Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
In the past week I've gotten both the first Bloom County compilation (1980-1982) and Achewood: Volume 2.

I love having solid, well-printed collections of comics that will hold up well for the remainder of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Email from Amazon! Ooh, did my Volume 3 I ordered last fall ship?

Amazon.com posted:

Chris Onstad "Achewood Volume 3: A Home for Scared People"
Estimated arrival date: August 30 2010 - September 03 2010

drat.

Five minutes later... Ooh! Maybe it was a mistake!

Amazon.com posted:

Berkeley Breathed "Bloom County: Complete Library Volume 2"
Estimated arrival date: June 08 2010 - June 14 2010

Double drat.

I'm sure both will be worth the wait, but man that was disappointing.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

So did you guys not notice when I broke this news on the previous page?

Not only have I been betrayed by Onstad, but forsaken by Goons! :cry:

Sorry about that. I missed your earlier post and just got so excited when I thought I was about to get Volume 3, then I got the 1-2 punch with the Bloom County book. I'm more worried about the latter, to be honest, since it's such a big five volume project and I'm terrified they'll run out of steam or lose interest before completing it. Achewood's still a living, breathing strip and I'm sure the kinks and delays will be worked out for future editions.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

ManiacClown posted:

You know how a few pages back somebody substituted an Idaho inmate for Nice Pete? Well, thanks to a Cracked article I found this picture, which screams "humanized feline serial killer" even more.

Ever look at a weird album cover and wonder how it came to be? For this one, you can read the full story.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
There's only one rule to starting with Achewood, and it's not helpful. Actually it's more like an immutable law of the universe. If you suggest a series of strips to a friend, say ones about a cat going to the moon or a little otter going home to see his mom, your friend will wait a few weeks, check out those links, then hit up the front page. And on that day he will see a naked Nice Pete and his horrifying view of the world. And your friend will stop responding to your e-mails.

I love Achewood, have read through the whole thing several times, and can't wait to see what the future holds for our favorite cats and stuffed animals. But drat, it can be hard to recommend at times. I think this Achewood Law also works for publicity about the comic, and I seem to recall Onstad poking fun at that with a weird-rear end strip that appeared the day of an NPR interview.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Clitch posted:

It's spelled 'Whisky' on every bottle of scotch. If you're talking about scotch, that's how you spell it, damnit.

There's a sort of rule of thumb: if the English name for the country of origin has an "e" in it, then you spell it whiskey (Ireland, America). If the name does not have an "e", then you spell it whisky (Canada, Scotland, Japan).

It's not a perfect rule, and some American distillers label their product whisky, but it's easy to remember for the vast majority of whiskies you'll encounter.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

McGravin posted:

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend your love of tentacle rape (and yes, that joke is still funny). I merely meant that the Japanese are somewhat known for taking food and drink from other places and flavoring them with strange things or otherwise making them weird.

There was an entire movie about Bill Murray's character shilling for a real Japanese whisky company.

"For relaxing times, make it Suntory time."

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Achewood Thread 12: Waiting for Godot

I think I'm going to draw a hot bath, pour a cold martini, and read through my two Achewood hardback books tonight. Rather than complain about the current pacing, maybe I'd be better off reliving the glory days of the Great Outdoor Fight.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I've griped about this here before, but I will do so again:

I pre-ordered "Achewood Volume 3: A Home for Scared People" on November 13, 2009. Every two months or so, I get another update letting me know that the release date has been pushed back. Currently it's supposed to ship sometime after the first of the year. I'm tempted to just cancel the order, but it's kind of funny having it rattle around in my order queue for so long.

If I were waiting for the next Stephen King novel, I know that he'd need time to write it. If I were waiting for the next Dragonlance novel, I know that I would have to patiently wait for a month while someone flung a few nickels at a heroin addict to get him to grind out another 150 pages of crap, followed by another month of layout and printing.

In this instance, dedicated fans have been waiting for a year to purchase a book full of drawings they've already seen, with text they've already read, because they admire the artist and want to support him. In fact, I'm going to assume that some factory in China is pumping out bootleg copies of "Happy Cat/Sad Cat Volume 3" alongside stickers of Calvin pissing on Ford or Chevy logos.

Love the Onstad, want to support the Onstad, but really curious about this Vol. 3 thing, which I'll still buy whenever and if ever it is available.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Johnny Aztec posted:

To be fair, he should just put the comic on hiatus for 6 months or something while we works out whatever he has going on.
I don't even need to know what is going on. just say " hey some bad shits happening, comics shutting down for X months. Thanks for reading."

and maybe give people refunds that still havn't seen in product.

Doonesbury was on a 22-month hiatus back in the 80s, and that was with precious physical space on newsprint. Bloom County went on a break while Breathed was in the hospital after an accident, and other print strips have gone on hiatus while retaining readers. But in all cases, there was an explanation, and the attention span of webcomics fan is somewhat more transient than that of a 1980s newspaper reader.

The Achewood slowdown actually inspired me to finally start using an RSS reader, since it was frustrating to open a bunch of tabs every day that either updated several times a day or a few times a month.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Countdown till the terrible roleplaying begins.

I imagine lengthy tables about what the characters eat and drink. Plus a sadistic DM who just goes in the wrong direction. "Do we really have to play another campaign where Nice Pete abducts Philippe? Dude, I'm seriously starting to worry about you."

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I just listened to this the other day:

Interview with Chris Onstad
January 2009
The Sound of Young America

Not really anything new here if you've read some interviews with Onstad, but you get to hear what he sounded like during a more upbeat and active time.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I made the Flavor Burgers tonight and they were incredible. A slightly more useful set of proportions if anyone wants:

500g/16 oz. Ground Beef
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 tablespoons Yellow Mustard
85g/3 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Dash of Salt

Split into 8 small patties, smash and quickly cook on a hot griddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Shmoses posted:

I write about sport a lot and really struggle not to use that line

Our company is going through a lot of (positive) changes right now to adapt to the modern world, but it's tough for a lot of the long term employees and there's a lot of institutional inertia. I really want to use the following quote as a way of explaining how we have to move forward:

"Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors."

I can't, because it's from this (not Achewood, but similarly awkward to explain if anyone asks).