Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Ferg posted:

I just pulled your menu commits into a separate branch. Where are you getting the forum names from? I can't find that <select> element anywhere.

It's the dropdown menu at the bottom of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

It's the dropdown menu at the bottom of the page.

Wow I definitely never noticed that.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just merged in Sebbe's patches for a forums jump list and the ability to highlight OP's posts. The jump list takes place of the settings menu in the omnibar. I'll be tying the settings menu into the standard Options API to compensate for this, along with the "Configure SALR" link that's embedded into the site navigator already.

Is there any preference to a global button that's always present, or are you guys fine with a jump list only appearing in the omnibar?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I'd prefer a button.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a shot of the current implementation, using a browser action button:

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell
I like the way it is now, doesn't bother me outside of SA and on SA it's only present as a link up top.

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

Mr. Fish posted:

I like the way it is now, doesn't bother me outside of SA and on SA it's only present as a link up top.

I agree with Mr. Fish. It is extremely nice having it only on SA pages and my browser actions buttons are getting pretty crowded as it is. Although that does look pretty sweet Ferg.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Excellent. Will there be an option to set up our most frequented forums like it is for the firefox one?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Can I make a minor request that's purely visual? Can we have an option to change or disable the gradiants on the thread listings?

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Feature request (that I might do myself once I get to a computer that has a functioning enter key):

Make it possible to disable the recoloring of threads in the thread list.
Make it possible to disable the page navigator.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

calandryll posted:

Excellent. Will there be an option to set up our most frequented forums like it is for the firefox one?

Not right now. Baby steps ;)

Due to the nature of Chrome extensions a lot of these features are somewhat hackish. The jump list won't work until you actually view a thread, since it uses the drop-down list at the bottom of the page to parse out the current list of forums.

That being said, it would be fairly straightforward (although not necessarily simple) to track the forums you visit the most and highlight them at the top of the list. I'll leave that for a later release though.

Sebbe posted:

Feature request (that I might do myself once I get to a computer that has a functioning enter key):

Make it possible to disable the recoloring of threads in the thread list.
Make it possible to disable the page navigator.

Dude you're nuts. I pulled in your latest commit (the one you sent me yesterday).

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Ferg posted:

Dude you're nuts. I pulled in your latest commit (the one you sent me yesterday).

Nuts good or nuts bad?

Honestly I had most of the features already made as userscripts; all I did was clean them up.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

Nuts good or nuts bad?

Honestly I had most of the features already made as userscripts; all I did was clean them up.

Nuts good ;) Contributions are very welcome. It helps get my rear end in gear to keep the project updated.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just pushed out v0.4.5. This includes the omnibar jump list, and fixed a bug where inline post counts may not have been shown.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ferg posted:

Just pushed out v0.4.5. This includes the omnibar jump list, and fixed a bug where inline post counts may not have been shown.

I'm getting 'invalid value for permissions[0]' and it appears to delete itself from the download location. Am I doing it wrong?

Edit: Yes, I was. Version 3 of Chrome. I'll get my coat.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 1, 2010

tjones
May 13, 2005

Ferg posted:

Thanks for your work on this. This extension has made me finally start using chrome.

Is there a new way to open the options dialog? The menu you get by right clicking the grenade icon in the url box has the options item disabled. I tried navigating to the settings.html file manually but realized this probably isn't a valid way of viewing the file as no tabs were shown and no settings were being read into the text and check boxes. I take it the menu item ties into the options button found on the main extension page when accessing it from the tool menu?

I'm running chrome 5.0.307.1.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Would you mind adding a link to the settings panel in the new jump list? I removed the header link to it, and now that the omnibar icon is for the jump list only, I think I have no real way of accessing it.

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009
You should still get the Configure SALR in the top links. As of right now this is the only way to configure it. We are currently working on getting the option link setup in the context menu of the icon.

tjones
May 13, 2005

wmbest2 posted:

You should still get the Configure SALR in the top links. As of right now this is the only way to configure it. We are currently working on getting the option link setup in the context menu of the icon.

Boy do I feel like an idiot, especially considering this was in the FF extension as well. All my complaints are gone! Great work guys.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tjones posted:

Thanks for your work on this. This extension has made me finally start using chrome.

Is there a new way to open the options dialog? The menu you get by right clicking the grenade icon in the url box has the options item disabled. I tried navigating to the settings.html file manually but realized this probably isn't a valid way of viewing the file as no tabs were shown and no settings were being read into the text and check boxes. I take it the menu item ties into the options button found on the main extension page when accessing it from the tool menu?

I'm running chrome 5.0.307.1.

Whoa I had no idea you could get a context menu for the extension by right-clicking a page action.

So there's an Options API for Chrome extensions that I haven't utilized yet, simply because it broke the Configure SALR link (I tested this feature when implementing the jump list). I've been chatting with wmbest2 today about it and he may have a solution for it. I'll try to get a fix out ASAP.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

wmbest2 posted:

Like I said, I disabled the header link.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

bloodynose posted:

Well, it's the only way to access it for now, so you're hosed.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I might be doing something wrong - but the "Don't use SALR jump buttons" option doesn't seem to work in the most recent build. (On or off, the thread display looks the same)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Don't know how useful it will be to some of you. I tossed together a quick extension for coloring the OP a certain color along with making blockquotes look fancy.

Click here for the full 632x629 image.

Small file works get it here. http://crmain.com/temp/SA%20Css.crx

Hell it may be options in SALR already that I didn't notice.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bloodynose posted:

Just sit tight then, wmbest2 is getting me a patch to use the options API.

calandryll posted:

Don't know how useful it will be to some of you. I tossed together a quick extension for coloring the OP a certain color along with making blockquotes look fancy.

Click here for the full 632x629 image.

Small file works get it here. http://crmain.com/temp/SA%20Css.crx

Hell it may be options in SALR already that I didn't notice.

Sebbe gave me a patch for this last week. I merged it in and forgot to note it in the 0.4.5 build. You'll see the option under the Highlighting tab.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Ferg posted:

Sebbe gave me a patch for this last week. I merged it in and forgot to note it in the 0.4.5 build. You'll see the option under the Highlighting tab.

Excellent. Didn't notice that part. Is there a way to incorporate this also? I'm lazy and hate clicking all of those buttons at the usercp to open in new tabs.

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009
For those wanting the options page the patch is finished. just have to merge it in with the main code. Like Ferg said sit tight it will be usable soon.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

calandryll posted:

Excellent. Didn't notice that part. Is there a way to incorporate this also? I'm lazy and hate clicking all of those buttons at the usercp to open in new tabs.

Wouldn't be hard to port over if somebody wants to pick up the work. I'm a bit bogged down this week.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009

That looks great!

e: Trying it out and I really like the way it changes quotes but the coloured OP posts isn't for me I think, would love to see the qoute boxes as an option in the next version of SALR :)

fishbacon fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 1, 2010

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Ferg posted:

Wouldn't be hard to port over if somebody wants to pick up the work. I'm a bit bogged down this week.

I was trying to play with it earlier the only problem I saw was that Chrome doesn't like GM_OpenInTab option. And I can't seem to find a way around that.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

calandryll posted:

I was trying to play with it earlier the only problem I saw was that Chrome doesn't like GM_OpenInTab option. And I can't seem to find a way around that.

Probably this is what you're looking for: http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/tabs.html#method-create

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Ferg posted:

Probably this is what you're looking for: http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/tabs.html#method-create

Looks about right. I will play around with it later on tonight and let you know if I can get it working. I have just about everything I want from Firefox in Chrome to make the change.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

calandryll posted:

Looks about right. I will play around with it later on tonight and let you know if I can get it working. I have just about everything I want from Firefox in Chrome to make the change.

Awesome, just shoot me a pull request on Github if you have something you want me to merge.

I just rolled out v0.4.6 with wmbest2's fixes for the settings dialog, so bloodynose, you should be able to get there again.

Also fixed the issue that was preventing the custom SALR buttons to be disabled, and gave Sebbe due credit for his OP highlighting patch which went unnoticed in the last release.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The download link in the first post still seems to point to 0.4.5.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009

The Kins posted:

The download link in the first post still seems to point to 0.4.5.

It is pointing to 0.4.6. it just seems like it is pointing to 0.4.5. because he forgot to update.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fish posted:

It is pointing to 0.4.6. it just seems like it is pointing to 0.4.5. because he forgot to update.

Fixed the OP.

It wouldn't really matter anyways. The way Chrome updates extensions is very non-intrusive and totally in the background. You would end up with the latest version relatively fast if you downloaded the wrong one.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Ferg posted:

Fixed the OP.

It wouldn't really matter anyways. The way Chrome updates extensions is very non-intrusive and totally in the background. You would end up with the latest version relatively fast if you downloaded the wrong one.

I notice in the OP the grenade icon appears in one screenshot in the omnibar, and in another as an actual icon, however in my chrome it only appears in the omnibar. Is there anyway to get it to work as an icon so I can access the jumplist without having to already be viewing the forums?

Also, if you right click the grenade icon and click "Something Awful Last Read" the details page doesn't appear to exist yet. Just for completeness would it be worth having a simple details page?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Fish posted:

Ah, thanks. My cache was ensuring I'd only ever install 0.4.5 for some reason. A quick clean later and she's good as new. Sorry 'bout that!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JingleBells posted:

I notice in the OP the grenade icon appears in one screenshot in the omnibar, and in another as an actual icon, however in my chrome it only appears in the omnibar. Is there anyway to get it to work as an icon so I can access the jumplist without having to already be viewing the forums?

If you read back in the thread a bit you'll see I asked preference from people. I got 2 votes for omnibar and one for the browser I think. Unfortunately you can't make either of these optional right now, so if there's an overwhelming push to get it on the browser bar, I'll switch it up. The screenshot you're seeing was taken while I was experimenting with this idea.

JingleBells posted:

Also, if you right click the grenade icon and click "Something Awful Last Read" the details page doesn't appear to exist yet. Just for completeness would it be worth having a simple details page?

Looks like this assumes you're hosting the extension with Google...Somebody asked me to do that earlier and I just assumed the Github page was fine. I don't really feel like this belongs in the Google extensions repo for public consumption. Any opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What can it hurt? There are extensions for goon project sites on there already. Worst cast it's a worthless chunk of code for a non-goon.

• Locked thread