Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

A word that sounds like pizza.

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Hell yeah, punk girls are the loving best

Only in the sense that they are not at all.

Edit: Upon reflection, personal experience suggests that sometimes they are the best at sitting at places, liking punk music, and sometimes sexual favors, but 1 out of 3 isn't a majority vote.

onomatopizza fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

I feel like this is sort of a huge step for Beef. He had to go down his path, but he got there.

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

This whole thing strikes me as the worst initiation to an unknown terrible club.

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hurray. Almost nobody dies!

Yeah, but someone's still tasting desperation penis.

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

Tenterhooks posted:

The Achewood artwork, for me at least, is perfect the way it is. It's clear and precise but still sparse enough to let the reader interpret things on their own. I think it compliments the writing very elegantly. Peanuts wasn't full of lavish backgrounds or astounding detail because it didn't need to be - it would've been worse for it. Same with Achewood. The vector artwork has its own atmosphere and the slight cold detachment it offers just kinda adds to what Achewood is all about. There are certain panels that are just downright beautiful too.

I am a vector art fan, as well. One thing I never get is how people can complain about the artwork. The important thing is, first and foremost, that artwork aids the writing, which it does wonderfully. Onstad never gets any art props, but dude can straight up have faces say more than a panel full of words could. And think about how flexible his style is: the wedding vs. cartilage head arcs for instance. Styles are the exact same, but the prop choices (vehicles / CH letterhead), the "empty" panels and just the surreal way CH moves are are beautiful touches that provide more value than you could get by just reading the text.

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

Slashie posted:

Well, with the reminder that I do like Achewood ...

You don't have to be in love with the drafting to be a fan of Achewood. I guess my point is maybe the art isn't great sometimes, but it's sorta perfect at the same time. You sound like someone who's got some knowledge of character design, where I'm totally lacking so I'll concede those points. But the story telling is always great in Achewood. The series is consistently excellent in timing, with all the still frames and reactions having plenty of time to breathe, for example.

I guess where I'm coming from is... I love Ashley Wood as an illustrator / artist. I can't imagine having his abilities. But I can't really read Popbot. Part of it is that I have trouble looking away from the art, but a lot of the times it's also the pages themselves that get in the way. Jamie Hewett is another favorite of mine, and his art was gorgeous, but every panel was so crowded that it might as well be unreadable.

Achewood is a great example of balance, and playing to an Artist's strengths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

A personal asterisk by Nice Pete has got to be bad news.