Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonisi
Sep 25, 2008
Wait you can re-take classes in the US and have that count?, wow. I failed one course (i.e. <50 was a bad semster, never went to any class other issues etc) and they make you re-do it. I did and got a distinction however only your first mark counts for your final results.

Either way I will still come out with a pretty decent mark and graduate on time (yay for overloading) but I would be stoked if they calculated my final grades with the new mark rather than the old one.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
You don't get the new mark. The amount you can raise your grade is limited and I don't think the new grade replaces the old one like it never happened. I don't really remember, I was thinking of retaking classes for graduate school but gpa isn't all that importaint it turns out.

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009
So, I have a question for the nuclear engineers out there.

I'm in my third year of studying EE and after third year, the school lets us go on an internship for 12-16 months. I'm really interested in working in power and specifically, in working with nuclear power. What're the chances that I could get an internship with a company that deals with nuclear power (either at the plant itself or with distributing the power)? I live in Canada, but I'm willing to travel.

I guess part of the problem is there's no specific stream for nuclear engineers at my school, and the EE path only dabbles in power electronics until the third year. I'm going to be taking a course on energy systems next semester, but that's all I'll really have under my belt except for a few circuits courses, numerical methods and a statistics class. Would I have a shot at an internship, or would I just have to do my undergrad and find a school that has a Master's program for NE?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 10, 2023

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

Colmface posted:

I'm in my third year of studying EE and after third year, the school lets us go on an internship for 12-16 months. I'm really interested in working in power and specifically, in working with nuclear power. What're the chances that I could get an internship with a company that deals with nuclear power (either at the plant itself or with distributing the power)? I live in Canada, but I'm willing to travel.

I guess part of the problem is there's no specific stream for nuclear engineers at my school, and the EE path only dabbles in power electronics until the third year. I'm going to be taking a course on energy systems next semester, but that's all I'll really have under my belt except for a few circuits courses, numerical methods and a statistics class. Would I have a shot at an internship, or would I just have to do my undergrad and find a school that has a Master's program for NE?

You have a shot at an internship. Try Ontario Power Generation and Bruce Power as your big guys.

Are you at U of T? If so, my company hires PEY students. When you apply for a PEY job, you should see our listings.

Honestly, we hire more mechs and chems than elecs. In my year, I was the only elec new grad hired out of almost two dozen. I think they hired two the next year, out of maybe 30 new grads.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Lunchbox42
Jul 31, 2006

Colmface posted:

Getting an internship at a plant is easy enough, the nuke I work at is always on the prowl for interns, also if you go to a big generation companies like Exelon or Progress (both US companies) there should be plenty of opportunity out there, I'm not positive what the criteria is for citizenship to get an internship position, but if you're interested I can probably find out for you.

One thing to note though, is there's a huge difference between being in the generation side and the distribution side, particularly with nuclear. If you do decide to work in a nuke be prepared for miles of paperwork for every change, and being held to a very high level of scrutiny.

And, getting into nuclear with an EE degree, you can move into a systems engineering or design type position at a nuke depending on your qualifications. One good thing is the rate of people retiring is making new engineers much more attractive. But, bonified nuclear engineers are reactor engineers that do rod patterns and core flux calcs and all sorts of stuff like that. If you want to do that you have to go to a school that has a program specifically for it.

If you want any more insight into engineering at a US nuclear plant, feel free to PM me.

snusnu
Oct 12, 2004

B.S. in Systems Engineering here. Just graduated, been in the work force for roughly two months.

There was roughly a one month period where I just sat around playing Minesweeper while they were giving me trivial tasks ("Hey you, overpaid secretary! We need you to change the color schemes in this Excel spreadsheet!"). Now I'm actually utilizing the tools I learned in school. Ask me stuff.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Colmface posted:

Have you looked into the US Navy's nuclear officer pipeline? They send you to school for a year where you get taught reactor control theory and also qualify operating a landbased critical plant and then ship you off to a nuclear carrier or submarine. From what I've heard the experience is good to have on a resume and the pay isn't bad either.

You have to pass an interview with the admiral in DC but you don't have to be a nuclear engineer graduate, just have an aptitude to learn it.

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 13, 2009

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

lightpole posted:

Im a Marine Engineer. Ive worked in several power plants and onboard ships. Im considering taking a field service position with my current company.

Ive been working at $75K+ since before I graduated. I still have plenty of offers above 80 even at this time. Im never in an office and work with my hands and improve my skills every day. I love my degree.

Sup fellow Marine Engineer!

Who have you been working for and where did you get your degree from?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

BeefofAges posted:

This isn't really the sort of thing that needs to go on a resume, but you might get asked if you like travel during an interview. Usually positions that require travel will say so in the job listing.

It depends entirely on the type of industry. There are all sorts of places where this might not be necessarily required, but having people willing to head to the field for a few weeks is an absolutely huge bonus. If you're applying for somewhere where it could help, put it in your cover letter.

No job listings for my company mention travel unless it's an actual job where you'd be seconded to a client but I can promise you that saying you'd be willing to travel, or enjoy travelling in your cover letter would make you jump quite a number of spots up the list.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cicero posted:

Good idea, this is a much better thing to say than my real reason: "It pays well for an on-campus job and half the time I'm getting paid to do homework."

Remember that a job interview is one of the few times where it's completely acceptable to be a braggart with an ego the size of the room. That's the point. You're trying to convince these guys that they should hire you instead of the other people they're looking at.

You have a decent GPA with tutoring experience which says 'not only do I actually understand this stuff well enough to qualify being a tutor, but I can actually communicate these ideas and techniques to others!" No matter how much nerds will hate it being a decent programmer with good communication skills is a thousand times better than being an excellent programmer who has the social skills of a rock.

You should be fine.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Thoguh posted:

GPA isn't everything, but for that first job it needs to pass an arbitrary threshold so that companies even bother to look at your resume. After that first job nobody gives a crap.
It matters less, but it still matters. It will always be there on your resume; if you don't put it, people will assume it's even worse than what it actually is, so you HAVE to put it. Some companies will even require it, and require you to submit a transcript. So no matter how hot your poo poo is through your 30 year career, if you've got this 2.3GPA or whatever on your resume, you will be judged by it like it's a quantitative measurement of your intelligence or work capacity or whatnot.

Mongolian Squid posted:

Have you looked into the US Navy's nuclear officer pipeline?
Would be a long and difficult process for him, since he's Canadian.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 13, 2009

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

grover posted:

It matters less, but it still matters. It will always be there on your resume; if you don't put it, people will assume it's even worse than what it actually is, so you HAVE to put it. Some companies will even require it, and require you to submit a transcript. So no matter how hot your poo poo is through your 30 year career, and you've got this 2.5GPA or whatever on your resume, and you will be judged by it like it's a quantitative measurement of your intelligence or work capacity or whatnot.

Really? That's ridiculous. I don't think I even put my average on my first job application and I certainly wouldn't do it now and I'm only three years out of school. I wouldn't even know what my university average was without finding a transcript and actually checking.

I guess it's a difference in countries or industries or something. Grades are completely irrelevant once you've got even a small amount of actual experience.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

grover posted:

It will always be there on your resume; if you don't put it, people will assume it's even worse than what it actually is, so you HAVE to put it.

I don't think this is true. If I saw a resume with more than a few years of work experience on it and the GPA was listed, I would find that strange.

As for the thread at large, I'm a chemical engineer, currently in a Ph.D. program. I would never want to work in industry as a Bachelor's level ChE process engineer (and all my former classmates who do seem to hate it), but I find the research side of chemical engineering very interesting.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

I got my BSc in Engineering-Physics.

I'm currently working on a PhD in economics. An engineering background is awesome. I get a bunch of opportunities because of my undergrad degree.

So, even if people aren't planning on going into engineering or the hard sciences they should seriously consider getting an undergrad degree in it anyway.

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009

Mongolian Squid posted:

Have you looked into the US Navy's nuclear officer pipeline? They send you to school for a year where you get taught reactor control theory and also qualify operating a landbased critical plant and then ship you off to a nuclear carrier or submarine. From what I've heard the experience is good to have on a resume and the pay isn't bad either.

You have to pass an interview with the admiral in DC but you don't have to be a nuclear engineer graduate, just have an aptitude to learn it.

I don't think the US Navy will hire a Canadian. :shobon: But thanks for the info everyone!

Phlegmbot posted:

You have a shot at an internship. Try Ontario Power Generation and Bruce Power as your big guys.

Are you at U of T? If so, my company hires PEY students. When you apply for a PEY job, you should see our listings.

Honestly, we hire more mechs and chems than elecs. In my year, I was the only elec new grad hired out of almost two dozen. I think they hired two the next year, out of maybe 30 new grads.

PM me if you have any more questions.

I'm actually at U of C. And I don't have plat. :[

Colmface fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 14, 2009

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Thoguh posted:

Exactly, it's only on the first one because the companies don't have anything else to judge you on. Once you get past entry level there's no reason you would need to continue to include it. At that point your worth is defined by your skills and accomplishments in your prior jobs.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt you to list it if you wanted, but it isn't expected in any way, at least not in the US.
It must depend on the hiring company, then, as my experience has been that everyone wants to see GPA and some even want to see a college transcript. If the hiring company knows you, then it probably doesn't mean much, since they already know your worth. Or if there were few qualified applicants, then everyone gets an interview. For big companies, government, etc, there's plenty on your resume to judge quantity and type of experience, but not a whole lot else to tell your quality.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 14, 2009

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

The Juggernaut posted:

Sup fellow Marine Engineer!

Who have you been working for and where did you get your degree from?

Graduated from California Maritime.

Spent a couple years at a 118MW natural gas reciprocating plant. I left because there is a limit to advancement in skills and experience as well as in the company. Since then Ive picked up some random 3rds jobs to pay bills. Right now Im working for Solar Turbines Inc. and trying to figure out what I want to do when this job is up in 2 weeks.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

lightpole posted:

Right now Im working for Solar Turbines Inc. and trying to figure out what I want to do when this job is up in 2 weeks.
Not to interject work into this thread, but I'm trying to get some of the engineering data for a pair of 25 year old solar turbines (X"d of the attached generators, specifically)- is that something you have access to if I can give you the model/frame# of the units?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

SubCrid TC posted:

It depends entirely on the type of industry. There are all sorts of places where this might not be necessarily required, but having people willing to head to the field for a few weeks is an absolutely huge bonus. If you're applying for somewhere where it could help, put it in your cover letter.

No job listings for my company mention travel unless it's an actual job where you'd be seconded to a client but I can promise you that saying you'd be willing to travel, or enjoy travelling in your cover letter would make you jump quite a number of spots up the list.

That's interesting. What industry are you in?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

grover posted:

Not to interject work into this thread, but I'm trying to get some of the engineering data for a pair of 25 year old solar turbines (X"d of the attached generators, specifically)- is that something you have access to if I can give you the model/frame# of the units?

I doubt it. The local FSR's can't help you out? They will have more resources than me.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Am I gonna get an engineering job eventually? I have a BS in ME with a 3.6 GPA from a Top 20 university and still nothing :smith:

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
You can definitely get a job, but where are you looking (both location and industry-wise)?

You may not be interested, but mining corporations are somehow hiring, and may be worth looking into. Pay is great, you can live anywhere you want (dependent upon what mining industry you go into), and they have a use for M.E. just like anyone else. You might have to do some dogshit work for a little while, but its a start in an industry where you can move through the ranks quickly.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
BS in Industrial Engineering as of this past May (can I be an engineer, too?)... so a great job market.

Graduated with something around a 2.6 GPA (no internship or co-op) because I never studied and pretty much hated everything revolving around manufacturing facilities (I signed up for the human factors correlating with software side that I never saw). Got a job in telecomm 2 weeks after I graduated as an intern, proved I was not a mouth-breather, and got brought on as a contractor with pretty good pay and a relatively long contract (hiring freezes are fun).

Moral of the story? Learn to interview well.

Going back for a MBA in Finance in a year or two.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
I have another question for the Nuclear Engineers (I don't have PM.) Currently I'm doing a dual major with Physics/Nuclear Engineering. Would this be considered totally useless or does it have any value? (Some of my Physics courses are exempted out by NE courses, so it isn't ridiculous work load.)

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Besides the $$$ why would someone want to be an engineer? For example what are some cool things engineers get to do?

What is the most interesting field in engineering and why?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Let me answer this for everyone: Mine, because I majored in it.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Huskalator posted:

Besides the $$$ why would someone want to be an engineer? For example what are some cool things engineers get to do?

Because I get to travel the world on someone else's money. And get paid to do it.

Serious answer: It's a very satisfying job if you choose well. I get to make things the entire world needs, play with the sort of machinery 99.9% of people only see on tv, and get to go all sorts of exotic places to do it. The money ain't bad either.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Huskalator posted:

I quite honestly enjoy engineering. I do it for a living, and I do it for fun in my spare time! Just like any other job, there are aspects I don't like, but I enjoy the satisfaction of developing and completing a design and seeing it come to life.

Also, I get to travel the world on someone else's money. And get paid to do it.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
Anyone working as a Control, Automation or SCADA Engineer?

I'm currently studying Mechatronics/Robotics as a mature age student (3 years out of 6 done, I'm studying at 3/4 rate), after spending about 8 years programming AMX/Crestron control systems. (completed a Diploma of Programming (Visual Basic) after I finished high school)

How's the industry? I was hoping to get into some sort of infrastructure control (ie, water, wastewaster, maybe power -- although I think power might be better covered by EE's) when I graduate.

Anyway, got my last class for the year in just under 2 hours, should get back to studying.

Chadula
May 7, 2004
Its not that I don't know you that I don't trust you its 'cause I do know you that I don't trust you.
I have a BSEE. During my undergrad I worked at Dow Chemical for a year total. (Co-op program) During that time I saved enough money and paid for school. I.e no bills. Then I got a job working for the Navy at Cherry Point NC. That job involved supporting the marines with all the helicopters and Jets they used. I lived on the beach and told people about how there aircraft worked. It was neat.

But there wasn't any women, and advancement just wasn't there. I then got a offer to come back to school and get my Masters and Phd. All paid for by the university. Specifically, I'm studying Electromagnetics and I'll be school for the next 4 years.

Plus side is I probably won't have to worry about money when I'm done, negative is I'm going to live poor for another 4 years.

Ask me any questions you like.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

BeefofAges posted:

That's interesting. What industry are you in?

I'm a structural engineer. I generally work industrial stuff, and at the moment it's mostly oil and gas. The travelling thing seems to be the case for most consultants I've met who work in the resource industry, or in heavy construction or in large scale power or machinery.

Basically, anything that costs a lot of money and is too big to bring to the people doing the engineering work will result in the engineers having to send someone to go look at the site and figure out what the field conditions actually are and what you're going to do with them. In some cases you have to send one of the really experienced guys to figure things out, but if they can possibly avoid it they tend to send the young guys.

Power, electrical/controls and mechanical also tend to have to send guys for commissioning new industrial systems.

I'm not talking long term assignments, which can happen as well. I'm talking more two day to two week trips.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Said a guy in my office, "engineers generate paper. Thats what we do" :what:

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I generate code and bug reports.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 10, 2023

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Huskalator posted:

Working in a power plant I ran 14 Wartsila 20V34SG natural gas recip's with an output of 8.439 MW each. I had to start and stop them according to load, do general troubleshooting as the plant was brand new and the engines had a lot of problems and help with the overall plant maintenance.

As a 3rd A/E Ive worked on steam and slow speed diesel power plants. A slow speed diesel is the biggest engine you will ever see while a running steam plant is the greatest thing ever.

My current job is just maintenance on two Taurus 60 gas turbine generators and the plant auxiliaries and steam and condensate from the campus buildings. I interviewed for a field service position several weeks ago that involved the company flying me out and having me work with the district reps for a week and a half. There is a lot of commissioning work which involves installing engines, gas compressors, generators and EMD's.

The main reason I love my job, aside from the travel and money, is always having to learn something new or finding new problems to solve. I get bored doing the same thing every day and it just becomes a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

If you are really looking for money engineering isn't the way to go anyways, sure we start high, but we also cap off fairly quickly if you don't move into management.

This isn't really much of a statement because everyone that is making the big bucks is actually in management.