Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Ferg posted:

If you read back in the thread a bit you'll see I asked preference from people. I got 2 votes for omnibar and one for the browser I think. Unfortunately you can't make either of these optional right now, so if there's an overwhelming push to get it on the browser bar, I'll switch it up. The screenshot you're seeing was taken while I was experimenting with this idea.
Ah my bad, no big worry. I only use chrome on my work laptop as firefox runs like a dog on it for some reason (I do like my extensions), so not having a jump menu instantly accessible is probably more productive ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

Javid posted:

What can it hurt? There are extensions for goon project sites on there already. Worst cast it's a worthless chunk of code for a non-goon.

Meh I cant help but agree. Before this was pretty much a hack (well actually it pretty much still is) but its becoming a pretty substantial plugin. I say why not add it to google's listing. It might even attract a few more goons who dont know about it yet.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wmbest2 posted:

Meh I cant help but agree. Before this was pretty much a hack (well actually it pretty much still is) but its becoming a pretty substantial plugin. I say why not add it to google's listing. It might even attract a few more goons who dont know about it yet.

I would call it an elegantly developed piece of software :colbert:

But okay. I'll gently caress with it tonight. I think I'll have to roll out an update to do it since the update server is hardcoded into the extension itself and I'm not going to bother maintaining the Github page anymore if it's up on the official extensions site.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Ferg posted:

Just sit tight then, wmbest2 is getting me a patch to use the options API.

Sebbe gave me a patch for this last week. I merged it in and forgot to note it in the 0.4.5 build. You'll see the option under the Highlighting tab.

I don't see the option under the Highlighting tab :(

What exactly is the option called? Maybe I'm overlooking it.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Revenant.Eagle posted:

I don't see the option under the Highlighting tab :(

What exactly is the option called? Maybe I'm overlooking it.

"Posts by OP"

If you're still not seeing it, bring up your extensions console (Click the Wrench -> Extensions), click Developer Mode, and then click to update all extensions now. Make sure you're running v0.4.6.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Ferg posted:

"Posts by OP"

If you're still not seeing it, bring up your extensions console (Click the Wrench -> Extensions), click Developer Mode, and then click to update all extensions now. Make sure you're running v0.4.6.

Oh, I'm dumb. I thought you were talking about the quote highlighting/outlining, not the color of the OP.

FOOD!!!
Nov 27, 2002

Captain of the Assboat
I didn't see this posted yet. I'm running 4.0.249.78 beta and ran across this interesting side effect with the page navigator. I opened this thread from a bookmark and scaled the window horizontally to make it more narrow then scaled it back. You can see the result in the image here. Excellent work so far. This extension was the reason I started using Firefox and may be what brings me over to chrome.

Click here for the full 845x588 image.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FOOD!!! posted:

I didn't see this posted yet. I'm running 4.0.249.78 beta and ran across this interesting side effect with the page navigator. I opened this thread from a bookmark and scaled the window horizontally to make it more narrow then scaled it back. You can see the result in the image here. Excellent work so far. This extension was the reason I started using Firefox and may be what brings me over to chrome.

Click here for the full 845x588 image.

Yeah I noticed it the other day. It's actually been there since the page navigator was first implemented. I know the cause, just need to iron out a fix. Resizing the window causes it to happen.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is there a way to make the new forum selection menu not open a new tab, but use the current one instead?

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

This is great, thanks so much. I'd just been waiting for this and rikaichan to make the move to chrome.

I found a few bugs though. I sit pretty far from my monitor so I use zoomed in mode to view the forums, usually one or two clicks, and it doesn't get it right when going to the first unread post. And with resized images, the "make full size" blue box you can click in the upper left of the picture is floating way off and is unclickable.

Also, will there be anyway to sort the forum list in the omnibar to put your favorites or most visited at the top? (I know you mentioned the latter). I like Riso's idea too.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Many thanks for the port, Ferg. SALR was the last thing keeping me from full on Chrome use. :)

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Riso posted:

Is there a way to make the new forum selection menu not open a new tab, but use the current one instead?

Not in the current version.
As for the odds of it getting added? It is not only possible, I just wrote the code for it.

Sebbe fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 4, 2010

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Many thanks for the port, Ferg. SALR was the last thing keeping me from full on Chrome use. :)
I really want floating Reply and Edit windows, but have still moved to Chrome full time thanks to this.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

As for the odds of it getting added? It is not only possible, I just wrote the code for it.

Link me to the commit when you get it up. I had ideas for this, so I'm curious as to how you implemented it.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Before I go migrating the hosting to Google's extensions directory, are any graphics-savvy goons willing to clean up the icons and maybe make something, well, iconic? My hack job is a bit lackluster.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Sebbe posted:

Woo! Good jerb.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Ferg posted:

Link me to the commit when you get it up. I had ideas for this, so I'm curious as to how you implemented it.

http://github.com/Eckankar/salr-chrome/commit/86ea93dfee9f86dcfa6c77fe2cb4df670aba2184

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Any word on getting keyboard navigation in this? Only thing keeping me on Firefox still.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Whatever code is used to identify links to youtube to embed them also tries it's stuff on youtube doubler links, example:
http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...WTf1gUIo&start2

Also, if I want to open a youtube link in a new tab as well as have SALR embed it this doesn't seem possible using left or middle clicking on the link (I presume middle clicking should be what I want, seeing as left click shows the embedded vid)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dur my sleep addled brain thought you were talking about tracking frequently visited forums and such. Anyhew, this one looks good I'll merge it in a few.

kri kri posted:

Any word on getting keyboard navigation in this? Only thing keeping me on Firefox still.

Not in the pipeline right now unless somebody submits a patch. I think wmbest2 was experimenting with hotkeys in Javascript today (hint hint).

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Ferg posted:

Dur my sleep addled brain thought you were talking about tracking frequently visited forums and such. Anyhew, this one looks good I'll merge it in a few.

Well, pinning forums to the top of the list shouldn't be too hard to do.

A bit busy correcting exam sets these days, though, so I probably won't do it for now.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

Well, pinning forums to the top of the list shouldn't be too hard to do.

A bit busy correcting exam sets these days, though, so I probably won't do it for now.

Yeah. I was thinking of creating a local database to store records of how often you visit each thread, which would allow for ranking later on by frequency.

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

Ferg posted:

Not in the pipeline right now unless somebody submits a patch. I think wmbest2 was experimenting with hotkeys in Javascript today (hint hint).

I got them to work the other day just not with the project I needed them for Id be happy to play with them for this extension... Ill do that next

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Any way to enable thread highlighting without having to enable thread tracking in the forum options? It's a little spergy but I don't like seeing the threads in blue as it's loading, then suddenly switching to green. Same reason I don't use the SALR 'jump to last post' and 'mark as unread' buttons..

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Any way to enable thread highlighting without having to enable thread tracking in the forum options? It's a little spergy but I don't like seeing the threads in blue as it's loading, then suddenly switching to green. Same reason I don't use the SALR 'jump to last post' and 'mark as unread' buttons..

Unfortunately no, and with the way chrome extensions work I dont know how much we can get around that jump. The extension isn't applied to the page until the page is completely loaded thus creating that jumpy behavior. If I remember correctly Ferg wanted to do a cleanup/rewrite at some point on the settings code so maybe we can see about optimizing some of the code for better loading times.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wmbest2 posted:

Unfortunately no, and with the way chrome extensions work I dont know how much we can get around that jump. The extension isn't applied to the page until the page is completely loaded thus creating that jumpy behavior. If I remember correctly Ferg wanted to do a cleanup/rewrite at some point on the settings code so maybe we can see about optimizing some of the code for better loading times.

Load times won't be improving anytime soon.

As far as tracking without the options enabled, it can be done by manually tracking with the extension like the Firefox version originally did. However, that would be a ton of redundant work for a feature that would just get in the way. The way its implemented now is similar to how the Firefox version adapted to work once the forums supported tracking natively.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Is there any possibility of future incorporation of mouse gestures to navigate the forums? That's really one of my favorite things about the SALR addon for Firefox.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I just noticed that if you resize the browser horizontally, you end up getting a ton of those quick-navigation things on the bottom-left of the page; I'm guessing one for each time the window gets redrawn?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

I just noticed that if you resize the browser horizontally, you end up getting a ton of those quick-navigation things on the bottom-left of the page; I'm guessing one for each time the window gets redrawn?

Yeah, I noticed it recently and somebody earlier in the thread pointed it out. It's been there since page navigation was added. I know where the trouble spot is, just not sure how I want to fix it yet without breaking other parts.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

I whipped up a working version of pinning; it doesn't track by frequency, but it should make a lot of people happy, I hope.

I'll leave it to Ferg to make it look good; I make very ugly mock-ups, layoutwise.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

I whipped up a working version of pinning; it doesn't track by frequency, but it should make a lot of people happy, I hope.

I'll leave it to Ferg to make it look good; I make very ugly mock-ups, layoutwise.

I got your pull request, I'll take a look in the next day or two.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sup, having some issues with the addon that have only cropped up recently. The # of unread posts count is not displaying at all for viewed threads when viewing a forum or my control panel. Arrows are fine, highlighting is fine, but no unread count. Is this a known issue?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kevdude posted:

Sup, having some issues with the addon that have only cropped up recently. The # of unread posts count is not displaying at all for viewed threads when viewing a forum or my control panel. Arrows are fine, highlighting is fine, but no unread count. Is this a known issue?

Try playing with the setting for displaying the post count inline. I think one of the recent updates goofed up the stored setting.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ferg posted:

Try playing with the setting for displaying the post count inline. I think one of the recent updates goofed up the stored setting.

Turning that option on, restarting Chrome, then option off, then restarting again, fixed it. Thanks!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kevdude posted:

Turning that option on, restarting Chrome, then option off, then restarting again, fixed it. Thanks!

Cool cool, I'll try and find a better fix prior to the next release. I've got some good stuff on board thanks to Sebbe, just been a bit wrapped up at work.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anybody who wants to run off of the development code, now's a good time to do a little testing. I've pulled in a number of fixes provided by Sebbe and am testing out the v0.4.7 release. Assuming all looks okay I'll roll it out in the next day or two officially.

Edit: Also, Sebbe, this doesn't include your forum pinning to the jump list yet. I want to spend more time with that and tweak it a bit.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Any word on the new release ferg? I waited awhile to ask but its been a week.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

blackflare posted:

Any word on the new release ferg? I waited awhile to ask but its been a week.

Been backed up. Let me work on it today.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Latest version 0.4.7 is up. Per the changelog:

- Fix navigator bug when resizing window (Sebastian Paaske Tørholm)
- Code cleanup and optimizations (Sebastian Paaske Tørholm)
- Highlight posts by friends (Sebastian Paaske Tørholm)
- Highlight posts by moderators/administrators (Sebastian Paaske Tørholm)

Yeah, I pretty much didn't do anything on this release :unsmith:

Remember to let Github work its magic if the updater isn't kicking in for you. It caches stuff for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot

Ferg posted:

Latest version 0.4.7 is up. Per the changelog:

- Fix navigator bug when resizing window (Sebastian Paaske Tørholm)
- Code cleanup and optimizations (Sebastian Paaske Tørholm)
- Highlight posts by friends (Sebastian Paaske Tørholm)
- Highlight posts by moderators/administrators (Sebastian Paaske Tørholm)

Yeah, I pretty much didn't do anything on this release :unsmith:

Remember to let Github work its magic if the updater isn't kicking in for you. It caches stuff for a bit.

Does Chrome auto update extensions?

• Locked thread