Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm not sure how I never thought there was probably an achewood thread here. This comic is, as a certain podcast has reminded me, brain tape since young times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Lyle is watching a parents' video called "Dumb Thick Trick." That is his Decision. God says we should not have opinions, but I can tell that He also wouldn't want us to have This video.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Oxxidation posted:

Teodor does make a living off of Ray but he’s too proud to just ask for cash, instead he designs boutique baseball cards for six hundo

Except he keeps leaving a hundred and fifty dollars in a package of lightbulbs in the linen closet.

Here is that amount, though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jesus Ray what did Tina do to you man

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

drrockso20 posted:

Until my most recent reading of the comic where I actually bothered reading the blogs(since its so much easier to do so when they're bundled with the comics in order in a PDF rather than having to jump between a dozen different sites) my impression of Tina was that she was relatively normal and that the bad actor in her and Ray's relationship was pretty much always Ray up until her final arc in the comic suddenly did a complete 180 and made her out to be a terrible person which felt like an odd thing to do when she was one of only 3 notable recurring female characters in the comic at that point(along with Molly and Ray's mom), and it's only in this most recent run where I'm going through the blogs as well that I suddenly find out that actually Tina was a gigantic weirdo equally responsible for the problems in her and Ray's on-again off-again relationship this whole time it just literally never showed up in the comics at all until that last arc with her, usually the blogs come off as more of a fun bonus than anything truly essential to understand the comic but with Tina it's actually very essential to read the blogs to properly understand her as a character

oh poo poo where is this pdf. I've been in a "reread and do a deep dive" mode on a bunch of poo poo recently, especially with achewood because of Brain Tape devoting 40 minutes to each solitary strip.

And yeah, there's a lot to say about Achewood's handling of women in general, which is a story that'd be hard to tell without a deep analysis of Online in the 2000s and how it interacted with gender (badly, is the answer to that). But also Ray made an entire book of ways to hide that you noticed your Lady doing a : ( and that's very funny

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Safety Dance posted:

Now there's a podcast that makes me feel like I'm sitting on the nozzle of a big metal tank that says YALE.

I gotta say it's taught me a lot about what Palo Alto, Santa Cruz, and "the marshes" are like

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

drrockso20 posted:

Lord I hate the Cartilage Head arcs, he's such a judgemental douche for someone that never speaks

Ray is a stand-up guy in a lot of ways, but cartilage head had his number completely: he is ultimately a coward who would desert a dying man

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, but when you find another Achewood fan in the wild it’s glorious

The guy renewing my car's registration a couple years back had a ray&beef tattoo on his forearm. I wonder if he was a goon.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Rough chuckles.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

You know that Jai didn't ask for this.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I got my cookbooks today. I also ordered a shirt but I forgot about that weird thing you have to do on the achewood store where you "select" a "size" so does anyone want a men's small achewood shirt. i got "dong-razzled" and now my money is "away from me"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I want to know an Emeril.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Previa_fun posted:

I'd like to thank this thread for turning me on to Brain Tape.

And now I get Rosemary's version of "Making Love In A Limo On An Airplane On A Spaceship Bound For Space" stuck in my head several times a week.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Every time *I* drink a bottle of tequila I do it for the benefit of the nation.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

"Some ain't need to be stoned in order to have strange cares" is never more than an inch from the front of my mind

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Tall Tale Teller posted:

One of my favorite achewood arcs culminating in Ray asking for pants on a peach.

I'm not feeling like I have a lot of outs.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

How Wonderful! posted:

It's news to me as well. Those lessons were murder for a left-handed kid in the early 90s.

Oh hey, some trauma I had pushed down, how's it hangin, been a while

Did you get the weird triangle thing on your pencil to try to teach you how to hold it "correctly?" And if so did you just learn a really hosed up way of holding it so that you've never been able to learn how to use chopsticks good? Or was that just me

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

this whole mini-arc

Cornelius...
Dogg...
We got maaaaanes...

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ullerrm posted:

We lookin' at a six-hundo.

Six hundred dollars is class money.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

3-CELL D — BEST HEFT, MOST PLEASING PROPORTIONS

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mutantIke posted:

oh man that is crisp

the golden action is so crunchy

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

MikeCrotch posted:

Ray would be the one guy who made money off crypto, cos he met SBF and realised he should get out of all this nerd poo poo, because he pays attention

Ray spent a day learning about crypto, bought a bunch of one shitcoin, it immediately pumped to 100x what he paid, he sold it all the next day, and then spent the rest of the day forgetting all of the stuff he had learned.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jerusalem posted:

Pat gets super into an Ethical CryptoCoin (that actually pollutes even more than regular Crypto), Ray starts up a patently ridiculous alternate just to troll him and makes several billion. It also turns out to be a surprisingly effective carbon sink and he is hailed as an environmental hero worldwide.

I think this is the most accurate so far

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I stupidly bought an achewood tshirt in a unisex S, when I'm really more of a M-L. It's this one: https://achewood-holiday-pop-up.myshopify.com/collections/shirts/products/achewood-t-shirt-black-unisex

Do you wear size S t-shirts? Do you want that one? Do you live in the continental US? I'll send it to you because otherwise I'd have to donate it and that's effort

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My first thought about this was "oh poo poo does this mean they're not gonna do the party for season 3 of brain tape" and I think I might have gone soft in the noggin

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

quote:

What is the best ingredient to put in a burrito? —Leon Sumbitches
Dear L.,
This is kind of a loaded question, dogg. What kind of burrito you want to make? If you want to make a real spicy-assed Mexican-style tortilla, you grill up a couple chicken breasts with some fresh basil and toss in some Daiya Mozzarella before sprinklin’ in tomato sauce and sprinklin’ on non-dairy Parmesan (I like Tofutti). On the other hand, if you want a straight-up tourist-style burrito with a ton of fake Mexican ingredients and way too much guacamole, then you buy a couple Mission-style burrito kits at Costco, microwave those drat things up, and show all the real Mexicans what a terrible use of the burrito they have invented.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

moot the hopple posted:

I think I remember seeing some of the pilot or some portion of the Achewood show floating around. The voices didn't match what I imagined the characters should sound like in my head was my takeaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_97q16TFxk

beef is about right, phillipe is fine, ray is... a choice

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The comic is starting up again because it's hard to send a kid to college when you've had 2 jobs totaling 18 months in your life and merch/soda syrup isn't cutting it anymore

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My first time getting high was definitely out of the wooden tip of a swisher jammed in a hole in the side of a Mountain Dew can, in the woods

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

It unironically rules that I can walk to The Weed Store and buy a large selection of products from knowledgeable and extremely stoned salespeople then walk out with a bag that stops just short of saying THERE'S WEED IN THIS

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kazinsal posted:

Or, here in Canada, happily says "THERE'S WEED IN THIS : )" knowing that nobody can do poo poo about it

Mine says something like ASCEND: MODERN CANNABIS so basically

theironjef posted:

I like that the people at the store aren't stoned. I always felt a little silly shopping in old fashioned headshops, buying poo poo from some dude in a six-pound beanie who is hiding between the black light posters and the pussy incense.

One of my close friends works at a dispensary and apparently yeah, they are high all the time, they're just cool about it.

It rules because my friend gets way too many samples so every time I go over I leave with like $100 worth of edibles/vape carts.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

*d'p*

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pakled posted:

A real human child who is no longer a child, even!

https://twitter.com/achewood/status/1635757482508419072

Achewood is now permanently a comic about a babyadult

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kazinsal posted:

It's just straight chilled Ketel One with an olive in it to maintain the appearance of class.

Or a twist, if he's out of olives.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Strange Cares posted:

Ah, the first missed update of the new run. Achewood's back baby.

He said he had a few months worth of strips ready to go. I don't know if patreon allows you to schedule posts, but probably.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ok Comboomer posted:

they also lean a lot into their “the only really veg-friendly fast food place” image imo

It is in fact extremely good for vegetarians though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

drrockso20 posted:

Way I see it yeah Rod could probably do better but he also softened the worst of Pat's very sharp and rough edges, so it would be nice if they eventually got back together

Also admittedly I haven't read any of the new text bits but I've noticed in the comic proper we haven't really gotten any mention of Molly and that does mildly concern me

She's mentioned in the most recent side-post thing, where beef goes to the bodega.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Zereth posted:

Remember when Cornelius didn't know what vodka, bourbon, and tequila were?

anything before The Party is like an achewood-adjacent art test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

MikeCrotch posted:

Ray if he wasnt rich would be a tragic figure on the level of Simon Pegg's character from The World's End

ray wouldn't have ever been ray if he wasn't rich. things Just Work Out for ray so he's never considered Problems. it's basically impossible for this to happen to you unless you're rich