Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just popping in to say that this is the best Achewood strip in over a year, and that it is absolutely beautiful. Very well done, Onstad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Second strip in a row to just straight-up make me :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got volume 3 for Christmas, and as awesome as it is (I love him admitting how much he hates some of the earlier strips, and the prose bits about Ray/Beef are so adorable) does it not bug anyone else that we're still not out of 2002 yet? I dunno, maybe it's just because they're coming out more than a year after the last but I feel like there should be more to them. I dunno if it's Dark Horse or Onstad or what.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've recently been rereading the newer Achewood strips that I only read once before, as they were coming out (pretty much from 2007 onwards) and they're much better than I remembered. There are some arcs I'm not such a huge fan of (Todd in North Korea, for instance) but overall they're as good as Achewood ever was and I think my biggest problem was not being verbose enough at the time to understand them, or just not reading them thoroughly enough.

Then I got to this strip, which may be my favourite of the entire run. It's not funny at all, but it's heartbreaking and moving and everything webcomics almost never are. It really made me think about how unique and special Achewood really is. God loving dammit, Onstad, come back already.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read The Hunger Games last night and even though it's plenty dark and such I couldn't take it seriously because so much of it kept reminding me of The Great Outdoor Fight. A lot of it was just the normal cliches that would come up with this sort of story, like dividing into teams etc, but when everyone got invited to a feast I had to put the book down due to laughing so hard.

yes, battle royale, etc, i'm well aware. Also, there were no side dishes.

As far as this current arc goes, I'm enjoying reading the strips, but I don't know that it's very different from a lot of the "hallucinatory/surreal for the sake of it" arcs that Achewood has had the past few years. Still, Onstad does it well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hi, Achewood thread! Just caught up on all the strips since the last Ray/Beef flashback one, and this thread has like 700 more replies, so I'm just gonna ask here: Onstad got divorced? What happened? And do we know anything else about anything other than "there are new strips sometimes now and they're pretty good"?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need a Ray twitter. Come on, Onstad. You can never update the strip again as far as I'm concerned if you make a great Ray twitter.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so glad this strip still has the potential to be as good as ever. "Too bad Sun Tzu ain't got a chapter for when the enemy is yourself" is amazing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also about a week ago I came and viewed this thread and read something a page's worth of the newest posts thinking oh maybe it's updated and that's why people are posting yet I still had no idea until today because they were ALL ABOUT THE loving COOKBOOK

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha no doubt every Achewood reader had the same thought, made an already hilarious scene even better

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ Australian poster spotted ;)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's really irritating that even though Onstad's skill is clearly writing over art he's choosing to focus on the art side and keeps trying to sell all these ganky-rear end paintings for absurd prices

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a new shirt in the store and it's a really cool design. Immediate purchase for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love that this thread is still fairly active after so long. It’s such a testament to how incredible this strip was at its peak

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just found these shits in my parents house

https://twitter.com/bown/status/1101792700800659456?s=21

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You get get most of them here: http://www.achewood.com/honorclub.php

I could scan 4-5 though, when I go to a friend’s place.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy anniversary Achewood now where the gently caress’s the first Oni Press book (they told me on Twitter the other day it won’t be out until 2023 at the earliest lmao)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/achewood/status/1655627707072528384?s=46&t=JsbrXZLeMaksMidW9RvL9A

Learning that there was an Achewood animated series at Netflix with Onstad and Pen Ward at the helm that got cancelled is the most grief I’ve ever felt. I really like how he’s using AI tbh, this attitude towards it seems solid

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I thought some of the replies under here get at it better than I might:
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1655698673710542848

This one sums a lot of it up for me:

https://twitter.com/sensha_do/status/1655700554901860354?s=46&t=JsbrXZLeMaksMidW9RvL9A

It’s an argument that has been infesting a lot of places recently including lots of SA and it really sucks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Me asking RayBot about his favourite weed strain alone is proof enough that AI isn’t all bad

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, the new strip is up. It’s the worst new one so far, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s totally fine in context, just someone being a baby, dw about it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I heard this one goon did recaps while they were watching it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Teodor would totally refer to twitter as “X”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

how to tell someone you haven't read Scott Pilgrim

This is a pretty good self-own

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
remember in the Pat gay arc when Onstad removed Pat’s Mexican magical realism dong and then put it back

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much just what I said. In this strip, Pat had the dong, then Onstad removed it after an initial negative reaction, then reinstated it after an even bigger negative reaction to the removal

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I don’t understand this one at all unless Beef actually dies in the next strip

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooh can someone link that please

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That alt text. God dammit somebody check on Onstaf

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat, Pat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t worry, Cornelius. Ray took care of it.