Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

bgaesop posted:

On placing the chicken in the oil to fry:

I also like Nice Pete's own perspectives on the Frying of Chicken:

quote:

Whenever a man tells you to season your dredging flour, look in his eyes: my guess is, pure white, with no iris or pupil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Happy Hippo posted:

Now let me know whether T cold has a peter in his mouth or not please.

He's finally finding out what a commodore is.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Happy Hippo posted:

The strips are almost always brilliant but god drat, we've been waiting forfuckingever to find out what's up with T and the cock that might be in his mouth.

Teodor is providing Full Amazement.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 21, 2010

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Pretty sure KOODGE was also the sound of Little Nephew's demise at the hands of Iorwerth.

It's also the sound of an external combustion engine.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that there was a (slight) belief when Pat finally realized he was gay that maybe now he would be a better person because all his dickishness was misplaced anger over his repressed homosexuality.... and then within a couple of strips it turned out that the only change was that now he was a total dick who also happened to be gay, giving him one more thing to be smugly superior about to the "sheeple".

It wasn't even a couple of strips - it was within the same strip.

The alt text is the perfect accent on that whole theme, too.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

10/28/03 11/04/10 - Dear Readers: Due to financial mismanagement, we have been forced to sell Achewood off to Japanese interests. It has been a pleasure providing you with comics these last few years. Please enjoy the new strip. -CTO

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10282003

Life is never neat; Life is always bad. :(

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

stupid ugly retard posted:

Followed by a gunshot.

This, Philippe, is the saddest thing.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I have a sad feeling Beef would just associate the string with paralysis and not get up for another hour.

"oh god I don't want to bat at the string, that must mean I'm dying"

Hopefully he got a refund on that Snicker Stick, but he probably just gave it to Lyle.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Radio Sally looks like my dog. :(

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I didn't see autotune jokes being criticized when they were being applied to prison toilets. :colbert:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

csammis posted:

Where's the donation link to keep the cartoonist lit and firing?

Click here for a big "gently caress you."

Alternately: Roast Beef's wedding registry.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I'm just glad my Dude and Catastrophe pint glass managed to squeak through before the store closed.

Now I just have to make sure I never, ever break or lose it. :ohdear:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Odd, my Dude and Catastrophe glass has been through the dishwasher numerous times, and not a fleck of color has come off of it yet. Then again, my dishwasher is a bit wonky too.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

Teodor's sexual orientation gets questioned a few times, so i wasn't expecting an explicit answer to what happened inside the van, either (which is fine), but an end to the arc would have been much appreciated, especially since it took like a year to get as far as it did. oh, and it's also kind of a crappy way to "end" the strip, but i probably didn't need to point that out.

Personally, I kind of feel like Onstad went from dropping the occasional tidbit about Teodor's sexuality to basically hitting us in the face with a hammer. The "Honest Man Comix" strip was particularly insistent upon it, especially after our last glimpse of Teodor in the Van of Good and Evil. You can only pull so much out of the closet before it's finally empty and you're just left with a room full of tacky junk.

The arc deserved a real end, but that end could easily have been the "HIGH SCHOOL IS OVER!" bit instead of trying to tack on something between Ray and David Lynch. After the sixteen thousand hints in the strip over the years, I think we can assume that some Full Amazement occurred in the back of that van.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

We have always been at war with Pat's Subway.

The Nick Cave/Nice Pete resemblance is absolutely amazing and perfectly fitting, by the way.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Don't forget to grab the custom text for the pictures; I swear those can be half the fun sometimes.

In some cases, the strip would be woefully incomplete without them.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 10, 2011

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I just realized what Chris spent the cookbook money on.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Dodgeball posted:

How many characters have died over the course of the strip and are still in the strip?

Ray
Beef
Molly & Her Family
Todd
Blister
Little Nephew
Teodor

Those have all come from various hilarious circumstances, whereas this feels like it's being played 100% serious drama style. I feel like there's a big difference between Ray having serious complications from alcohol withdrawal and, say, Beef puking on a power outlet or Teodor choking on a bottle cap while watching Breast Attack on gently caress Mountain.

That said, there are still great lines in this strip. Especially "boiled nonsense." Here's hoping it keeps up and ends up with a long-term return to form.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

This just popped in my head, but whats Lyles title if he is not part of the dirtiest dudes in town clique?

ACE OF GRADES!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My best friend has worked as a chef for most of her life and has probably gone through most of these. She definitely had something like the "Turkish restaurant -> slow-comfort tapas fusion" thing happen to her about two years ago.

Also still love, "Students are allowed to offer me cocaine, although there is no signage," and the bit about the seven half-empty bottles of DeKuypers.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I just realized the thing that's really bothering me about the new strip:

I think Onstad should have started with another of the one-off strips, like the ones he did near the end of 2010 that were still pretty good material (Honest Man Comix/How To Be Happy/etc.), rather than introducing us to what looks like the start of a longer storyline. After failing to deliver on the last one, failing to deliver on restarting Achewood for a long time, etc., it feels like he's promising way too much after delivering too little. I'd rather have a few "Tone Poem" strips and a fizzle than have him slog halfway through a storyline and then leave everything in the air. At this point, his bond with his readers seems to have broken down enough that nobody expects him to finish Ray in Rehab, and he's taking a pretty big gamble on the way he's restarted Achewood.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

Let's be honest, though. With Onstad's ability to stick to schedule and the number of times he's come back from hiatus for one strip, it does seem like a slightly bold (or even ill-considered) move on his part to launch into a longer story, especially since he did a real rush job to finish the last one.

(Also that bit at the top asking for donations bugs me. He should at least prove that he's not going on yet another hiatus before asking for more money.)

Yeah, that's all I'm really saying. I'm not asking for any kind of strict schedule (or any schedule at all, really) as long as the strips are good, but as the start of a longer story this strip implicitly says there are more to come. My argument was that maybe Onstad should take baby steps back into Achewood instead of biting off more than he might be able to chew.

And I agree, asking for donations when he hasn't delivered a strip (or already-paid-for merchandise) in months is a little tacky.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

Personally I sort of wish he'd just call an end to the whole thing, and see to getting the rest of his archive published by Dark Horse. A lot of people (me included) would probably pay for it, and it'd be better to just end the thing after a generally high run of quality than a number of eternally stalling attempts at restarting it which only serve to frustrate his remaining readership.

I feel the same way. We had a full decade of celebrating the English language with Onstad, and I'd rather Achewood go out on as high a note as possible than see it limp along like a crippled old dog, just because he feels obligated to his readers/wants to squeeze a few more bucks out of it/whatever. He shouldn't feel chained to Achewood forever, and it would do both him and the strip greater justice to move on at this point.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

withak posted:

Just another Tuesday night for Lyle.

Or Todd.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

David Lynch also showed up a mere year ago, but you might disagree on the "conventionally human" part.

I'm cool with one big update every few weeks, although I'm also signing up for the "when I see two strips in a month I'll believe it" bit. In the meantime, welcome back Onstad. :)

"Medically speaking, well yes, Ray is partying" is my favorite line in this strip. I'm particularly interested in the weird poo poo we're obviously gearing up for. Any club on Planet K is going to be one hell of a trip.

If you look closely at the model, I think it's a mannequin with no arms. You can see the holes where the arms should pop in.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Tenterhooks posted:

I guess another question could be: is this first completely invented conventional human face in Achewood?

Does burn-victim Bill Murray from last year count?

/fake edit: There's also caricatured Johnny Cash from way back in 2002.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

If the comic had stopped being great I wouldn't have been so sad when it stopped updating and would have hoped it stayed finished. But right up to the end the quality was just as high as always, it was just taking longer and longer between strips.

I think the "Predictions for 2011" strip was really sub-par for Achewood, but otherwise you're right - the quality was drat fine all throughout 2010, it's just that the waiting for strips and wondering just what Nice Pete was going to do to Teodor got agonizing for a lot of people. The first strip of "Ray in Rehab" seemed a bit "off" to me as well, but the second one feels much more on-course.

Speaking of Teodor, am I the only one who preferred it when references to his potential homosexuality were a lot more subtle? It seems like Onstad all but threw a coming-out party for him in 2010, whereas in strips past it was a lot more subdued and, to me, generally more hilarious. His dalliances with Hiram the Blacksmith strike me as funnier and more true-to-form than sucking dick in the back of Nice Pete's van.

Then again, Crazy Things happen in High School.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Is the accent in the name "Hén" actually needed or is it redundant? It probably exists in another language, but I like the idea that Onstad gave a fashion designer a name with a completely superfluous accent mark. Although in that case an umlaut over the N would have been more properly ludicrous.

I've really warmed up to this arc - it definitely feels like proper Achewood surrealism, a la the Lonis Edison and Cartilage Head stories. And the art on the house in that last panel is fantastic, with a seriously great Lynchy-D vibe to it. Makes me wonder if Trouble Man and No-No are hanging around somewhere.

Once this arc's done, though, I'm jonesing for some classic Todd action.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 14, 2011

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Nonvalueadded User posted:

I beg to differ. The accent mark over the e actually matters in indicating the length of the vowel in some languages (which of course I can't think of an example right now). The umlaut over the N, in addition to making no sense, would be a rip-off of Spin̈al Tap. (Idiot me, I just looked for an ASCII character where there was an umlaut over the n in a standard character set. Then I got smart and just copied it out of the wikipedia entry for Spinal Tap.)

But more importantly the accent over the e in a monosyllabic word is just plain ostentatious and pretentious.

On a side-note, can some goon with better knowledge of French tell me whether Aimeé is a legitimate name, or is it just a misinformed misspelling of Aimée? (Seems like it would be pronounced "Aym-uh-ay".)

Gotcha. That's why I was asking. :) And the "umlaut over the N" thing was intended to not make sense, but I'd forgotten about the Spinal Tap thing. I just liked the idea of Onstad giving the fashion designer a name that had completely superfluous or nonsensical accents/characters.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Whatever.

(I always loved the fact that Nolan from the Internet and his compatriots were the same pseudointellecuals critiquing Pat's performance in this strip.)

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

He's the guy who was a lot of fun to hang out with, but now he's with Darcy and the last time me and the rest of the guys were over she threw a chair against the wall so hard it fell apart when I said I didn't like the New Bomb Turks. Dude just sat there looking miserable and sort of mouthed "I'm sorry" before she demanded to talk to him in the utility room while we let ourselves out.

I can 100% perfectly picture Ray saying this to Roast Beef while gettin' spry on Grolsch.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Ray's never going to get to count to twelve, dude! Onstad took him down with him like an Egyptian emperor!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Achewood has done plenty of surrealism before, but I think what the last batch of updates has been missing is an anchor back into the Achewood world we know. In the Lash of Thanatos arc, Roast Beef was being his usual morose self and making oblique Java jokes, and in the Lonis Edison arc Ray was busy being, well, Ray. But the last few strips just don't have a link to ground we can stand on. Ray is there, but it's like he's in "temporarily retarded" mode again and isn't at all himself. So right now the reader feels adrift because he wants to read Achewood, but instead gets some bizarre Eraserhead junk featuring a shoddy cardboard stand-in for one of the characters. It's like seeing a production of Hamlet featuring Lyle, playing the part straight and bearing no resemblance to the character we know other than visually. It might be interesting, but ultimately it's not at all what we came for. This arc actually did a good job up through I HAVE A PRINCE ALBERT, but these last three strips have fallen flat.

Besides, Ray's already had some run-ins with weird math that were far more entertaining.

Really, I just want some old-fashioned banter and shenanigans. It feels silly to explore the Depths of Ray when we've already determined that all he merits is a brochure.

Nick at Nite posted:

Achewood for quite awhile, but in this arc in particular, has sincerely felt like Onstad actually wants to be working on some new property entirely. There's no particular reason this SHOULD be Achewood, and from his interviews, it sounds honestly like he's been sick of writing Achewood for a long time.

I suppose this is just more comfortable (or more theoretically financially viable, I suppose, at least in the short term), but it really feels too 'safe' to really be as fresh as he wants, and the feel just doesn't mesh at all. He can't just pound these characters into any shape he wants and expect them to remain recognizable.

I think one important factor is that Achewood no longer seems to rely on character interactions and snappy dialogue, but on surrealism that can function perfectly well without those characters (and would probably function better, in fact). Achewood made its bones on excellent character writing, and it's abandoned that more and more in favor of plot and atmosphere that deserve their own voice and, frankly, don't work in the Achewood world. You can't rewrite Cheers characters into Lost and expect a seamless transition, or for your audience to not notice.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 11, 2012

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I just want more strips with Philipe's friend calling him a homo jackass or whatever.

What the hell happened to Ultra Peanut, anyway? Did Ray's banjo get her?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Around here, there are newspapers sold by homeless people as a fundraising thing for some shelter/organization. I think that is more likely to be what Onstad is referring to, because it's exactly the same thing.

Yeah, he's definitely referencing publications along the lines of Streetwise in Chicago, and whatever parallels exist in other big cities. And whaddaya know, it's a good gag strip. :unsmith: I hope this break from unrelenting, disorienting surrealism persists for a little while.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

Snoopy from behind was the best thing about this. He just looks so... so confident, so sexual. I'm intimidated by that Snoopy, and yet, I'm also drawn to him.

Snoopy is a straight up sexual being.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Deathlove posted:

I know he said in the Dark Horse book that that poster was one of his five favorite things in the strip ever.

I would totally buy one of those if they existed. But Onstad kind of missed his chance to make them. :smith:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Why would you watch that movie?

You can do whatever you want in life.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

This is followed with a whole panel of them telling Ray the date.

Roast Beef finds Ray with Altimeter Tim and the rest of the group. He is greeted with a chorus of hostile "Not hi"s. He slinks away in defeat and sits in the dark at home. Cue alt text.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

This design is very practical, it would make it extremely easy for him to ring up Vlad and ask how the Make-Out King is.

Or ask what the gently caress ever happened to Polly.