Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

It was broken on a past version of Chrome Beta but is fixed now in the current version.

Okay, must have just been a fluke then. I'm only running stable these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

I use SALR for Chrome and I've recently changed computers. Is there any way to copy the user notes I accumulated over the years? Where are they stored?

Nope, they're stored locally. I suppose with Drive integration now I could probably whip something up if its a desired enough feature.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

Yeah, I imagined they'd be stored locally, my question is precisely where are they stored locally and if I can copy that file to the new computer. I still haven't formatted the old one so I could copy the file where the notes are stored to the new machine. Would such a thing work? Which file/folder would I need to copy/replace?

Ah sorry, its just in browser local storage. You'll have to open up the extension manager, turn on developer mode, inspect background.html for SALR and then show the developer tools on the page. Local storage is under one of the tabs, posting from my phone so I don't remember exactly.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zen Punk posted:

In the SALR plug-in for Firefox, if you right-click the page and release the mouse button without selecting any of the mouse-gesture buttons, it then brings up the browser's context menu, where you can copy, save pages/images, etc.

In the Chrome SALR, the context menu never appears when you right-click on forums pages. It is really frustrating not being able to use the context menu without disabling SALR. Is the firefox behavior something you could implement?

This is a really really old bug. I did have it working once and then goofed it up and never got it straightened out again.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Whooaaa just noticed the forums changes tonight (haven't been logging on much). Report any bugs here: https://github.com/scottferg/salr-chrome/issues

On the surface everything is looking good, but there will probably be a feature here or there that bugs out.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Steakandchips posted:

Ferg, can you add an option to un-2013 the forums via SALR?

The new 2013 format of the forums is painful.

No

Aatrek posted:

Reported a bug relating to the mark-as-unread threadlisting button.

LastInLine posted:

I reported my two bugs.

Thankya gents. I noticed keyboard shortcuts no longer work as well. Hacking away right now.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just pushed a v1.5.0 update that fixes the quick nav and the "open updated threads" button.

I'm not entirely sure about this bug Aatrek: https://github.com/scottferg/salr-chrome/issues/44

As far as I can tell, it works for me though it seems kind of clunky and just removes the buttons but the color remains. Maybe I'm getting the use case wrong? I've hit the X on both threads that have unread posts as well as threads that don't have unread posts, both from the User CP and the thread list.

I had to do a lot of under the hood poo poo to get this up since I haven't done an update in forever and Chrome has been deprecating a lot of APIs. There's only two casualties right now: the Fancy SA detector (which I assume is way broken now) and the Imgur uploader in the Quick Reply. I'll get both re-added soon, just trying to figure out these new security policies and why things are breaking.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's weird it should validate the manifest when I upload...looking into it

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Fixed the manifest, so 1.5.1 should be installable now.

Aatrek posted:

When I hit the red X in this case:

It simply takes me to the first page of the thread, and does not mark the thread as unread.

Weird it wasn't doing that before but it is now. I'll take a look.

Edit: 1.5.2 is up with a minor tweak that looks like it fixes it (still seeing off and on behavior without the fix though)

Ferg fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 1, 2013

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I'm on 1.5.2 now and the quick nav is still broken. The down spot is still below the right arrow and now it only gives me the option to go to the next page and not back. Worse it will let me go to the next page even if it doesn't exist.

Can you take a screenshot?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

Won't be home until tomorrow morning but I will then.

Cool thanks

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SirJoeKCB posted:

Sounds like he's talking about the gestures ui.

It comes up for me on the forumdisplay page, but not on showthread.

Ooooh that. I thought you meant the down arrow on the page nav. Okay, easily fixable. It's the same reason the page nav wasn't working right before shouldn't take too long.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Rolling out a fix for the mouse gestures overlay now. Basically any feature that required knowing what page you were on got fried since that part of the forums got "overhauled" in the HTML. Let me know if you guys find anything else.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I opened an Issue on Github but I'll post about it here too in case it's user-fixable and I don't know it. The thread highlighting isn't showing the same colors that the SALR settings page shows. It seems like they show up for a split second while the page is loading, then get covered by the wrong colors. I've tried turning off thread highlighting in the SA options and nothing changes. I've turned off thread highlighting in SALR and it makes all thread coloring disappear even though the SA option is still turned on. Here is a side-by-side example.

edit: all of my usernotes seem to have been wiped out :negative:

Never used usernotes, don't know much about the feature, can't say a ton there. Likelihood is that Chrome settings changed and that wiped the notes out.

I saw your bug report come in. It's a minor issue in my eyes. The preview shown by the settings page is a copy of the styling for the forums. Obviously since the styling for the forums changed, the settings page changed. Not a huge issue to fix, shouldn't take long.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

Ferg, are you interested in a list of things that are broken or working weirdly in general? I don't mean stuff that broke with the CSS changes but rather all the little things that I've been ignoring that are broken. I figured you were busy and didn't really feel like maintaining this beyond making sure it isn't completely nonfunctional but if you want a laundry list of little broken things to fix I've got a few.

Small things are good. I've passed Awful onto other contributors so I haven't been busy with that for a while. SALR isn't terribly demanding so if you find nagging issues or whatever just let me know. I'm expecting more than a handful currently since I had to update so much under-the-hood stuff to make it work with the latest Chrome APIs.

Oldstench posted:

Mark as unread button is still taking me to the first page of the thread on v.1.5.3. Thanks for rolling out fixes so quickly.

I'm a little lost on this one. The button operates via a jQuery click handler that the forums sets, all I'm doing in the extension is changing some CSS properties and it loses the handler *sometimes*. It's working for me though :iiam:

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Honestly the only reason I use SALR is for the thread highlighting to distinguish between previously opened threads with unread posts and threads that have been read.. It'd be awesome if the colours got fixed soon :)

That was the main reason I wrote it. That and quick reply.

How are they broken? The settings menu doesn't have the new gradient styling but the colors are still showing.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Relambrien posted:

I posted about that earlier, here's a screenshot demonstrating the specific problem:

The top three threads are set to #FFFFFF and are still significantly darker than the coloring for threads I haven't entered at all (which SALR doesn't touch), pretty much the entire way through the gradient. It makes seeing the text really hard no matter how light the color you choose, because the background ends up dark anyway.

I'm a little baffled by this, the extension replaces all background styling and places the gradient image. As far as I can tell it shouldn't behave any differently from before (the settings page and the screenshot above are the exact same thing). It looks like the gradient used in the background image shows up darker with the new forums styling. Any CSS gurus have some thoughts?

Oldstench posted:

OK, I've narrowed it down to only happening when the "Display new post counts inline" option is checked. If that option is unset, it works.

Boom got it. Still not sure why it was broken, but tested and fixed.

Zeph posted:

I may have some free time this weekend to help iron some bugs out. Thanks to the others who have been so far!

Contributions always appreciated!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JingleBells posted:

I think I've noticed an issue in that the page navigator box is appearing even if I'm viewing a single page thread (and thus have no other pages for it to navigate to) - I don't think it did this before the redesign?

It did. Not really worth handling since there's technically the jump to bottom button that's still relevant.

SirJoeKCB posted:

Looks like it's the background-position. Getting rid of that property fixes the color, but it causes alignment issues with the star column. I think if you insert the same properties you do for the other columns it'll work.

Boom. Thank you sir.

Edit: Pushed the mark unread and gradient fixes. The star column has always been an issue, I'll get to that later.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 3, 2013

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Master_Odin posted:

Submitted pull request that fixes the issue.

ferg used append instead of prepend in salr.js on line 322.

Whoops. Grabbing your changes now.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Any CSS gurus know how to force a "content" CSS property to be overridden? I've tried:

code:
.no-after:after {
    content: "";
}

$('a.count').addClass('no-after');
and
code:
$(this).css('content', '');
Neither seems to work. Just toggling the "content" property off in the Chrome dev tools doesn't work either. The blue button spam seems to be a repeat on the background, easily addressable but hardly passing with this weird > hanging out there.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ooookay, got some assistance from a goon via Gtalk. Just pushed out v1.5.5 that fixes the issue.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is this ever going to make it into the extension?

I thought I released this? I'm on a fresh machine right now, it's working fine for me.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Folks, since this is basically the first time I've logged into the forums since the CSS update happened (and that was the first time in months) Master_Odin has stepped up to take on full maintenance of the extension. We're working on the transition to get everybody over to his fork that he can manage updates for, since the existing one is tied to my Google account.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Folks, OP is updated with the new links. Head there to update to Master Odin's branch.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I actually did write a Safari extension around the same time I wrote this but there was zero interest in it. It lives in the same codebase as the Chrome extension (or at least did). It wouldn't be terribly difficult for somebody to get it going again and retain upstream changes across both browsers.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

The only thing I like about quick reply is the smiley thing. That is really awesome but not worth it for me personally. Shame if he's gonna shut that down for reasons.

If he breaks the awful app though that will be disappointing.

It's been ages since I wrote it but if I recall correctly when Quick Reply is enabled it makes a request to the normal post page to fetch the request key used to authenticate the post submission. It's possible that the token just expired while you were writing the post.

Edit: and that was submitted with Quick Reply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Master_Odin posted:

Well, to make a post, SA requires two things, a "form cookie"and a "form key". The form key is user specific and the form cookie is session/post specific. It used to be that SALR fetched the form key the first time you visited any page on SA and saved that with getting the form cookie each time you used the Quick Reply. I've changed it such that both of these are now gotten every time you open the Quick Reply as a user was having an issue with it not working right as multiple SA accounts were being used on the same computer. Anytime either of these are wrong though, you get the above error.

Aha, yep I do recall that now. Good call on the change.

• Locked thread