Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

cis autodrag posted:

Web extensions support pop-ups, so it's feasible, but we should probably just pick one behavior for each feature with diverging implementations. I hate quick reply so I'm not gonna weight my own opinion at all as to which version is better.

I like the external window way better, but I get that I'm a weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Serfer posted:

I like the external window way better, but I get that I'm a weirdo

Same. I would use it a lot to lift quotes from other threads. Made it a lot easier, not to mention putting it on my second monitor when I was pulling data from another source.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
As a user of the current Firefox extension, I also like the pop-up window. It's the main feature I use.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Though realistically, I think that should be the last thing implemented. I'd much rather have things like my always showing nav bar, proper "do I have unreads" highlighting, and custom user subtitles first.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

iospace posted:

Though realistically, I think that should be the last thing implemented. I'd much rather have things like my always showing nav bar, proper "do I have unreads" highlighting, and custom user subtitles first.

Does the chrome extension not have user notes? I don't see it

I assume that's what you meant by custom user subtitles

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Serfer posted:

Does the chrome extension not have user notes? I don't see it

I assume that's what you meant by custom user subtitles

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's really useful, especially as a mod, to track problem users since name changes are a thing here.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Someone in yospos just said they xenforo 2 officially released today so if lowtax is true to his word we may be switching forums platforms soon. I think a wait and see approach is probably best at this point because the chrome extension is gonna be totally broken by that move also.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

axeil posted:

As a user of the current Firefox extension, I also like the pop-up window. It's the main feature I use.

Yeah, same here. It's incredibly useful.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Capsaicin posted:

The only thing I really want is just the "SA" dropdown between History and Bookmarks at the top of the window :(

Same here :( Am I just being incredibly stupid and not seeing where anyone has posted a working version of the Firefox one, or? The pop-up window is nice but I can live without it, mostly I just want the dropdown menu back.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

cis autodrag posted:

Someone in yospos just said they xenforo 2 officially released today so if lowtax is true to his word we may be switching forums platforms soon. I think a wait and see approach is probably best at this point because the chrome extension is gonna be totally broken by that move also.

First part is mostly true (xenforo 2 officially released November 28 - https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-2-0-0-add-ons-released.137930/#post-1195559 ), second part is lowtax :lol:

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Sup dudes

Here's the updates, including the menu bar extension:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WmnmBiA5EaAXOI5ljY5mqf0KEwByiUR4&export=download
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ws4a9V2hZuLQVL1ppM2Yk4hStvNmk9sE&export=download
Same as before, install using
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Temporary_Installation_in_Firefox

I may have hosed something up here, I think I need to search/replace the extension id, since I had to manually specify it...

Serfer fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 1, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Serfer posted:

Sup dudes

Here's the updates, including the menu bar extension:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WmnmBiA5EaAXOI5ljY5mqf0KEwByiUR4&export=download
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ws4a9V2hZuLQVL1ppM2Yk4hStvNmk9sE&export=download
Same as before, install using
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Temporary_Installation_in_Firefox

I may have hosed something up here, I think I need to search/replace the extension id, since I had to manually specify it...

There's 2 links here, which one should we use?

Also it says the install is temporary until you restart Firefox. Does that mean if you shut down and restart your computer you have to reinstall and you lose all your settings/changes?

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

axeil posted:

There's 2 links here, which one should we use?

Also it says the install is temporary until you restart Firefox. Does that mean if you shut down and restart your computer you have to reinstall and you lose all your settings/changes?

Both, one is SALR, the other is the SALR button.

I think I might need to fix the SALR extension though, I had to specify an extension id, and it uses it in a bunch of places that I probably need to change as well (like hitting the x on the quick reply popup doesn't make it go away)

Edit: as to the second part, I think settings are retained, but you have to reload it. This is just a temp job until it can get submitted to ffsfox

Serfer fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 1, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Serfer posted:

Both, one is SALR, the other is the SALR button.

I think I might need to fix the SALR extension though, I had to specify an extension id, and it uses it in a bunch of places that I probably need to change as well (like hitting the x on the quick reply popup doesn't make it go away)

Edit: as to the second part, I think settings are retained, but you have to reload it. This is just a temp job until it can get submitted to ffsfox

Thanks! How long does it take to submit and get approved?

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

axeil posted:

Thanks! How long does it take to submit and get approved?

It's probably quick, cis autodrag is gonna do it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So is it going to be submitted for approval soon then?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Serfer posted:

It's probably quick, cis autodrag is gonna do it

Given you've literally done all the work, maybe you should submit it and claim all the glory. I've been completely sidetracked on work projects.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

cis autodrag posted:

Given you've literally done all the work, maybe you should submit it and claim all the glory. I've been completely sidetracked on work projects.

Yeah, but I think I'm going to fix the resource loading problem I made in the bar version, and that'll probably be it.

Or I'll combine the two first, I dunno, I don't really have any interest in the ongoing work part.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you thank you loving thank you.

Edit: I'd missed inline youtube videos and quick post okay.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 1, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So what's the ETA on mozilla submittal, the firefox thread is asking about it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nice work with the port! This is exactly what was needed to tide people over until XenForo 2.

Is there a most-updated repo for the Firefox changes, or just the zips Serfer has posted? I can help with getting it submitted / setting up an auto-update from the legacy Firefox version when it's ready.

e: can help with stuff like data translation too so people can keep their notes and relevant settings from their legacy firefox install

astral fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 4, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When will this be an ~official~ extension?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
1-2 weeks ago ago all my highlighting broke. I decided to try and fix this today. I saw in the first post that SA recently updated so it has it's own highlighting. I went into the user control panel, and turned that all on. Now I have some highlighting back, but it's just all light blue in color. I'd like to go back to the scheme I had where threads with no new posts were light blue, and threads with new posts were light green. I still have this set up in SALR, but it doesn't seem to be taking effect on the actual forums. I tried restarting, uninstalling & reinstalling SALR, but no dice.

Edit: all my embedded youtube links are broken as well.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 10, 2017

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Just recently I can't get mouse gesture navigation to work anymore. :(

Edit: Nevermind. Hit alt and it works again.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 12, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

So what's the ETA on mozilla submittal, the firefox thread is asking about it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Anyone? Bueller?

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

astral posted:

Nice work with the port! This is exactly what was needed to tide people over until XenForo 2.

Is there a most-updated repo for the Firefox changes, or just the zips Serfer has posted? I can help with getting it submitted / setting up an auto-update from the legacy Firefox version when it's ready.

e: can help with stuff like data translation too so people can keep their notes and relevant settings from their legacy firefox install

I see there's no longer any conversion capability built in, so it'll probably have to be an outside process to convert the notes from the sqlite file.

Side note, does anyone have a screenshot of what user notes looked like? They should be easy enough to add, I think.

Sorry if I haven't done much, it's a busy time, and while this is useful, I have it working "well enough" for myself. I took a look at integrating the button into the main extension and it looks easy enough, and if I can do that and add user notes, I'll see about submitting it, assuming I can transfer it to whoever wants to maintain it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Serfer posted:

I see there's no longer any conversion capability built in, so it'll probably have to be an outside process to convert the notes from the sqlite file.

Side note, does anyone have a screenshot of what user notes looked like? They should be easy enough to add, I think.

Sorry if I haven't done much, it's a busy time, and while this is useful, I have it working "well enough" for myself. I took a look at integrating the button into the main extension and it looks easy enough, and if I can do that and add user notes, I'll see about submitting it, assuming I can transfer it to whoever wants to maintain it

User notes sort of looked like this:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Serfer posted:

No worries - just point me at the latest version (do you have a repository setup or just the zips?) and I can take care of the signing part. I don't mind maintaining any firefox-specific changes that can't be merged back into the main one. As for the user notes, it's just a question of converting from the sqlite like you said. What I was referring to though is I can do the data migration with the extension itself as long as the user is running a Firefox version less than 57 (for example, I and many others have been using the ESR).

Master_Odin already mentioned they planned to integrate the extension+button extension as well, so make sure you guys aren't duplicating each others' work. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I've had a few spare minutes here and there tonight so I used them to get a small head start on things. Integrated the 100% compatible stuff from the posted zip with a few slight modifications into my fork repository so far. Need to work out a good way to support the manifest for cross-browser compatibility, since chrome will give a warning with the `applications` flag we will need for SALR for Firefox (because the extension uses certain APIs that require it) - haven't changed that part in the repository yet. Also need to integrate the other stuff from Serfer's zip (such as the change to the behavior of the down arrow in the page nav) as optional instead of replacing SALR Chrome's behavior wholesale, though, and I'll have to ask 'em about the (WIP?) changes to youtube URL matching. Initial testing seems pretty good, though.

Thanks to Serfer for getting things started!

e: also may have to figure out version numbering, since the legacy Firefox version is a bit higher (4.1.3), but it might not be a big problem if the manifest ends up having to be different anyway

astral fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 29, 2017

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
So correct me if I'm wrong but `applications` flag is used to give a minimum version of Firefox that'll run the app right? It looks like it was made non-mandatory since FIrefox 48 and then since this is a web extension API, it self limits itself to FF57+? Or without it the extension store or whatever would happily try and install the web extension version to old versions of FF that don't support the API?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong but `applications` flag is used to give a minimum version of Firefox that'll run the app right? It looks like it was made non-mandatory since FIrefox 48 and then since this is a web extension API, it self limits itself to FF57+? Or without it the extension store or whatever would happily try and install the web extension version to old versions of FF that don't support the API?

It's mostly used to set the extension's ID for Firefox. My research the other night turned up this note:

quote:

Some WebExtension APIs use the add-on ID and expect it to be the same from one browser session to the next. If you use these APIs, then you must set the ID explicitly using the applications key. This applies to the following APIs:
storage.managed
storage.sync
identity.getRedirectURL
Native messaging
pkcs11
runtime.onMessageExternal
runtime.onConnectExternal
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/WebExtensions_and_the_Add-on_ID#When_do_you_need_an_add-on_ID

which at a quick glance at least two are being used, so it'll probably be necessary.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The last post button on the page navigator doesn't seem to serve any purpose outside of threads in Chrome SALR - I'd like to change it so that button doesn't appear outside of threads, then adjust the navigator width to compensate. Sound good?

Also, there's a difference in behavior for that button in threads between Chrome and Firefox SALR - the chrome version seems to just scroll to the first unread post, if available, while the Firefox version performed the equivalent of clicking the 'Jump to last read post' button from your bookmark list or from a forum, which people like to use to keep up with fast-moving threads.

Serfer replaced it with the Firefox behavior, but for the sake of integration and in case people were relying on the Chrome SALR behavior, I've gone ahead and set it up as a setting instead which defaults to the existing Chrome SALR behavior; the Firefox release itself can then adjust the default setting to switch to the old Firefox behavior.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

astral posted:

The last post button on the page navigator doesn't seem to serve any purpose outside of threads in Chrome SALR - I'd like to change it so that button doesn't appear outside of threads, then adjust the navigator width to compensate. Sound good?

Also, there's a difference in behavior for that button in threads between Chrome and Firefox SALR - the chrome version seems to just scroll to the first unread post, if available, while the Firefox version performed the equivalent of clicking the 'Jump to last read post' button from your bookmark list or from a forum, which people like to use to keep up with fast-moving threads.

Serfer replaced it with the Firefox behavior, but for the sake of integration and in case people were relying on the Chrome SALR behavior, I've gone ahead and set it up as a setting instead which defaults to the existing Chrome SALR behavior; the Firefox release itself can then adjust the default setting to switch to the old Firefox behavior.
So for Firefox, it was reloading the thread with &goto=newpost set?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I've hidden the last post arrow for pages where it did nothing and also went ahead and cleaned up the styling a bit like we discussed. I further set the text-decoration to none on the navigator buttons to remove the tiny little underline between them:

Before (screenshot from Chrome in user control panel):

After: (screenshot from Firefox, so some of the font/popup menu stuff looks different, but you get the idea)

Will package this set of stuff as another pull request a little later.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Progress update:
Got emotes working in Firefox, and about 1/3 done redoing that disabled/removed imgur thing so it'll work.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I've been having trouble getting the live preview thing to work, but that's more a QoL thing that can wait on the back burner.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, will you be attempting to get the old pop-up style quick reply window working? It was great for pulling quotes off of other pages or other threads. Obviously it's not a "immediate fix" thing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I've been having trouble getting the live preview thing to work, but that's more a QoL thing that can wait on the back burner.

I couldn't reproduce this problem, but I was testing in Nightly so that may have been something that was fixed in a later Firefox, or I might have incidentally fixed it for Firefox in the rest of the quick reply fixes/updates I was working on (on that front, imgur is just about done, just need to do some cleanup/polish on it tonight).

iospace posted:

Question, will you be attempting to get the old pop-up style quick reply window working? It was great for pulling quotes off of other pages or other threads. Obviously it's not a "immediate fix" thing.

It would be nice, yes, but not an immediate thing as you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's a bit more interesting one: hitting 'r' to do a reply in thread does not seem to work. I'm making sure on Vimium I'm passing through the command.

• Locked thread