Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The sudden jump to Ray pondering,"I wonder if Pat would be good at folk rock now?" and its payoff is a beautiful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"In a nation of broadband apathy, the pierced avenues of your local Tower Records are something like a roll call for reform... reporting to [Ray Smuckles'] Ragtime Detention Center is like pacing steadily toward the altar of... the only modern cultural validation which can even be said to exist."

Douglas Coupland NAILED it on "rear end in your Pants" for sure :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

csammis posted:

I'm the guy who needed to know how to pronounce TAY-uh-dor

Wait, what the gently caress? :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

withak posted:

Those are both spelled pretty clearly, not sure how else you would pronounce them?

Tee-Oh-Door. I never even considered it could possibly be pronounced any other way. This is like getting bitten on the stomach by a horse!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

csammis posted:

I don't speak a language which marks pronunciation that way :shrug:

Yeah, it's ignorance on my part but the accent is something I have no context for, and I'm also not familiar with whatever reason would make the o sound like a uh :shrug:

It's gonna take a long time for me to get the habit of pronouncing it the wrong way out of my head.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that Onstad actually succeeded in drawing a ding dong that looked appropriately furious in the follow up comic :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Can never get over Teodor getting his poo poo together and getting into shape and then immediately dying :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought it was a shopping trolley :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

:lol: at this part from today's reissued strip, goddamn it Ray

Yeah, this strip feels familiar but also not, I can only assume I only ever read it the one time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That dude freaking out over the mint expired tax forms going,"I'm gonna get it right this time, man" tells a whole, weird, and very hosed up story all on its own.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait, Six Sigma is real and NOT a parody thing from 30 Rock? :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MisterBear posted:

Nope, very much a real thing and heavily associated with GE of Jack Welch’s time as well - which is part of the joke.

Strange Cares posted:

I’ve read the Wikipedia page for six sigma now and reread the past two pages and I gotta say, you nailed it, good slam.

"Formal Six Sigma programs adopt an elite ranking terminology similar to martial arts systems like judo to define a hierarchy (and career path) that spans business functions and levels."

:psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

The sad thing about Showbiz is that yes he's a moron and a selfish jackass but it really wouldn't take all that much for him to turn things around and become a relatively productive member of society

Yeah, all he has to do is sell his car.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Weird, I distinctly remember the Rockford Fosgate storyarc and yet I have no memory of this strip of Showbiz wanting to start a business with Roast Beef teaching people how to rob banks. Oh well, I'll count it as being new to me!

The follow-up strip is a delight too.

Roast Beef: He uh he is partying down in Cozumel the chicks there are uh they are just insane this time of year
Ray: Huh, that's weird! I've always heard that the chicks in Cozumel are pretty conservative this time of year!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God dammit that strip is so close to the GOF I ended up just going and reading the whole thing accidentally.

Oh no, not the briar patch!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Everybody knows what the perfect strip to capture the hearts and minds of America with a pilot adaptation would have been :nws:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Pretty much just what I said. In this strip, Pat had the dong, then Onstad removed it after an initial negative reaction, then reinstated it after an even bigger negative reaction to the removal

Onstad apologizing by saying,"I didn't know how much my audience loved ROCK HARD CAT COCK" always cracks me up.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I think of "You can do whatever you want in life" at least once a day

It is a truly, truly wonderful line, yeah :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The dude running away on fire in the last panel always gets to me :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Smoking Mr. Gary's pole is so beautiful :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

Molly and Beef fighting has become old hat but I still adore this early strip

"He did, ma'am?" cracks me up. Guy is genuinely interested in hearing more about how cheap Roast Beef is, haha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phy posted:

The Goofy cartoon about Mister Walker, pedestrian, and Mister Wheeler, MOTORIST!! was always one of my favorites

Loved that. "Why, he wouldn't hurt a fly!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Last panel reminds me of the old Dark Horse books, that was the name for the last collection. Man, I really wanted those to continue or for the big All-in-One volume to come out :sigh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always forget about that strip but I love it, including Molly understanding that for a little kid it can be scary to ask a question about Jesus :3:

"I lost a bet and now he gets to act like an angry blue-collar father all day" is so great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

"But Mr Dracula, the purple pumps make me look cheap!"

DRACULA DON'T GOT MUCH MONEY THIS WEEK MWWWAH-HA-HA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Lyle/Phillipe is always a great setup... Ice Cream Headache, "Platform 9 3/4", Anarchist's Cookbook

Poor Phillipe never had a chance to make friends with that crab.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

zetamind2000 posted:

you can do whatever you want in life

That will always by my favorite.

Also, while it's not a line I'll probably ever get a chance to use, I do love,"My car parts are on my car, by the way"

That strip also has the wonderful alt text: "Seven men pissing into empties, calling you human being. They cannot see you."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

trilobite terror posted:

my favorite less remembered achewoodism is “Restroom Eyes”

Gets his way? :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He should have just used his imagination and let Pat enjoy his privacy :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The follow-up strip (which doesn't have any slide whistles OR men being punched on the erection :mad:) with "His dad's dead" "Yeah, I'd heard that." is a great little moment too.