Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am 27 years old, BBA in IT/MIS/CIS/whatever, MBA in Finance and am not happy since I'm trying to change jobs and barely getting interviews, feel like I'm in a rut, etc. Would there be any advice about me going back to school for an Engineering degree? Possibly electrical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

Dangbe posted:

More Info:
I am specifically interested in alternate energy creation. So after doing a lot of reading today I was thinking Power/Mechanical Engineering...

edit: Does this sound more like something Environmental Engineering would cover?

Environmental Engineering is more like the clean up crew to the devastation a Mining Engineer would create. You'd be doing permits, reclaimation plans, that kind of thing. If you wanted to help CREATE alternate energies, I'd get into something like ME or EE. If you want to gently caress around with current energies, I'd get a degree in Mining and Minerals (sub for Petroleum) Engineering, EE, or Nuclear.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Roumba posted:

I royally hosed myself hard the last two semesters and dropped my GPA to ~2.25 at the end of my sophomore year. Because of this I've no hope of getting any kind of intern/coop because every one I see requesting Nuclear Engineering has minimum GPA requirements that I don't meet. Should I just switch majors now, or try to claw my way back up and hope that by the end of the next 2/3 years I'll be an attractive candidate for a job?

I just really don't want to work my rear end off in this awesome major if at the end I'll have to look outside the field for any kind of employment. Does anyone have any advice for this stupid kid?

Your GPA is going to follow you to whatever other major you choose. I would just stick it out and stop slacking off if I was you.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

DNova posted:

Your GPA is going to follow you to whatever other major you choose. I would just stick it out and stop slacking off if I was you.

Basically this.

Also, doing research might compensate a bit for the crappy GPA.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Roumba posted:

I royally hosed myself hard the last two semesters and dropped my GPA to ~2.25 at the end of my sophomore year. Because of this I've no hope of getting any kind of intern/coop because every one I see requesting Nuclear Engineering has minimum GPA requirements that I don't meet. Should I just switch majors now, or try to claw my way back up and hope that by the end of the next 2/3 years I'll be an attractive candidate for a job?

I just really don't want to work my rear end off in this awesome major if at the end I'll have to look outside the field for any kind of employment. Does anyone have any advice for this stupid kid?

The good news is after about 3 years of work experience your GPA won't matter. Its going to be tough in a bad economy, but I've seen people with worse get internships in a decent economy. A lot of large corporate interships are about being related to someone who works there anyway. Try getting any sort of "technical sounding" work either as a glorified laborer tech or as a university undergrad lab assistant. The pay for the latter will be terrible, but at least its something for your resume.

Gatts posted:

I am 27 years old, BBA in IT/MIS/CIS/whatever, MBA in Finance and am not happy since I'm trying to change jobs and barely getting interviews, feel like I'm in a rut, etc. Would there be any advice about me going back to school for an Engineering degree? Possibly electrical?

Just don't do like general engineering or engineering management, your MBA will probably supersede that anyway. Systems engineering would probably be most at home, the problem is systems engineering as a specific academic field is all over the place. Some programs will be very project management "MBA-like", some will be very mathematical simulation based and some will be like a variation of electrical.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 20, 2009

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Roumba posted:

Yikes, is there any way you can retake courses or correct why your GPA crashed so hard? If you were around a 2.6-2.7 I'd tell you to stick in there, but you might want to consider other options.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 10, 2023

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009
Me and my girlfriend are both juniors in EE and currently are trying to find internships/co-ops for the summer. I think I have a decent shot at getting one because of an internship last summer, but she's really worried about not finding an internship which she equates with being able to find a job upon graduation.

Did anyone here find themselves in a similar situation and have some advice about finding a internship besides apply to anything in sight? Alternatively, how hard is it to find a job upon graduation without any previous internships? For the record, she has a GPA of 3.3

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Dangbe posted:

I recently graduated from a University with a bachelors in philosophy. I am very happy I went through with this degree, however, I am discovering that my career plan (software development) is not really the path I want to pursue. I have attained the position and after working for a couple years I want something more, also something that pays better and is more interesting. I love the problem solving part of it but I don't like the 40-50 hrs/week of computer screen staring involved.
CS and EE pay basically identically for people who just graduated, so I wouldn't be so sure that EE will pay better than software development.

AngryFeet
Sep 3, 2009

Dangbe posted:

I am leaning towards Electrical Engineering as it involves a lot of problem solving but also involves some non-'screen staring' work as well.

I dont know about the states, but here you get "University" engineers and "College" engineers. The university ones have BSc's and do design work (computer staring) and the college technicians have diplomas actually build the stuff.

None of my friends who graduated with me (some straight electrical, some mechanical-electrical) do anything other than stare at screens.
(Well, in electrical I guess you get to lean over and stare at the oscilloscope screen)

Dangbe posted:

I guess my questions for you guys are:
-Is taking an accelerated Bachelors (3 years) to get an engineering degree insane?
It really depends on the degree. I would never ever be able to do my degree (Electrical eng & Computer science) in 3 years.

Dangbe posted:

-What are some of the defining characteristics of your work compared to other types of engineering. Contrast Mechanical, Environment, Electrical, etc.
All of these involve designing stuff and writing reports.

Dangbe posted:

-Can any Engineers tell me the types of careers involved with Environmental Engineering and what kind of things does this major focus on.
I had a friend in something like this. He did envoronmental impact assesments and crap. He seemed to like it cos he was outside half the day- But then it was back inside to write reports.

Dangbe posted:

-What should I expect when going back to school... Can I hold a 30hr/week job and finish this program in 3 years?
no.

Dangbe posted:

-Is the school that I attend all that important for the degree?
Sort-of, but after some experience, no.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Dangbe posted:

-Is the school that I attend all that important for the degree?

Some companies tend to recruit only at certain universities, and there will always be a certain sheen to a degree from a place like MIT/Stanford/etc. It can make a difference if you're planning to apply to graduate school, though even here it's somewhat arbitrary.* However, for the most part like many posters have already said, after getting your first job and working for a while it won't be anything more than just another line on your resume. It's certainly not as important as some universities make it out to be; it's amazing the sort of braggadocio that comes from some current student bodies with regards to their US News ranking (I'm looking at you Rose-Hulman). Really, any half-way decent four-year public university with an engineering program should be fine.

This doesn't mean though that you should scrimp when it comes to picking a school. The quality of a department can make or break how much you enjoy what you study (not to mention how well they actually prepare you), and universities with good reputations for educating their students tend to be worth it. I'm not even mentioning all of the aspects of a university which are beyond the immediate academic realm (though as a non-traditional student you likely won't care as much about that). You should definitely do some research before committing yourself anywhere. See how good their hire rates are out of the program, what sort of companies their graduates work for, and if you can talk with some of their students to get an impression what they think about the school. How good is their alumni network (this is the real value of an Ivy League degree, by the way)? How about career services? Is it just a website they hand out to students with random job listings, or is it a real office with staff that can review resumes and cover letters?

*Where you go to graduate school DOES matter, quite a bit. This advice is only for undergraduates.

Dangbe
Dec 2, 2008

falcon2424 posted:

You can program, you're motivated, older, and have specific goals in mind. These are all great things that will make you more interesting to professors.

So, I'd give the college a call, explain your specific interest, and then ask if there are any professors doing alternative energy at the university. Go talk to them and ask these questions.

This'll help you get the questions answered. More importantly, it will put you on the radar of people who can invite you to help out with cool alternative energy research.

Graduating with a degree + research experience + good letters would be really awesome.

This is some really great advice, exactly what I was looking for. I felt like maybe I'd have a disadvantage going in to this major since I am older and already have a bachelors but I now think this could really work in my favor. I have also decided to slow my pace down and take 3-4 classes a semester so I can maintain a high GPA while still making money on the side. The school I plan on going to has a good engineering department focused on research which is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for all of the advice and the encouragement to become an Engineer!

I feel like the thread has been de-railed a bit partially because of me, so let's hear more stories of Engineers being Engineers.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Pfirti86 posted:

*Where you go to graduate school DOES matter, quite a bit. This advice is only for undergraduates.

I agree, but only in the sense that you should be going somewhere doing the research you want to do, not somewhere that has a nice shiny name, just for the sake of the nice shiny name.

I'd rather do research I really enjoy at a no-name school than do research I dislike at MIT or Caltech (my favorite schools).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DNova posted:

I agree, but only in the sense that you should be going somewhere doing the research you want to do, not somewhere that has a nice shiny name, just for the sake of the nice shiny name.

I'd rather do research I really enjoy at a no-name school than do research I dislike at MIT or Caltech (my favorite schools).

For a PhD its who your adviser is, not what school you're at.

On the other hand, I've been given the impression that a master's is basically like a check box on a form that gets you more "points".

krispydude
Oct 21, 2008
I'm 27 and am going back to school for ChemE. I talked to my uncle (who is married with 2 kids) who recently went back at 33 to get a ME degree. My aunt was able to support them while he went back to school and he loves his job now. I however, would like to continue working while going to school. I work for a family business doing insurance work for a flooring company. My hours at work can be flexible if need be and would still like to work around 40 hours if possible. I'll be transferring about 64 credits in to the engineering program so that helps a little bit I guess. What will it be like taking 3-4 classes a semester and working 40 hours? My fiance and I don't go out too much besides the occasional Happy Hour, so there is plenty of time for studying and homework.

I was hoping if a few of the ChemE guys that have popped in to this thread could provide some info on the career itself. Day to day activties, your current job description or past ones, likes/dislikes, stuff like that.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
Not an engineer yet, but I'm returning to school in the spring and during my preparation I've found two good books that cover strategies for studying engineering that might help out a few people in this thread.

This one was recommended to me by the dean of engineering at notre dame: Studying Engineering.

And I found this one on my own by just browsing around the library:
Studying Engineering at University.

You can tell these were both written by engineers as the table of contents has an entry for nearly every paragraph in the book.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

hobbesmaster posted:

For a PhD its who your adviser is, not what school you're at.

I'd say they both play an important role. It just so happens that quite a few of the top scientists in the field happen to be at mostly the best universities. Certainly there are stars in every department, but you're far more likely to run into them at MIT than at Nebraska.

It's all really case-by-case though right? It's not like you typically have to choose between an awesome school but crappy advisers, or a lesser-known school with great people you want to work for. It's really hard to say hard and fast what's more or less important.

DNova posted:

Sure, but life doesn't usually hand out these nice sort of dichotomies. These sorts of hypotheticals are really only true for a few people; most people when they apply to graduate schools pick them based on someone's work in the department. After visiting each one, you get a sense of where you want to go and choose. There are a huge number of topics nicely spread out amongst the elite universities, and most people who can get into them find something they'd love to work on.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 20, 2009

heyniceperro
Mar 22, 2007

You're the one for me, fatty.

Thread Killer posted:

Me and my girlfriend are both juniors in EE and currently are trying to find internships/co-ops for the summer. I think I have a decent shot at getting one because of an internship last summer, but she's really worried about not finding an internship which she equates with being able to find a job upon graduation.

Did anyone here find themselves in a similar situation and have some advice about finding a internship besides apply to anything in sight? Alternatively, how hard is it to find a job upon graduation without any previous internships? For the record, she has a GPA of 3.3

Your gf should have a ridiculously easy time as almost anywhere she applies will be looking for girls to diversify the engineering staff.

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
Hey Guys,

I'm currently on the end of my 3rd year of a Computer Engineering degree, and really, I'd either like to work in Astrospace or the Defence industry. Unfortunately I'm Canadian. I love Canada and all, but we really don't have that much of a market in these fields, and I expect it to be rather difficult to get a company to sponsor me in the States.

Thankfully, before doing my engineering degree I did a 3 year CS program at Cegep, which I guess is similar to your college, and i've been working as a programmer for 3 years now while doing my degree. I'm hoping this will help give me a bit of an edge when applying to companies, but I wanted to know if anyone has heard of companies sponsoring people to come down for these more delicate (security wise) fields of study. Stupid imaginary line, we're not so different up here!

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009
to heyniceperro: not necessarily. The 8 girls in my program (mechatronics) are having an equally tough time finding a job as the guys. I know its a small sample size (sigh...) but I wouldn't take it for granted.

to Cypress: I currently know 3 Canadian engineers working in the US for NASA or the defense industry. I don't know how difficult the process was, and I don't know have any easy way to contact them, but its not impossible, so don't give up!

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006
Senior Civil Engineering student here. I've got a 3.6 GPA, attend North Carolina State, and will be graduating next semester. I would like to continue my education as soon as possible, but I am torn between pursuing the MBA or the MSCE/MSE.

Unfortunately I do not have any internship or real world experience, (I transferred from a community college during Sophomore-year and opted to take slightly larger course loads and summer classes to catch up) so I am afraid I do not have a good feel for "real world" engineering work. The opinions of my professors seem to be somewhat split down the middle when it comes to going for the MBA or MSCE right outside of the BSCE in regards of opening myself up for the most opportunity or getting myself on a satisfying career path. I know that I want to work with/interact people and not be stuck in a closet designing my entire life. Sometimes I feel like I may have belonged more within the psychology track, but then I'd miss out on crushing concrete cylinders or tearing steel beams apart. I'm registered to take the FE this weekend and the GMAT and GRE next week.

Anyone have experience with going for the MBA right away rather than waiting? Or has anyone participated in one of the dual MBA/MSE programs a few schools offer?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 10, 2023

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Cypress posted:

Hey Guys,

I'm currently on the end of my 3rd year of a Computer Engineering degree, and really, I'd either like to work in Astrospace or the Defence industry. Unfortunately I'm Canadian. I love Canada and all, but we really don't have that much of a market in these fields, and I expect it to be rather difficult to get a company to sponsor me in the States.

NAFTA included provisions for skilled professionals to work between countries. The normal stuff you hear about work visas in the US don't really apply to engineers from Canada. If you can get someone to offer you a job you can apply for a TN1 visa and get it reasonably quickly with the right documentation.

You don't have to deal with the crap most people going for work visas have to, with the whole lottery of visas at the beginning of the year, and long application times and quotas and things like that.

I don't know all the details because I just looked fairly superficially into it at one point, but it's worth some attention on your part to see if it applies to you specifically and to figure out exactly what you'd need to do.

So it's a question of getting a job and possibly security clearance. 'Sponsering' and the visa and all that shouldn't be nearly as hard for you, although you'd probably want to have a lawyer or something to make sure you do it all correctly.

In theory you can even apply for a TN1 visa at the border, but I bet you'd be pretty hosed at that point if you got denied.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

Blue Light Special posted:

Anyone have experience with going for the MBA right away rather than waiting? Or has anyone participated in one of the dual MBA/MSE programs a few schools offer?

Any decent school offering MBAs is going to REQUIRE you have to worked in the industry. How do you think you could possibly learn to manage anything when you have no idea how it functions?

From what I've been looking at recently, the combined MBA/MSE programs don't pay for your school nor do the MSCE. The only ones I've seen that pay you to go are thesis MS and PhD, which I think is a huge incentive to get a proper degree. You would have to be into doing research as opposed to just taking more classes.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

SubCrid TC posted:

So it's a question of getting a job and possibly security clearance. 'Sponsering' and the visa and all that shouldn't be nearly as hard for you, although you'd probably want to have a lawyer or something to make sure you do it all correctly.

In theory you can even apply for a TN1 visa at the border, but I bet you'd be pretty hosed at that point if you got denied.

Visas for a 'regular' jobs are easy enough, as you mention. But as the other poster mentions, defense and aerospace actually do require American citizenship.

Cypress: I guess you'll have to shoot for MDA or whatever.

edit: and Bombardier

Phlegmbot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 21, 2009

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Blue Light Special posted:

Senior Civil Engineering student here. I've got a 3.6 GPA, attend North Carolina State, and will be graduating next semester. I would like to continue my education as soon as possible, but I am torn between pursuing the MBA or the MSCE/MSE.

Unfortunately I do not have any internship or real world experience, (I transferred from a community college during Sophomore-year and opted to take slightly larger course loads and summer classes to catch up) so I am afraid I do not have a good feel for "real world" engineering work. The opinions of my professors seem to be somewhat split down the middle when it comes to going for the MBA or MSCE right outside of the BSCE in regards of opening myself up for the most opportunity or getting myself on a satisfying career path. I know that I want to work with/interact people and not be stuck in a closet designing my entire life. Sometimes I feel like I may have belonged more within the psychology track, but then I'd miss out on crushing concrete cylinders or tearing steel beams apart. I'm registered to take the FE this weekend and the GMAT and GRE next week.

A lot of engineering management with MBAs got their position first, and then the degree afterward as formality. You don't need an MBA to interact with people, most civils I know need to interact with customer's regularly. One friend had his tattoos removed because of it. Interacting with others is pretty much required in any modern workplace. You SIMPLY CAN'T be a guy alone in a backroom, that is some 40s WWII stereotype. A lot of engineers do wish they could be left alone though.

Anyway, unless its a top 17 program (or whatever number their tier is), you might as well save the tens of thousands of dollars in tuition. MBAs from otherwise reputable, but not overall elite schools are common. If you want to be an engineering manager and not an i-banker, there is no reason to go to Wharton or something.

If you work yourself into a management potential the company will probably pay for YOU to take some way overpriced, gentleman's quick executive MBA course. Looks like even Harvard is trying to use their good name for some quick corporate money.
http://www.exed.hbs.edu/

Cypress posted:

Hey Guys,

It will be difficult to impossible to work for the American divisions of a aerospace corporation without US citizenship. But most have multi-national divisions anyway, so you could look into that.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 21, 2009

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Dangbe posted:

More Info:
I am specifically interested in alternate energy creation. So after doing a lot of reading today I was thinking Power/Mechanical Engineering, but I don't know if that's a viable major. Some sources point to mechatronics as being the major that deals both with Electrical and Mechanical but I am not sure if I will be able to focus enough on Power Engineering in this major. Maybe do Power Engineering for Bachelors and go for more schooling in Mechatronics afterward?
Power engineering is a very good field, and always in demand. Due to the nature of it, it's very difficult to outsource, and so is rather well protected. It's also a very broad field, where industrial power is different from residential is different from utility.

You're going to be in a team for anything like this; if you want to do alternate power, you can work in the field as a mechanical or a civil even if you have no EE background at all.

One thing you can always do, regardless of what major you select, is take electives from other engineering disciplines. I majored in Engineering Science, which included all the fundamentals of electrical, mechanical, civil, aerospace, industrial and nuclear engineering and then focused in on a particular multidisciplinary field our senior year. I did MEMS (integrating mechanical components into microchips), but a wind turbine certainly falls into the category of "multidisciplinary" where you need EEs for the generator, AEs for the turbine, MEs for the tower, CEs for the foundation, etc.

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

CatchrNdRy posted:

It will be difficult to impossible to work for the American divisions of a aerospace corporation without US citizenship. But most have multi-national divisions anyway, so you could look into that.

I figured this was probably the end result. I had already looked into the possibility of trying to get a Green Card, and eventually Citizenship, but that would take quite a while. I've looked into Defence research in Canada and I need a master's in engineering, so I suppose I'll just have to continue with school after. I like research though so I guess a master's won't be so bad.

To all the engineers with Master's degrees in this thread, what's the course load like for an Engineering Masters? I have one friend from high school doing one in Electrical Engineering and he has 3 courses right now and his next semester is research. I wouldn't mind doing a Master's if it wasn't as intensive course wise as right now, but having rushed 3 years into 2 physical years while working has sort of drained my will. I just want things to slow down.

EDIT: just for content, after this semester (December) I'll have 91.5 credits out of 120, which works out to 8 courses and my project left.

Cypress fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 21, 2009

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

Cypress posted:

To all the engineers with Master's degrees in this thread, what's the course load like for an Engineering Masters? I have one friend from high school doing one in Electrical Engineering and he has 3 courses right now and his next semester is research. I wouldn't mind doing a Master's if it wasn't as intensive course wise as right now, but having rushed 3 years into 2 physical years while working has sort of drained my will. I just want things to slow down.

It was a lot of work.

Summer after undergrad:
All research (I started early because my supervisor offered me funding for the summer. I got me to a conference and a head-start on my research, so it was worth it.) - 10 am to 5 pm

First semester:
3 courses (one with an ungodly amount of work, one with an 'average' amount, and one with very little) - about 6 hours of class per week, and maybe 25 hours of hw per week
research - I'd be in the lab/office roughly 10 am - 5 pm, 10 pm - 2 am most days
TA work (3 hours per week)

Second semester:
2 courses (both fortunately with a small workload) - 15 hrs per week total
research - same hours as above
TA work (3 hours per week)

Summer:
All research all the time - same hours as above

Second year first semester & second year second semester:
Research almost all the time
TA work (5 hours per week)

Second summer:
Thesis writing - 9 am to 5 pm, 10 pm to 12 am

I did an MSEE in electromagnetics. It was worth it.

Phlegmbot fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 21, 2009

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 10, 2023

slorb
May 14, 2002

Thread Killer posted:

This is all anecdotal and may be limited to the area I'm in (QLD, Australia) but EE internships here are being impacted the same way graduate jobs are by the economic situation. Being female used to pretty much assure you of internships and a job at graduation but I'd say that is probably no longer the case. Its still definitely a plus.

Internships are hugely important for graduate jobs. Having just gone through the hiring process I'd put them up there with interviewing well and GPA as the most significant factors in getting hired.

Unfortunately its really a buyers market for students and graduates right now and I don't really have any advice beyond the usual apply early and apply often and network your friends, professors, acquaintances, family etc.

namsdrawkcaBehT
Apr 8, 2007
Old People + Science → Oil

krispydude posted:

I was hoping if a few of the ChemE guys that have popped in to this thread could provide some info on the career itself. Day to day activties, your current job description or past ones, likes/dislikes, stuff like that.

I've been out of uni for 2 years on a B.Eng. At the time I came out with 4 offers. It's a fun job with lots of travelling and seeing interesting places. You'll end up working for an oil or chemical company. Food and pharma jobs are there too but not as common.

There are basically 2 kinds of chemical engineers:
Operations - You'll be given a section of plant to look after and you'll play a central role in keeping things running, improvements and troubleshooting. The other types of engineers will look to you for what to do and you talk to more people. It's more of a hands on role.

And Design - You deisgn bits of plant (or entire plants) like distillation columns, heat exchangers, piping, pumps, reactors etc. Essentially a chemist comes up with a process and your job is to upscale it. This is more of a desk job but you do get to do site visits. Most of the time you're just doing boring rear end datasheets and lists.

I've done both and to be honest it's whether you want more of a hands-on role or a abstract theoretical role. For me half-half would be ideal, but there's good and bad for both. Overall the workplace is quite friendly i.e. no one gives a poo poo how many hours you work or what time you come in as long as the job is done/the plant is running.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Roumba posted:

Get an internship that is engineering relevant. No matter what. Go see the people in person, don't just send your resume, offer to work for free (most internships aren't paid but some are), meet people in the industry, "stalk" them somewhat, so that you happen to "run in to them". Once you get your internship + some experience you GPA won't matter anymore.

A low GPA makes it difficult but not impossible to break into the industry, I can tell you this though, its not going to be easy.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Get an internship that is engineering relevant. No matter what. Go see the people in person, don't just send your resume, offer to work for free (most internships aren't paid but some are), meet people in the industry, "stalk" them somewhat, so that you happen to "run in to them". Once you get your internship + some experience you GPA won't matter anymore.

A low GPA makes it difficult but not impossible to break into the industry, I can tell you this though, its not going to be easy.

Option two is to do the above. And also try for a not-engineering field after you left engineering.

Low-GPA Engineer is worse than High-GPA Engineer. But Low-GPA Engineer is different than High-GPA English major.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Bean_ posted:

Senior (in the "Super" Senior Program) Mining and Minerals Engineering student at Virginia Tech. I have experience in coal mining and aggregates (crushed stone). Its great if you want to move around the country/world, don't mind getting dirty, and want to see huge machinery. My internships have taken me to West Virginia, Ohio, and Virginia. Friends have gone as far west as Montana and Nevada for a few jobs.

Starting pay is pretty drat good. VT Mining averages about $68,000 fresh out. As an intern, I've gotten paid $21.88/hour with housing stipends. I've got friends who have gotten paid upwards of $27/hour with free housing. Job placement has been 100% for over a decade. Hell yeah.

Senior in VT's Mining and Minerals program on the Super Senior plan checking in! I started as an M.E. but finally said gently caress that after 3 years in it and switched to Mining. The pay, the 100% job placement, along with the fact that I've always wanted to blow poo poo up (and mining is 90% blowing poo poo up) were the biggest factors for influencing my decision.

In M.E. I wasn't even excited about getting an internship, but now that I'm in Mining I'm psyched. It's nice to have a pretty good idea what you'll be doing once you graduate, while you're still in school.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Powercrazy posted:

Just don't list your GPA on your resume, and assuming you can't find any internships, do your damndest to work on projects relevant to engineering in your spare time that you can fluff up in some way during the applications process. If the company rejects your application for failing to list your GPA, chances are good they would have rejected it upon seeing your GPA regardless, but many will simply wait until an interview to ask - which at least gets your foot in the door.

The larger the company is, the more likely they are to look at your GPA - the smaller they are, the more likely it is that they won't care as much about that as plain what you can do. Thus, if your dream happens to be to work for a larger firm, just delay that with a few years of working in the field for some smaller group. Get that few years of experience, then poof, no one gives a poo poo about your GPA.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

Sammus posted:

Senior in VT's Mining and Minerals program on the Super Senior plan checking in! I started as an M.E. but finally said gently caress that after 3 years in it and switched to Mining. The pay, the 100% job placement, along with the fact that I've always wanted to blow poo poo up (and mining is 90% blowing poo poo up) were the biggest factors for influencing my decision.

In M.E. I wasn't even excited about getting an internship, but now that I'm in Mining I'm psyched. It's nice to have a pretty good idea what you'll be doing once you graduate, while you're still in school.

Austin? Haha, nice. There's like 4 Mining and Minerals engineers from VT on SA that I know of. That's a pretty flipping high ratio for such a small department.

Also, Mining is the shiz.

Shalinor posted:

Just don't list your GPA on your resume, and assuming you can't find any internships, do your damndest to work on projects relevant to engineering in your spare time that you can fluff up in some way during the applications process. If the company rejects your application for failing to list your GPA, chances are good they would have rejected it upon seeing your GPA regardless, but many will simply wait until an interview to ask - which at least gets your foot in the door.

The larger the company is, the more likely they are to look at your GPA - the smaller they are, the more likely it is that they won't care as much about that as plain what you can do. Thus, if your dream happens to be to work for a larger firm, just delay that with a few years of working in the field for some smaller group. Get that few years of experience, then poof, no one gives a poo poo about your GPA.

This. If its below about a 2.9, I would leave it off. You'd be surprised how many companies do forget to ask about it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Bean_ posted:

Austin? Haha, nice. There's like 4 Mining and Minerals engineers from VT on SA that I know of. That's a pretty flipping high ratio for such a small department.

Also, Mining is the shiz.

Nope, not Austin, I donno any Austins in the department yet, maybe I should attend the Burkhart meetings or something to get to know everyone. And it really is a teeny tiny department. There's what? 30ish of us expecting to graduate in 2011?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recreations in Logic
Jan 17, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Not true in the slightest, engineering internships are paid. In fact they tend to be paid pretty generously.

Yeah for real...I knew people who made $20k over a summer back in undergrad.