality to me. It's sorta hard to explain but if Beef is one end of Onstad's emotions, and Ray is the manic opposite than Teodor is kinda the hapless fuckup middle zone that men of a certain age and background wallow in

Also as an alcoholic in recovery, the description of Teodor's bender and shutdown in Cookbook 2 is 100% a thing that Onstad did. Between that and Ray's bottoming out in the Pho parking lot I saw a lot of similarities in my Real Life poo poo.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The Charlie Brown story is good too.

But that new website is dogshit. It seems like every page click brings me to a random achewood, which I guess is fine but how am I supposed to read it sequentially again?

I love the alt text at the bottom now though!

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

It's crazy that people got mad about what is basically a toy.

I think its neat that a fake Ray can answer a dumb question, and it sorta basically sounds like if Onstad was writing it.

I wonder if everyone was this loving cranky when the eggs and milk minder was up? I hope they knew it was a dang joke too. For laffs.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I named my old ipod Gin Ocean back in 2008.

I didn't realize until recently that Gin Ocean is not an anagram of Ignorance.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Zefiel posted:

He puts an ounce in a ziploc, I pay and still have enough for a large coke and Lesotho. My fiesta name is "pendeja"

I always wondered what Lesotho was in that context. Yes. I know it's a South African city, but is it booze or something? Beef isn't really a drinking guy unless it's Stella or that one time Jack Daniel's tucked him in and was his breakfast.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've remarked to a friend how only two comic strips have lodged themselves in their near-entirety into my head, Bloom County and Achewood. For some reason I have ridiculous recall for both but not any other strip, no matter how much I loved it.

My dad had Bloom County Babylon while I was growing up in the 80's and it helped me teach myself to read.

Achewood is very similarly formative for me except I was in my 20's and it didn't help me read but did give me the concept of "from circumstances" and death being the only game in town.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

"From eminent non-activist and socially harmed man Roast Beef Kazenzakis"

Is this the most perfect thing ever written? Maybe.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I ordered all the GOF prints last winter when they were on sale and got the Kronos Cafe sticker.

I wanted Keith Moon's head, which I had two cars ago after I ordered cookbook 1 in fuckin' 2007.

Edit: I also think about "Sometimes love is wondering if you trapped an innocent person" a lot.

Tall Tale Teller fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 29, 2023

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Scags McDouglas posted:

Not that it's a very controversial prediction but I still see this going really poorly in the end for our guy.

I'm sure it's going to either wreck or reinforce his and Ray's relationship somehow.

Also T's mind going to dirty places is going to play into his taking the fall for some Tina embezzlement shenanigans.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Teodor is eternally the schlemiel and the schlimazel.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

As established during the Badass Games, Teodor continues to fold with a focus and intensity normally seen only in successes.

(I had to look up that one, I thought it was Lyle's description)

Edit:

Potassium Problems posted:

Ray telling Teodor "You folded with a passion and intensity normally reserved for success" is really a great summation of his entire character

HEYOOOOO

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I think I said it before in this thread but every main character in Achewood is a piece of Onstad.

I think Teodor is the closest thing to a self insert in the series, warts and all. Beef is Onstad's depression and mental state, lyle is his freedom and alcoholism, Cornelius is his eloquence and refinement, Ray is Onstad on payday and Phillipe is five.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

ullerrm posted:

The punchline always gets me.

I can't find which strip this is from. Sometimes assetbar is a fucker.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

There's not been a lot of doubt about Onstad and Achewood being FUCKIN' BACK BABY, but if anyone is doubting please read the new strip.

It's great. It's all been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Dude is a noted aficionado.