Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

gently caress you achewood criticizers, this strip was motherfucking amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Chris Onstad posted:

No. We're experiencing some delays with the cookbook, but are working fervently to circumvent them.

If it was part of my anniversary order, will my other stuff be delayed until the cookbook is ready?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Grilldos posted:

All his hypotheticals do this. All sad cats are Roast Beef.

All sad cats are grey.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Could someone be a straight up dogg and tell me the ingredients in the Ray steak in the cookbook? I got a cast iron pan for Xmas I want to break in, but I am at work and forgot
to make a list.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Rock Strongo posted:

Want to meet Tim the Gray Alien

Haha, I got 4th place on the Achewood strip club naming Facebook challenge.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, seriously. A man who's had everything he owns handed to him trying to teach people how the world works is the dickest thing in the world.

His mom disciplined him hardcore. I recall saying when his mom spanked you, it would be on the actual pink part of your tush.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

OBAMA ACKBAR posted:

how does Col. Ephraim figure into this

The same way Connie being excited about Flava Flav figures into anything

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Chris Onstad posted:

I don't deserve readers as thorough and thoughtful as you bunch of knuckleheads.

Oh, now I'm crying. [Kidding, I'm just happy. These tears are from super-hot peppers!]

Here is how I show appreciation back: a picture of a really expensive delicious beer in one of your glasses.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 5, 2010

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

If you like stouts, it makes Guinness look like Corona.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

How did you know where I purchased my beer. And really, Whole Foods prices beer the same as anywhere else. Mine does, anyways. And I am proud to say I have never purchased organic sunchokes there, only beer.

Vitriol posted:

So ordering some of this as soon as I can!

Unfortunately it's seasonal and way out of season. I was lucky that my Whole Foods got a random case in out of nowhere. I would love to have stout chat and exchange stout notes though, I know tons of other awesome ones.

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 5, 2010

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

McGravin posted:

Huh, I never had much trouble finding good beers while I was out there visiting a friend, but then we didn't go to many bars, and one we did go to was a brewpub, and so had their own beers as well as a pretty good selection of others. But maybe you just didn't go to the right bars?

Speaking of good beers, I'm usually a stouts and porters guy, but last night I had a glass of Dragon's Milk Ale from New Holland Brewing Company. I was very pleased with it, and I recommend anyone who can find it give it a try.

What a coincidence. I had that the other night too. It actually does have kind of a milky taste to it, but in a really good, delicious way. I recommend it as well.

Who would have thought Achewood fans are also good beer fans?!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

The Missing Link posted:

I'm implying that he's five, and that octogenarian is not his mother. He may call her "Mom", and regard her as such, but I have serious doubts that she gave birth to him. Granted, I haven't been reading Achewood for as long as you guys have so it's jarring to see this little old lady be presented as the actual factual birth mother of a five year old.

She has a string (of pearls?) to keep from losing her glasses! That's pretty typical of Little Old Ladies.

I think that's just Onstad's idea of an archetypal mom. Cassandra looks fairly similar.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Chris Onstad posted:

Sondra. That's Ray's mom. Cassandra is Roast Beef.

YOU JUST GOT FACTPUNCHED IN THE THROAT OF YOUR BRAIN!

And YOU had to be the one to do it. The creator of the comic just yanked my pants down in front of everyone. Thanks.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

How much merchandise am I gonna have to buy to save face here? Like, how many t shirts are we talking?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Chris Onstad posted:

You might be looking at commissioned art, pal. You're not getting off easy, here.

Can I pick the subject or is this more of a "commissioned" art kind of deal?

(wish I had the one in my avatar, by the way)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

You guys are really running with the "Philippe is 5" thing. It was a great joke in that strip, but he's not a drat Highlander. It's not like everyone else in the strip ages noticeably around him.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Custodes posted:

I'm pretty sure that this strip implies that Phillipe literally will not age along with everyone else. And he does seem to be the only one who is free from death if only because he never loses his innocence.

Right, and I'm saying people are taking that strip literally when it's just supposed to be a joke.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

DocFrance posted:

I'm saying it's more about the tragedy of parents getting old and things never feeling the same as the first time than it is about a magic otter boy who never ages, and that people are reading into the "Philippe is five" thing too much.

Exactly. And I think the creepy insistence that Philippe ask for that dinner was a way of making sure living with his mom again is what is really best for him.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Grandpa Pap posted:

Here, let me cheer things up! :haw:

I re-read the Trip to Germany arc, as I visited Germany last year for work and wanted to see if I could use my newfound encyclopedic knowledge of Germany to pick up on any references to stuff in the strips.

Like Ray, I flew into Frankfurt, and like Ray, I initially had problems getting a hang on the German lingo (though I did recall what "pommes oder brot" meant thanks to the strip).

Unlike Ray, I did not make a suit out of copies of "Der Spiegel" nor did I partake of any fingernail schnapps (I stuck to several rounds of "ein großes hefeweizen, bitte" for my nightly imbibing).

Sadly I didn't get to partake of a currywurst, either. :smith:

I had a similar experience in Austria last month. Also I wore that Teodor shirt with all the German on it and they told me it was really bad German, although they liked the use of "Stammtisch".

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

As a semi-adult, this strip is really the truth. It made me feel, goddammit Onstad.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

The main thing I took away from that is I really want to try Thunderbird.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Well now I want to drink it even more. It can be worse than this terribly "whiskey" corn malt liquor that had chunks of something floating in it that I drank one time.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

This is funny like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was funny.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Achewood has featured a lot of peeling out vans over the years.

Chris, do you have a secret desire to peel out a van?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I haven't laughed this hard at something in a while.

Then I read the alt text.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

This isn't Lost, you dinguses (dingii?).

Chris, why didn't you explain Walt?!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Vitriol posted:

Ironically enough, I bet that Nice Pete is allergic to peanuts. Or "goobers" as he most likely calls them.

I always liked that he refers to diet soda as "false" soda.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

bloodychill posted:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09052008

This is it. My favorite Achewood comic so far. Onstad, if nothing else, you will be remembered forever by me as the man who penned the comic that filled me with unending glee.

The alt text on the strip after that might be one of the funniest things I have ever read. Ahaha, I totally forgot about that.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

You are in a Murder Van. It reeks of death. The only exit (N) is padlocked securely. An elderly kidnapped man offers you his 10 inch cock. What do you do?

>_

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

C:\> get mcdonald's!

There is not this idea.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Dove from Above posted:

Poor Téodor. I hope he doesn't end up 'tossing more salad than a seasick rabbit.'

On the other hand, it's less progressive in that the presentation of gay characters is often through a lens of straight characters being made uncomfortable by them and their gayness.

Some of them, but I think Pat and Rod are handled pretty well.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I love the change of tone too. Achewood can be a lot of things. It's hilarious most of the time, so let it be like Ian Curtis sang a song that David Lynch wrote about Charles Manson for a while, alright people?

Having said that, there has never been a better opportunity to include men being punched on the erection and slidewhistle noises.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Chris Onstad posted:

Hey, that was a GUEST strip, pal.

So in THEORY if I made guest strip you would post it? Because I am FULL of ideas(and Kwak belgian beer). I can't draw, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with Achewood. HEYO

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Chris Onstad posted:

You can always post it here, stud.

I'm getting pretty uncomfortable with all of this gay stuff. Maybe you should tone it down a bit so I don't have extremely hot fantasies about it every night.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm hoping Roast Beef breaks Nice Petes daze by telling him he is going to go to a crummy college if he doesn't clean up his act.

He might fail and have to take a really low blue collar job too!

That worked really well when Teodor tried it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Haha, I just noticed Emeril called it "The Far Side of the Moon".

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I really enjoy that this discussion is not even slightly off topic in this thread.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Dodgeball posted:

I bet if we open your fridge we'll find Hunt's brand catsup. Not even Heinz, man! There, full circle.

I was serious! But if you really must know it's Whole Foods 365 Ketchup :smug:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Strips like this make me glad that our issue is quantity rather than quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

GigaPeon posted:

It's a zero-update month for those lucky enough to subscribe to the Fan Flow. Of course the banner ad for it says that is "growing daily".

Well it was, 2 years ago.