Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

The Werle posted:

Important New Topic: Does Onstad look a whole lot like Ray Smuckles, or is it just the glasses?

I still say he looks the most like Rod Huggins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Gotta say, I didn't expect anything to actually happen with those business cards.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Phillipe looks like a pencil with arms.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Wonder how long until Teodor starts wearing a shirt again.

Also I like that he's successfully hustling Todd after Todd/Lyle tried to hustle him way back when.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Muffin Loaf posted:

Don't get me wrong. I'm just as sick of "How could that happen?? What's going on!? Oh no it's... *MAGICAL REALISM* (drum crash, studio audience cheers)." Achewood has been on a steady decline for at least a year or two, and it bothers me a lot because I love how the strip used to be. I think it has a lot to do with taking magical realism and turning it from a once-or-twice out of the blue artsy interlude to a recurring yuk-yuk gag, and analogous changes to other formerly strong elements.

You've just got a confusing way of trolling about it. Why should I be thankful he's self-published? What would be worse if he weren't?

This is what happens when someone who mostly posts in LF reads Achewood, I guess?

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Spillane posted:

no, for real, this aint a troll.

Yes it is.

Spillane posted:

sporadic updates

Chris Onstad is not your bitch

Spillane posted:

repetitive themes, his tendency to experiment and for the most part overindulge with dialogue

You don't like what makes Achewood good. That's fine, but why come in here and tell us about it?

Spillane posted:

would be disastrous from any publishers perspective if he didn't have such an established fanbase and critical acclaim from the first couple of years. I can't see why anyone who just discovered achewood over the last two years would stick around based on the merit of the last two years of strips. it's a godsend that the entire archive is free, so new fans can easily access the entire material without spending a lot of dough which wouldn't exist if he was published from a major distributor from the start, hence why this dude should looooooove self-publishing and you all should too.

The most recent anthology, a New York Times bestseller, is published by Dark Horse Comics so I'm not sure what you're on about. It's somehow wrong for a webcomic author to gain a huge following and make money by...self publishing on the internet, and then self-publishing books/merch to make money and support his family until it takes off and is picked up and marketed by a major publisher? I can't actually tell what your point is, but it sounds like you're mixing the patently obvious with your personal (different from 99% of the people in here) opinions in an attempt to sound smart.

King Nothing fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 16, 2009

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Grilldos posted:

On the wide scale of "daily"-type comics in general, Maakies and Achewood are much closer together than you give them credit for. The fact Tony Millionaire can produce a page that fits in line with both the style of Maakies and Achewood at the same time speaks to that. If you "don't see what the fuss is about", give it a little more review than a single strip.

I dunno I clicked through several of the Maakies strips and I still hate pretty much everything about it.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Grilldos posted:

So I guess within the Achewood thread such generalized, opinionated statements against Achewood is uncalled for and deserving of guile, but against anything else it's fair game.

Yeah, it turns out it's ok to make generalized, opinionated statements about things. Making them about Achewood is fine too, it's just weird to do it here (if they're negative) since this is the "we like Achewood" thread, especially if you go on and on about it. I certainly wouldn't pop into a Maakies thread and say "I hate everything about Maakies". I don't plan on saying it again here either unless someone cares to know why I don't like Maakies (probably not).

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

withak posted:

Philippe's nose is not a 1025 in a box.

You're one of those picks-up-the-mouse-between-pushes types, aren't you.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Phenylketonuric posted:

So are we ever going to find out if Cornelius can successfully play a trumpet with his cock?

You mean Lyle. Cornelius has only ever tried to protect his trumpet from such a disgrace.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

RolandTower posted:

anyone want to ruminate on the exchange

"How's his mom handling this?"
"She didn't have to, his father did."

Is that foreshadowing of something that will get revealed in the conclusion of the arc, or am I just not getting it.

Phillipe's father told him he should pack up and go home in last week's strip. He probably left without interacting with his mom any more. I dunno what the house vanishing at the end is all about though.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

It'd be hilarious if the chef at Dennies was the son of the man Nice Pete killed who served the bar when he kidnapped Philippe.

The ice cream place? What's to say that Nice Pete killed him?

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

The great outdoor fight is where I started, and I think that story's more interesting than the party. Or start with Ray's company selling automotive ballsacks which leads into the GOF.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

ZipOtter posted:

food chain! get used to it!

hmm

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

ProfZoom posted:

The Achewood cast sure does a lot of writing. I know the idea has been put forth before, but actually having the stuff published and sold would pretty much be a license to print money.

I think that would be putting the insouciant title cart before the strength of concept horse for sure.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

Oh Jesus. Oh T.

I still don't understand why Pete's shadow was making a Molotov cocktail two strips ago...

He was fantasizing about what he could do to two people locked in the back of his van. The shadow was a cool, artistic way of showing what he was thinking about.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Young Freud posted:

I can already see the end of this arc, with Philipe and Steve waiting for Teodor. Then Pete crashes his van into Teodor's house, the door pops open to expose Teodor going down on Nate.

It'll be the olympics all over again.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

choobs posted:

According to the top of achewood.com, a new strip will go up "7/15/2010 Pacific PM".

Tonight can't come soon enough.... :f5:

Can anyone remember a time when a message like that went up and the strip actually was posted when the message said it would be? I can't.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They do actually have medically-beneficial synthetic feces; it was in the paper this weekend. I guess they make up poop with the right kinds of helpful bacteria and insert it somehow into your colon so the helpful bacteria start reproducin' and making all kinds of good vibes.

Poor Mayner.

That's great, but from reading the strip I think it's just a fancy name for a buttplug.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

I find the flashing of his van lights just as ominious. This is still taking place at 4AM right?

He's just doing it to get their attention. Which oddly enough worked, although not for the reason he probably thought.

I can't believe I'm speculating about a cartoon cat's thoughts

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Gomi posted:

Food Chain! Get used to it!

Was the writer drunk while typing that? There's so many typos and also:

quote:

"You know the mayhem of the midway and a deep-fried churro walking by one of those creatures. How are you suppose to gain a real since of this animal's sentience and consciousness?" said Humane Society's Jennifer Fearing.

The hell does that even mean?

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Someone commented today on the fact that my msn profile at work says "you can do anything you want in life."

I promptly linked them the relevant strip:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10242007

That's kind of a weird strip to send someone at work.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

vonnegutt posted:

:siren:New strip you jerks:siren:

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11052010

Pretty sure you're the jerk here.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

The dude with the winning fish looks exactly like Wolcott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

This latest strip reads more like that parody of achewood where Ray's holding a sign pointing at his junk than normal achewood.