Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sgs-Cruz posted:

Remember before the 4th-most-recent update (or something like that, I think it was early September or so; one of the Nice Pete / Teodor van ones) the text on the homepage said "I just had an awful experience that allowed me to properly write this comic" or something like that?

Wonder if that has to do with the delays.

Clearly he was raped in a van.

Straight up 70's Van Rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

McGravin posted:

Awesome.

And to think, someone was killed in every one of those vans.

Chilling, just chilling.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think Van Death is a fear built into our genetic memory. Early cavemen were lured to their deaths in proto-vans made out brush, mud, and stones. Ever since, man has instinctively know not to approach a van lightly.

All joking aside, even when I was in elementary school, every kid knew when he a saw a van from the 70s, that somehow it was just plain wrong. The lizard part of our brain just shouted out "No! Van equals death, or a very hurt butthole."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I know, eh. He needs to go back to writing 3-panel jokes that are funny and not trying these huge arcs that are sorta funny and sorta pointless at the same time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Guys, I just heard that Onstad is stripping on a webcam.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

But the real question is, who finished the comic?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SeanBeansShako posted:

Does that also mean he casually wears thongs all the time with sunglasses indoors, projectile vomits on American Footballs and peel out in his Van?

He's also a Special Boy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I can. The whole point of paid sections of sites like these is to give paid subscribers a little something extra every day. I don't think the way to entice new subscribers, and not to annoy those who choose to just get the free stuff, is to produce virtually nothing for the last year and then suddenly pop back in one day and say "Oh hey, paid people get 150 pages of stuff I've been working on.". You free guys can still look forward to maybe 6 strips next year, at best. I already sub so it's no big deal to me, but I'd be rightly pissed off if I wasn't.

Man, what is going on with webcomics lately. Achewood has slowed to a crawl, PVP has become the most namby-pamby "I want to be just like lovely newspaper comics!" strip ever, PBF is gone, Horribleville gone, some other comic I can't even remember is going on something like two years of "The last strip is coming any day now, I swear!".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PhancyPants posted:

I believe you're referring to Bigger than Cheeses

Nah, it's something else. I was just searching for it and I still couldn't find it. All I remember is the main character never wore a shirt and he had long nipples.....

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Happy Hippo posted:

There's a huge difference between nerd-raging that we aren't getting tons of free content and realizing that Onstad doesn't care enough about the fans to offer any sort of an explanation as to why the schedule has slowed to the point of a crawl.

This sort of thing seems common with comics artists for some reason. There's probably been a dozen comics that the creator disappears for 2 years, and then they come back and find it surprising that people were annoyed when they were left hanging that whole time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

McGravin posted:

Ha ha, spousal abuse! Let's make more hilarious jokes! What's next, rape? Chris Onstad is raping us by not giving us webcomics!

It was a loving terrible joke, and nobody should be making it.

Lighten up, Francis.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wonder if this strip appeared because we're slowly heading intro spring and Onsta..., I mean Roast Beef's S.O.S.A.D. is going into it's yearly remission?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How long did that take you?

Catching up on a years worth of Achewood? 2 minutes, give or take.

:iceburn:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dominion posted:

Maybe. He might also just be depressed and have low motivation to really do anything. I've been there, so I get it.

Yeah, if this is the case, he could at least have the balls to just say "gently caress it, I'm done."

He's stringing us along like a girlfriend who cheats on you endlessly simply because she can't man-up and just tell you it's over. Onstad is probably polishing some other comics knob right now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I got bored, so I colored in a strip. I don't know if Onstad has specific colors for each character, but this is always how I saw them:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mr.Roboto posted:

Is Roast Beef from space?

No, he's fanciful.

You big jerk. *sob*

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tenterhooks posted:

Recently I've been trying to learn Illustrator and had the notion to put together an elaborate Achewood parody about Onstad's creative slump as practice. I quickly realised that I'm nowhere near funny enough so just finished off this little sequence and called it quits.

What, are you kidding? That's awesome man! Maybe if you keep it up it'll shame Onstad into working more.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think his entire argument is moot anyways since he takes "donations". As soon as you start earning money for something, money coming out of other peoples pockets, then you should make an effort to get things done and earn that money. I guess he feels his chapbooks are worth the "donations", but if scribbling around in book is worth money, then anyone could get on the web and upload their pointless doodles and get paid for them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone tried to just email Onstand and ask what's up?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dodgeball posted:

We're all bitches, now...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like cheeseburgers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

rotinaj posted:

..... something's up.

It must be his bank account balance, because it's certainly not his sense of shame.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Awesome, we'll be getting one new comic and then Onstad will get depressed again after people don't send him thousands of dollars, and he'll go back to writing for Not-McSweeneys.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dodgeball posted:

Having Roast Beef not be depressed is like having Garfield not like lasagna.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ugh, alt-text for the random comic that popped up was "DONATE".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Javid posted:

I hear Ray as Frylock and Beef as Meatwad.

That's retarded. You're retarded. Stop being so retarded!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Let's get someone to find out where he lives, and then pay him a visit and and give him just one, solid shot to the rad chilies.

"*POW* THE INTERNET SAYS WHATTUP, BITCH!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dominion posted:

Nah he's living on that sweet cookbook money.

And he still has the physical cookbooks that he can burn for fuel!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, as we're nearing the end of the year, apart from the wrong month, it seems my prediction is going to be pretty drat accurate.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I hate to be the party pooper, but that tree looks photoshopped.

:ssh: The entire comic is photoshopped.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

smashczar posted:

Achewood is literally the pinnacle of human artistic achievement so who cares if he stole from people? It was disposable income anyway. Ends justify the means y'all

No it doesn't, you loving moron.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pfft, Hot Tub Brawls is for poseurs. Real fight afficianados watch Hot Springs Donnybrooks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I can understood those that say Achewood is hard to get into. I got into Achewood fairly late in the game, and when I started reading the recent strips I just didn't get all the hoopla. Occasionally something would get a good laugh from me, but for the most part, it really seemed like the whole "in-joke that I'm not in on."

But because there were those little gems in there, I still wanted to get into it. So I started from the beginning, and it was much easier to get into from there. The early strips were more jokey and self contained, so you didn't have to have any familiarity with the characters and how Onstad writes to really get into it. After reading quite a bit, I ordered all the paperback collections that were available at the time, devoured those, and now I'm a diehard fan.

But yeah, I completely understand new readers being put off by strips created in the last few years or so. Especially if you happen to start during an arc like the Lash of Thanatos, you won't know what the gently caress is going on.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

homeless poster posted:

Oh no Onstad did your depression cause you to make further promises that you can't fulfill? Three strips in three days is pretty ambitious considering that you barely managed to hit that many since returning to Achewood in November. No wait, I'm a big gay baby for daring to expect, as a fan, that you might deliver on a promise that you foolishly made in writing.

Also, why doesn't he just post weekly or monthly updates that include one of the recipes from the mythical second cookbook? At this point I don't think anyone who tossed money in for that actually expects to see a return on their investment, and at least in this way he could do the bare minimum to address one of the biggest criticisms leveled against him while also doing it gently so as not to excite his depression.

But if he gives away his recipes to fans, he won't be able to sell them to media outlets in his never-ending quest to become a food critic.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I just want more strips with Philipe's friend calling him a homo jackass or whatever.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If Snoopy is a straight up sexual being, does that mean in the Achewood-verse his cousin Spike is a crack dealer who once ran over a kid while escaping the fuzz?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Happy Hippo posted:

I disagree. There have been tons of strips just like this one. The rub is that it is taking so long for the whole thing to move along

Plus, they kind suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phy posted:

It's another gently caress You Tuesday.

(Some months it feels like every Tuesday is gently caress You Tuesday.)

Starting in 2012, every day is a gently caress You Day!

Wake up tomorrow? gently caress YOU, someone out there is actively trying to make you poorer!
Wake up the next day? gently caress YOU, someone is trying to destroy your very way of life, and it's not terrorists but someone in a big company or big government in your very own country!
Wake up the day after that? gently caress YOU, the McRib will always be for a limited time only!