Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eat the eggs, Onstad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Folks may want to archive Achewood in general, just in case. If for no other reason than the protection of an academically interesting piece of literature.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dodgeball posted:

Probably not openly, but I'm certain after reading the thread that certain goons wouldn't mind dropping some knowledge on you. Goons with private messaging and e-mail accounts.
I would also like to be contacted by these so called "goons" you speak of.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think Achewood is a quality enough experience that it deserves a discussion thread, having only really come to it after it was already in terminal decline. However, hypocrite though I may be, a new thread that isn't mostly about the cookbook would be more useful.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

change my name posted:

AGH STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD AND MAKING ME THINK THERE ARE NEW COMICS :argh:
Welcome to the only game in town.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That isn't fun at all.

(Phillipe)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The title was indifferent but I thought that that was a great arc. The one that comes to mind when i think of an arc dragging is when they all went to Berlin, but I think Onstad himself kind of realized that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I loved that callback to the past. Perhaps Ray really did learn to pay attention.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My god, this is a rich vein I had somehow managed to overlook. Amazing!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lyle seemed perfectly on-note to me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

treasureplane posted:

I don't see this as all. If anything, he seems happily re-engaged with the universe he's created.
Maybe he's just using 'wrapping up an old thing' as a way to motorvate himself into peeling out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Reading that made me wonder why I don't already own a bed like that.
You are basically a clown, just like all of us who are not Mr. Bear.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maybe he could call CafePress up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What do you think the Tenmen sound like? My assumption would be somewhere between Devo and Talking Heads but they're a three-piece with no keys so I dunno actually.
My guess is they play a lot of real good guitar notes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

In the strip where Roast Beef bought the onesies for...Someones? baby, there was one that said " so what if a tit is food, I aint bugging" with a picture of a ladybug on it.
Now, I've alwasy focused on the 2nd half as to why it was offensive, but perhaps it was just the crudity of the whole thing?
I think Molly was more reacting to "Future Dead Person"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The police get on Ray that time he has Pete scare Little Nephew away from the goth lifestyle but even then they just make a phone call, they don't seem to be a big factor in Achewood society
Ray had to use his social connections AND give the police chief a Hummer - the car, not the Teodor kind - to get out of that one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah. Philippe Goes Home is a strong "emotional" arc and works nicely and then it just dives off immediately. The high school van arc still has the characters' voices correct, like I am never looking at that going "oh man what even happened." It's definitely weak and I could see an argument for it being the first sign of the decline but the characters are "in character."

Right after that though you start getting Cornelius talking like a Latin professor's thesaurus had a stroke and fell into a blender, Roast Beef starts ranting like Alex Jones, and so on.

Edit: Actually I think Cornelius gets hosed up at the end of the high school van thing?

Edit2: No, it's the aborted Ray in Rehab arc where you can definitively say "all the voices are lost and it's become bad."

I think there are moments here; he's kind of close. "Please allow him the benefit of your absence" is something I could see Mr. Bear saying, but that bullshit poem that falls out of his mouth is way too much. In general I think Onstad was trying too hard.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ryonguy posted:

Hell, I'd settle for a print on demand version. Most of them have hardcover available, and even if it's a little higher cost than a standard publisher because of the low volume I'd still jump at it.
The only PoD place I have experience with is Drive Thru RPG, but I can't imagine there aren't other options, perhaps for Amazon or something. Of course Chris may not want to bother dealing with it, as he is now a craft soda magnate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zereth posted:

I'm going to guess boxer shorts that aren't plain white.
Maybe he means like Tommy Hilfiger boxers. Such as LN might wear.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Javid posted:

I actually meant this one

But the text is >125 wide and scales like utter dogshit
Perhaps... THIS text?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, the California Right-winger is a type that doesn't really exist outside of greater California so it was a little mystifying to me too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I still do not understand why he hasn't done this. It's literally free money.
Probably has country pride. http://achewood.com/comic.php?date=01052005

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Javid posted:

tbh I respect teodor for not settling for any lesser boobs than those he chose to seek out

he could've abandoned his quest and looked at tiddies of any sort he wanted at any time, but he fought that battle to the bitter end
Yeah, the bitter end of that old dude's cock!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bony tony posted:

Achewood is pretty rough when it's not about dudes duding it up
She has to think.

That's her sustenance.

That's how she works.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I have made Teodors flavorburgers to mild acclaim.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Achewood, but it's a D&D setting. What's everyones classes and alignments?
Phillipe is Lawful Good. His incompetence does not disguise his desire to follow the rules and be a special, good boy.
Mr. Bear is Neutral Good, neither adhering to the law nor flaunting it for no reason.
Ray is Chaotic Good, because "being in trouble is a fake idea." While often selfish I cannot think of a point in the comic where Ray showed unprovoked malice towards others. Perhaps the Jeeps? But the Jeeps were an instrument of authority.

Nice Pete is Lawful Neutral, but his Circumstances compel him to make the murder activity. However, his rigorous dedication to a personal and ethical code are more defining -- he follows a Law, but it is not the typical one.
Teodor is Neutral, because he is unwilling to make moral decisions even when compelled. He tends to act in a vaguely positive manner when left to himself, but this is not a moral choice.
Todd is Chaotic Neutral, in the old vein of being completely unpredictable from minute to minute. Kyle is also Chaotic Neutral in the more recent mold: He will flaunt society and is not driven by love of his fellow man, but does not seek out acts of evil or malice.

Vlad is Lawful Evil, using the mechanisms of society in order to further his ambitions. His evil is largely concealed as the primary victim is Pat, who is the next on our list, but Vlad will absolutely destroy you in order to sell "Jewishness World Tour" printout papers. He will, however, not strike you with his fist.
Pat is Neutral Evil, driven entirely by selfishness and willing to both use and undermines the mechanisms of society in order to further his own aims. He is a nuisance to the community.
Lie Bot is Chaotic Evil, sowing chaos and ignorance wherever he goes through elaborate deceptions for no reason save his own pleasure or nature.

Roast Beef is neutral with good tendencies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Compelling points. I blame my misidentification of Lemmy's death's roommate on the consumption of overripe cheeses

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mr. Dick posted:

What is wrong with Ray that he is a cat of financial means and yet the only woman we ever see him with is Tina?
His game is essentially bothering women in public. He consorts with prostitutes primarily.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

He also got mad rutty with the care worker in the thing and low rise jeans
Sounds like a Claim to me, though he did wear the sex crown.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m the kind of person who really had to learn how to translate their personality into text because it’s very hard to be sarcastic in texts without just looking you’re being mean
We all put so much drat time into learning how to be fake mean that now we all act like we're real mean. Dammit!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Y'all mean on Nightlife but he has a publishing credit and all the injuries in the immediate area of the man were due to people who can't handle the reefer. Showbiz buys car stereos from magazines.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

DO NOT SAY MY MIDDLE INITIAL LOOKS MEXICAN OR I'LL FEED YOUR SALTED DICK TO A DOG!
While Nice Pete has strange ideas he does not seem to have any particular racial animus, unlike Pat, who has clear, strong prejudices, and Ray, who is careless enough to marry Grace Jones. Nice Pete may legitimately be unaware of the existence of ethnic groups, given his use of George Lopez as a comparison point in his fried chicken recipe. Though he surely must have heard of them given his time in prison...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

His serotonin's been deionized by all the grocery store sushi he eats! He's just wasting that Yale education.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/sZO5pAa.mp4

Crossposting from the cute thread. Figure you'll know why.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Is that Roast Beef (the middle cat, not Ray not Pat)?
Seems so; Ray would be more portly and Roast Beef has had problems keeping on weight even when eating cheese.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm surprised he doesn't have some kind of Cafepress or whatever for the Achewood shirt designs. I am not proud, I would probably buy an Achewood hoodie or something, and an occasional new design or jape would certainly bring in income, with little overhead.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If I have any significant amount of aspartame I get a bad headache so I just drink coffee and limit the beverages of sugar to occasional desserts with a burger and fry or similar indulgence

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Roast Beef's biological family is always so depressing, it's a good thing the surrogate one he's managed to build with his friends is a good one(well outside of a distressingly high probability of getting shot)
Ray's luck at least works in his favor given that he is now a cyborg.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The point of Pat is not that he is Wrong, it is that he is an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zereth posted:

Some of his food creations certainly seem Wrong, though.
I'd try the "got game Hens," I'll admit.