Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Casao posted:

None of those are IN the omnibar, they're on the button bar with the page/wrench icons though. Talking about a tiny icon inside the url bar.

FlashBlock sticks an icon in the URL bar, if you want to test if it's the app itself or extension at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Neurophonic posted:

FlashBlock sticks an icon in the URL bar, if you want to test if it's the app itself or extension at fault.

I just installed it in my home PC (Windows 7) and works like a charm. I'm pretty sure the icon wasn't on the omnibar on my work PC (windows xp), but I'll check tomorrow, and I'll try that extension as well to see if it shows up.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

I just installed it in my home PC (Windows 7) and works like a charm. I'm pretty sure the icon wasn't on the omnibar on my work PC (windows xp), but I'll check tomorrow, and I'll try that extension as well to see if it shows up.

Please do, I'm wondering if there's an XP-specific version of Chrome that has a bug in that feature.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Teddybear posted:

I uninstalled the old one when I installed the new one, and I just uninstalled and reinstalled from the google link. Same thing. :(

I should have some time tomorrow, I'll whip up instructions for you to force it to work.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ferg posted:

Please do, I'm wondering if there's an XP-specific version of Chrome that has a bug in that feature.

Well, I started up the computer today, logged in and, surely enough, there it is. I don't know whether I'm a moron and missed it the first time (wasn't looking at the omnibar but at the buttons to the side, near the wrench) or if the reboot had something to do with it. It's probably the former, but I'm going to say it wasn't there yesterday so I don't feel so bad. v:shobon:v

Quick question (probably not related to the extension): With firefox, when I use the "go to first unread post", it loads the page in the correct "position", then loads all images, which would usually move the page a bit, and then finally snaps back to the first unread post. Chrome isn't doing this, it shows the post but with the image loading I usually en up staring at a whole different post. Any ideas?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, I started up the computer today, logged in and, surely enough, there it is. I don't know whether I'm a moron and missed it the first time (wasn't looking at the omnibar but at the buttons to the side, near the wrench) or if the reboot had something to do with it. It's probably the former, but I'm going to say it wasn't there yesterday so I don't feel so bad. v:shobon:v

Quick question (probably not related to the extension): With firefox, when I use the "go to first unread post", it loads the page in the correct "position", then loads all images, which would usually move the page a bit, and then finally snaps back to the first unread post. Chrome isn't doing this, it shows the post but with the image loading I usually en up staring at a whole different post. Any ideas?

Excellent, glad it fixed itself.

Minor annoyance of mine as well. Right now the extension just links directly to the post, but after images load and all that it will be out of position. I'm not sure if it's Firefox that fixes that or the extension itself, but it's something I've been meaning to look into.

Edit:

brylcreem posted:

Hey,

I'm on probation so I can't post, but maybe Edmond Dantes with the page adjustment problem in the SALR-thread could try toggling the "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads"-option in the forum's User Control Panel?

Awesome extension!

/brylcreem

Teddybear, for your issue try these steps:

1. Right click the omnibar icon and select "Manage extensions"
2. Click on "Developer mode" in the top right corner if it's not already expanded
3. Under the SALR extension, you should see a section for "Inspect Active Views". Click the salr-chrome.html link.
4. When the inspect window pops up, press Esc to make the javascript console appear.
5. In the console, type: localStorage.setItem('highlight-self', 'true')
6. Refresh a forums thread page with your own posts and see if they're highlighting.

If that step works, you can repeat it with the other keys:

highlight-moderator-admin
highlight-original-poster
highlight-friends

Ferg fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 7, 2010

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ferg posted:

Minor annoyance of mine as well. Right now the extension just links directly to the post, but after images load and all that it will be out of position. I'm not sure if it's Firefox that fixes that or the extension itself, but it's something I've been meaning to look into.

I think the extension did it, or at least it would seem so from this option:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Ferg posted:

Teddybear, for your issue try these steps:

1. Right click the omnibar icon and select "Manage extensions"
2. Click on "Developer mode" in the top right corner if it's not already expanded
3. Under the SALR extension, you should see a section for "Inspect Active Views". Click the salr-chrome.html link.
4. When the inspect window pops up, press Esc to make the javascript console appear.
5. In the console, type: localStorage.setItem('highlight-self', 'true')
6. Refresh a forums thread page with your own posts and see if they're highlighting.

If that step works, you can repeat it with the other keys:

highlight-moderator-admin
highlight-original-poster
highlight-friends

I've done that, and it hasn't worked. Local storage shows that highlight-self and highlight-moderator-admin/original-poster/friends are all set to "true," but none of them seem to be working. I don't know much about javascript code, but it doesn't seem like the script is calling these settings anywhere.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ferg posted:

brylcreem posted:

Hey,

I'm on probation so I can't post, but maybe Edmond Dantes with the page adjustment problem in the SALR-thread could try toggling the "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads"-option in the forum's User Control Panel?

Awesome extension!

Tried that, didn't work. :(

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Tried that, didn't work. :(
Try enabling the feature that replaces images with links in read posts in SALR. Might make it better.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Teddybear posted:

I've done that, and it hasn't worked. Local storage shows that highlight-self and highlight-moderator-admin/original-poster/friends are all set to "true," but none of them seem to be working. I don't know much about javascript code, but it doesn't seem like the script is calling these settings anywhere.

Could you list all of the settings you have enabled? Maybe you've got some whacky configuration that's making these settings trip up.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm trying Chrome out... what's the status of Quick Reply? I use it TONS as a mod.

Also, is there any Mouse Gesture thread navigation in development?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aatrek posted:

I'm trying Chrome out... what's the status of Quick Reply? I use it TONS as a mod.

Also, is there any Mouse Gesture thread navigation in development?

Last I checked there was no official API yet for Chrome extensions to create a popup window. Just waiting on that, then I'll continue implementing it. It's almost entirely usable in it's current state, just awkward due to the popup blocker.

Mouse gestures has been mentioned a bit, but no work/plans yet. Vote it up on Uservoice if you want to get it some attention.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I just looked at the uservoice thing. I will post the necessary CSS for the nice blockquote stuff.

code:
/*SA OP Color change.*/
.oppost
	{
		background-color: #FFF2AA !important; 
		/*border-collapse: collapse*/
	}

.bbc-block 
	{ 
		background-color: white !important; 
		border: 1px solid black !important; 
		padding: 0px !important; 
	}

.bbc-block h4 
	{ 
		border: none !important; 
		border-bottom: 1px solid black !important; 
		font-style: normal !important; 
		padding: 3px !important; 
	}

.salrQuoteOfSelf h4 
	{ 
		background-color: #C691D9 !important; 
	} 

.bbc-block blockquote 
	{ 
		padding: 7px 7px 7px 7px !important; 
	}
This is if someone quotes you.

code:
.salrQuoteOfSelf h4 
        { 
              background-color: #C691D9 !important; 
        } 

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Ferg posted:

Could you list all of the settings you have enabled? Maybe you've got some whacky configuration that's making these settings trip up.

Own post, friend post, OP post, mod/admin post highlighting on.

Configure SALR in forum header, Don't use Jump Buttons, Page Navigator on.

Restrict size of images on.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

calandryll posted:

I just looked at the uservoice thing. I will post the necessary CSS for the nice blockquote stuff.

It has actually been added by me, it's just a matter of when Ferg pulls it from my repository. :shobon:

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

It has actually been added by me, it's just a matter of when Ferg pulls it from my repository. :shobon:

Yeah sorry, currently in transition between jobs so I've been distracted. I should have it merged sometime after next week though when I take a little hiatus.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Just wanna say that this port was what drove me to jump ship from Firefox, really like it right now in it's infancy, hopefully the Mouse Gestures can be implemented soon. One feature I liked from the FF version was that the Replies notch on forums would be highlighted Yellow if you posted on that thread. Any easy way to implement this?

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 27, 2010

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dusty udder smoker posted:

Just wanna say that this port was what drove me to jump ship from Firefox, really like it right now in it's infancy, hopefully the Mouse Gestures can be implemented soon. One feature I liked from the FF version was that the Replies notch on forums would be highlighted Yellow if you posted on that thread. Any easy way to implement this?

I can think of a way that can be done, yeah. I'll look into getting it implemented.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

probably a little ridiculous to suggest, but for the quick reply issue, would it be possible for it to embed a dialog box/mini reply box at the bottom of the page rather than a pop up?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

probably a little ridiculous to suggest, but for the quick reply issue, would it be possible for it to embed a dialog box/mini reply box at the bottom of the page rather than a pop up?

Yeah actually that would be very doable. It would eliminate the possibility of trying to submit a reply while on the wrong page as well.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

I'd like to second this suggestion. Feels like a pretty neat thing to have.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

any word on when these features might get implemented?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

any word on when these features might get implemented?

I'm starting a new job this week and have been a bit wrapped up. I'll try and find some time to put something together soon.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
I know Ferg's busy but if anyone can help me try to figure out how to disable thread highlighting that'd be awesome. I love SALR but to me I just can't use it at all with thread highlighting enabled. I even tried making the colors the same as the stock forums but it's just not what I want because it still adds a gradient to it.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Zeph posted:

I know Ferg's busy but if anyone can help me try to figure out how to disable thread highlighting that'd be awesome. I love SALR but to me I just can't use it at all with thread highlighting enabled. I even tried making the colors the same as the stock forums but it's just not what I want because it still adds a gradient to it.

I really should get around to adding a toggle for that, as it's also stopping me from using it.

I've just been too lazy to actually read through the highlighting code so I could add a switch for it.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

I really should get around to adding a toggle for that, as it's also stopping me from using it.

I've just been too lazy to actually read through the highlighting code so I could add a switch for it.

Shading occurs between lines 186 and 205 in salr.js (http://github.com/scottferg/salr-chrome/blob/master/js/salr.js). You should just have to add the option and wrap it there.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

Ferg posted:

Shading occurs between lines 186 and 205 in salr.js (http://github.com/scottferg/salr-chrome/blob/master/js/salr.js). You should just have to add the option and wrap it there.
Awesome, thanks. I didn't bother adding a toggle, I just commented that block of code out and it works just fine.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Ferg posted:

Ah laziness. I just added a toggle for updateStyling. Should probably be more split-up, but then again, it was just a quick fix for myself.

In other news, it seems pretty messy that we have to keep track of essentially the same (by now pretty huge) list in two places in toolstrip-handler.js; there must be a way we could cut down on the size of it.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

Ah laziness. I just added a toggle for updateStyling. Should probably be more split-up, but then again, it was just a quick fix for myself.

In other news, it seems pretty messy that we have to keep track of essentially the same (by now pretty huge) list in two places in toolstrip-handler.js; there must be a way we could cut down on the size of it.

Agreed, and this has been on my mind for a while now. wmbest2 and I already cut down on the requirements to add a feature considerably earlier on in the extensions life, but at this point (and I'm not reading the code at this second so I may be a little off) I believe the CSS ID's would have to be renamed to create a 1-to-1 system for adding a new setting. Unfortunately, doing this would wipe out any existing user's settings. So it's a question if everybody using the extension is willing to tear off the bandaid to make our lives easier, or if that's too inconvenient.

Thinking about it now, there's hardly enough settings for anybody to get their panties in a twist if they had to reconfigure them all. Maybe it would be a good idea to just go for it.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Ferg posted:

Agreed, and this has been on my mind for a while now. wmbest2 and I already cut down on the requirements to add a feature considerably earlier on in the extensions life, but at this point (and I'm not reading the code at this second so I may be a little off) I believe the CSS ID's would have to be renamed to create a 1-to-1 system for adding a new setting. Unfortunately, doing this would wipe out any existing user's settings. So it's a question if everybody using the extension is willing to tear off the bandaid to make our lives easier, or if that's too inconvenient.

Thinking about it now, there's hardly enough settings for anybody to get their panties in a twist if they had to reconfigure them all. Maybe it would be a good idea to just go for it.

go with whatever is easiest, I don't use it to the extent where it would kill me to reset everything. In fact, it would take me like 5 seconds to set everything (the settings are well laid out).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ferg posted:

Just go for it.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just go for it.

Working on it. I'll have some progress pushed out to Github tonight, or hopefully the whole deal.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That was easy. For everybody concerned from a development side, here's the commit: http://github.com/scottferg/salr-chrome/commit/d46dfda414dba7c4a7b155f98ba3c46789e4321f

New API essentially determines a settings internal name by how you set it on the settings page HTML. All setting ID's are camel-cased, no questions asked. If you add the setting to the settings page, you can then access it immediately from the content script when we render it on the page.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Here's question for you:

When jumping to the "Last Unread Post," is there any way for the browser to reposition itself back to the post after the images on the page load?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Aatrek posted:

Here's question for you:

When jumping to the "Last Unread Post," is there any way for the browser to reposition itself back to the post after the images on the page load?

Option in forums control panel: Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads
Meant to readjust the page after images load (currently buggy in IE6)

This should do it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Well heck. Thanks.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Aatrek posted:

Well heck. Thanks.

Bonus is it's stored forums-side so you get it everywhere without SALR.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Bonus is it's stored forums-side so you get it everywhere without SALR.

Negative, bonus is it wasn't my issue to fix in SALR ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!

Casao posted:

Option in forums control panel: Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads
Meant to readjust the page after images load (currently buggy in IE6)

This should do it.

This doesn't work for me :(

• Locked thread