Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Looks like a dash of self-parody to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Aww man, I was hoping he really would be five forever like in that "glimpse into the future" strip.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
This is such a common problem in fiction and real life, that if I were writing a story and came to a point where I had to address it I would be very hard pressed to come up with a way to do it that wouldn't be terribly cliche and boring and/or groan inducing.

It's such an obvious solution in hindsight to have the embarrassment of buying condoms be the problem, but have the funny thing be something else altogether, while keeping it related to the situation. Onstad and other accomplished writers probably don't have to worry too much about it cause they're spinning old situations in new ways all the time.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
This is the kind of thing you want to show other people, but then you realize that they'd have to have been following the strip long enough to be familiar with Philippe for it to really mean much.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Is this the first time Pete has seriously hurt someone "on camera"? I can't remember another time.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Well clearly he had custom perspectives put in the van.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Well he hasn't killed him yet. Maybe he really does intend to just beat him within an inch of his life for some mysterious Pete-brain reason and then let him go. In which case I hope he hasn't hosed that up with his "vocabulary test" gambit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

poor and weird posted:

Okay, so here's a question: If this were Molly and a wrinkled up old meth hag, how would you guys feel about that?

Or rather, if Nathan were straight and Molly were the one in the van, how many people would be defending him? May not be a fair comparison though, because of Societal Reasons