Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Integral Catculus posted:

I occasionally pee Ray-style

this is not something you share in public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Copernic posted:

Sporadic, infrequent, unexpected updates are not an inevitable component of the creative process. Particularly when the author's method is to promise a time, break that promise, promise a new time, break that promise, and THEN it appears.

Yeah this is why I don't pay for the fanflow either.

I own a bunch of achewood merch, but the fanflow doesn't appeal to me at all.

Also since the fanflow started it seems like the blogs and such have all died :(

Spillane, criticizing his release schedule and the fact that Magical Realism is featured more heavily than Roast Beef nowadays is certainly fair game. The experimentation and "overindulgence" of dialogue is pretty much the definition of Achewood, and complaining about that would be like getting pissed that Picasso had lovely perspective or Sinatra didn't have enough drum solos. If he did three panel situation, setup, punchline cartoons all the time in 10 words or less he'd be Garfield.

also maybe you should take your meds.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chris Onstad posted:

There is no longer a baby. :(

This is because the baby hit the pupae stage and is currently a sticky mess best kept hidden from predators and not because she befell calamity, right?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

NonConformistBurger posted:

Finally, I got my order in the mail today! It took about a month, but now I am eager to show off what I got.

btw those things are hella not dishwasher safe you can barely see the logos on mine.

They might have said that somewhere or maybe that is common sense but by the time I noticed them fading in the dishwasher it was too late.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Please confirm:

RIT is the ugliest school on the face of the earth.

(RIT grad here)

What, no Br(D)ick City Pride?

RIT is a pretty ugly campus. But they have a ton of awesome resources there and some pretty cool professors.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
It's a game where the next level comes out intermittently and significantly less so since the game started advertising the DLC which has over 700 levels which is apparently where the real effort goes.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

nmg posted:

Philipe is 5.

oh poo poo, really? man that is crazy Onstad you never fail to impress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I remember the halcyon days when comics were posted more than once a week and there were regular content updates that did not require a $3 monthly fee.

I don't know why I have issues spending $3 on talking cats when I have bought something like 3 shirts, 4 posters, pint glasses, cookbooks, regular books, and other poo poo. I guess its the lack of permanent access.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

Welcome to the Achewood thread, where we rehash this same conversation every 8 or so pages.

Because it takes that long for a new comic to come out :rimshot:

In all seriousness, though, what else is there to talk about aside from the current comics and the delivery of the comics? Is there some new cool Onstad talk or interview or something similar? No one really talks about the fanflow content because half of us don't pay for access to it and its not like there is the wealth of content there used to be - a lot of that stuff gets shunted to the fanflow I guess.

The blogs were last updated:
Ray - 12/8/08 (these are all american dates gently caress you british backwards folks)
Beef - 5/24/09
Pat - 4/6/09
Teodor - 5/30/08
Phillipe - 12/16/08
Cornelius - 4/4/09
Lyle - 5/4/08
Molly - 7/29/08
Onstad - 1/16/09
Nice Pete - 5/4/08
Little Nephew - 5/4/08
Emeril - 5/12/06

So yeah, even the most recent posts are 10 months old.

I mean dude's welcome to bake his bread however he wants but I don't think that somehow means people gotta love it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gomi posted:

You know you can defend the many areas in which the US is superior but I can't back you on calling a date order where the time periods are in order by size, instead of month THEN day THEN year, 'backward'. It's like a clock that reads 54:03pm and then the seconds. It is dumb as hell.

month provides context for day, not the other way around. Year comes last because it is only required for long-term planning.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gomi posted:

You know you can defend the many areas in which the US is superior but I can't back you on calling a date order where the time periods are in order by size, instead of month THEN day THEN year, 'backward'. It's like a clock that reads 54:03pm and then the seconds. It is dumb as hell.

Y'know, looking at this again, this is the worst loving analogy.

Hours provide context for minutes in the same way that months provide context for date. Year is a superfluous bit of data that is only added for long term planning, in the same way that a clock might list hours, minutes, date.

A clock that reads minutes:hours is literally the same as the bad/wrong days:months calendar, and it is obviously bad/wrong because otherwise it would not have been previously labeled as such.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chris Onstad posted:

Would someone please call my mom fat? Thanksss.

Your mom's so fat she gave up after several years of crash dieting and has resorted to joining a support group that is building a float for a Fat Pride parade that is having difficulty securing the proper permits due to engineering concerns regarding the bridge they want to cross.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chris Onstad posted:

I have a dachshund, so I basically have a dog *and* a cat. Also, I do like my dog, except for the parts of its behavior which remind me of the parts of my own behavior that I do not like.

Pooping on the couch, jumping on the bed and sniffing a dude's butt mid-coitus, leaping up the stairs too quick and catching your dong on one?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If only we all had our own Steve DeNueves, carefully guiding us to our rightful place while we nap in a box :allears:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Revol posted:

But was he mid-poo poo? He was having a lot of trouble getting the job done. And yeah, if I'm beat half to poo poo and naked on the lawn of cousin offspring who're are contemplating gunning me down, I'd be able to at least limp away with half a dookie in my rear end.

You do not truly know what you are capable of until you are thrust into the situation. Do not purport to be better than Teodor until you have copped a squat in his shoes.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Somberbrero posted:

Is it wrong that I unironically enjoy eating at Denny's?

Is it wrong to put a match up your hiney to make you doody every time?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fillerbunny posted:

My wife likes Denny's. I'm not really a fan. I spent way too much time there

...in HIGH SCHOOL!

I totally read this as "My wife is like Denny's" and it is much better when read that way.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Hasn't the fact that Nice Pete doesn't see her as having eyes been referenced before?

It's creepy as gently caress

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

bloodychill posted:

Well, at least he's old and lived a nice, long life. Most old people that eat at Denny's have had a nice, long life.

If you are old and are eating at a Denny's alone in the middle of the night I do not think there is a long chain of happy moments leading up to that meal.

Nobody goes "boy, I've had a long, fulfilling day, full of good times and happy occassions, lets go to Denny's at 2am alone and order a cheeseburger with no fries."

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I hate you so much I will have my cartoon serial-killer cat impersonate you to lure an elderly homosexual to his van

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Wa11y posted:

If it's anything like Nice Pete's recipie for fried chicken, I think it'd be worth it.

Seriously, that fried chicken recipe is life changing.

end is a kind of change

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Vitriol posted:

Something is wrong with the forum, this page dropped off the front of bss.

no new strips means no new posts

"I'm coming off my 35th birthday party. New strip Weds evening. Thanks for your patience!"

This wednesday is hella long, dogg.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Man Teodor is not having a good day

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Well obviously, I mean who didn't experiment with their sexuality in high school, in a padlocked van, with a concussion, and also an old dude who is proud of his presence.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
My Son is an Honor Student at Padlocked Van High School.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm waiting for Teodor's diginity to just bust through the back of the door and put everything back to normal, waving it away as a dream.

But deep inside I know his dignity ain't never coming back.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Considering Nathan has zero problems touching a naked dude in a Denny's at 2am, hell, considering that Nathan is in a Denny's at 2 am, I don't think he's exactly some exemplary member of the human race. Gay dudes aren't a horrible thing but there isn't a player aside from Teodor in this situation that isn't part of the horror show.

I think the important thing to take away from this whole situation is that high school is a pretty poo poo time of one's life, and double high school is apparently even worse :v:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
alt text is great, especially because I love the gently caress out of Citizen Kane and that bugged the poo poo out of me the second it happened in the strip.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Citizen Kane has literally beautiful, complex, layered artistry in each shot, and literally pioneered all of those techniques. It's practically where cinematography began, and aesthetically it holds up very well.

So that's why I like it. If you're watching it just for the plot and don't know the historical context of Hearst's life, then its not going to amaze you, but nobody is watching Avatar for the plot, either.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 24, 2010

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
both Megan Fox and Orson Welles have worked on the Transformers IP.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

smashczar posted:

Does Ray have vodka martinis or just ketel one shaked over ice with an olive? I saw a bottle of ketel one the other day and nearly bought it.

Considering the proper way to make a vodka martini is to put three parts vodka in a shaker, put one part vermouth down the sink, and then shake with ice, pour into a martini glass and fill a toothpick with as many olives as it will fit, I'd say this question is irrelevant.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

On a serious note god I really do miss this comic updating.

Same here.

Achewood has been dethroned by the other comics in my rotation from its spot as my favorite not by quality, but rather attrition.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

we've been waiting forfuckingever to find out what's up with T and the cock that might be in his mouth.

Clearly Onstad was just trying to figure out the most scientific way to get otherwise straight guys interested in potential dude-on-dude panel van blowjobs.

It has been done for sexy science.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Teodor is Onstad, Nathan's dong is writing Achewood. Teodor doesn't want to do it, but feels obligated by circumstance.

It is a parable, folks.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
what is the Angry Weatherman Theory besides sounding like a prog-rock band?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I don't think people are hating on Achewood, merely hating on the fact that it updates more rarely now than ever.

On the one hand, I can imagine it's annoying to work on it and see people talking poo poo. On the other hand, it's largely done because people (myself included) have grown accustomed to regular deliveries of mirth and turns of phrase that excite and titillate. We expect, and deeply desire Achewood in our lives, and to go without sucks.

If the sun did not come up every day, we would complain, but that does not mean we hate the sun, merely its absence.

Having said that, I don't think there is a thing that Onstad could say that would improve the scenario. No matter what reason, mundane or fantastic, he put forth, people would complain, and the reality is the only thing that will sate fans is more Achewood, not excuses, no matter how rational or understandable they may be. If, god forbid, Onstad's entire family was on fire, and only through not writing more Achewood could he ease their suffering, a group of cantakerous internet people would complain that he was not upholding his Achewoodly duties. And if it is anything less than that, even more people will complain.

Really, the safest, best, and most enjoyable 'fix' all around is to simply put out more Achewood, more often, without drawing attention to the fact that it's been about 3 weeks since we saw a strip. There are no words that aren't uttered by a cartoon cat in a regular update that will sooth the pains of an Achewood longing, so its best to forgo them entirely.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Someone commented today on the fact that my msn profile at work says "you can do anything you want in life."

I promptly linked them the relevant strip:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10242007

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

King Nothing posted:

That's kind of a weird strip to send someone at work.

I sent it to a friend over IM while I'm at work, its not like I'm posting it to our newsgroups.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
"This strip was 23 days late"

e: there were 3 strips in September, which is not that exciting a number but certainly makes the very lonely singleton October strip stand in stark relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Maduo posted:

If it means we keep getting pretty, full color pages like the last two strips, I'm perfectly fine with leaving it behind. The end of that story can be worked out from what we were left with anyways: Between Roast Beef's mind games and Ray's rallying, the day is saved and the tyrannical reign of high school is ended forever.

The Lynch adaptation will open to lackluster reviews, but finds new life in college film courses across the nation.

the pretty full color pages are exclusive to November so it will be a whole 8 or 9 strips before we see one again.

E: oh my god I literally just realized Rod Huggins is a pun

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 19, 2010